Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Mini trip report: TG*G in economy ICN-HKG-BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I flew on TG629 today (9 Nov) and thought I would provide a brief report on service and fast track arrival.

Service
TG629 routes ICN-HKG-BKK departing 1050-1645, with around a 1 hour stop in HKG. Aircraft was 773, I was seated in 32K. On checkin, I asked to be seated in 31 A or 31B, but was told that they were not available. The flight was pretty full in Y. ICN-HKG was 3:10 duration.

Prior to doors closing, the FA approached me, introduced herself, and explained the economy meal choices (I opted for green curry chicken), and asked what I wanted to drink after takeoff. Seats 31H/K were both empty for the first sector.
My drink was served ahead of the main trolley sevice, it came as soon as the curtains were drawn. Likewise, my meal came ahead of the main meal service, and possibly ahead of special meals. I was completed before many of those around me had been served. Same again for the HKG-BKK sector (2:20 duration), although 32H was now occupied. Flight was with the same cabin crew.

This small attention as a TG*G traveling in Y was, I thought, a nice touch to recognise loyaty. I mentioned to the ISM that I was impressed and thought it was well executed and congratulated then FAs concerned. I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't experience this again since they are small 'soft' service touches - but Indid enjoy getting my drink and meals early.

Arrival
We arrived at E10, and so it was a powerwalk to the premium arrivals, with no-one in the queue, and belt 17 immemdiately adjacent for luggage. My bags were in the first 10 out, and I was soon through customs and in a taxi to the Pullman Grande (Asoke) to meet Mrs TK, Traffic, expectedly, was terrible in the final stages.

From my messaging to various folks, the following timeline was derived and may be of interest:

1654 arrive gate E10 BKK
1700 immigration
1701 at belt 17 waiting for bags
1712 first bags
1713 my bags
1718 in taxi
1807 exit expressway onto Asoke near Makkasan
1815 moved only 50m and waiting for a train to pass
1835 arrive Pullman

It took 28 mins to move the last 1.5 km.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 9, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
nice report of smooth traveling!
so did you get fast track at the immigration (you mentioned fast track but usually TG*G do not get when flying in Y)?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
nice report of smooth traveling!
so did you get fast track at the immigration (you mentioned fast track but usually TG*G do not get when flying in Y)?
Yes I used fast track, but not because of TG*G.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... what a great experience.

TG at its best...

PS. He he - I arrived from IST this afternoon and decided to take the Airport Train - looks like it was a wise decision...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:41 pm

Thanks for the review OP. Which lounge did you use in ICN? Did you have a choice?Also, does TG still offer buy-up to business class at the airport?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Asiana Lounge is used for Star Alliance and a few others.

Standby upgrades are still possible but I have not bothered for years ... they are no longer costs effective IMHO. You can access the prices from the Australian THAI page: http://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/pla...y_airport.page
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The Asiana Lounge is used for Star Alliance and a few others.
usually use the Asiana Lounge at the satellite terminal (after the Underground) from which all foreign Airlines leave; they do not honor Platinum Cards with F Access, but Lounge is quite ok
however the Asiana Lounge in the main terminal seems better but also more crowded
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree with BinSabai - I tried both the main lounge and the satellite terminal lounge. The latter has no views but is adequate and functional.

The main lounge was larger and had a nicer atmosphere, and I think slightly better food options.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.