Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG has the best F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by kittiyut
I figured that you are one when you said that the RR Trent (or was it the CFM?) is music to your ears. I wouldn't be surprised if you can tell which engine fan blades turn clockwise or counter clockwise

For me, I prefer the Trent, not for the noise it makes, but for the looks.

As for the "future Australians" remark - that was really a good one - I literally LOL.
I'm merely an enthusiast and someone who really loves flying TG. I couldn't tell you which engines rotate clockwise or counter clockwise without looking if my life depended on it But, this has prompted me to do some research.

Trent is my favorite option on the 777 (I believe TG has all three options on 777s)
a380 Trents beautiful
a330 has beautiful Trent 700s
a340 had beautiful Trent 500s

747-400 I believe are all CF6
737-400 is CFM

Thai Smile must have Trents on the a320 (a319 if they have any of those aircraft ??)

Other carriers have Rolls Royce RBs on 747, 757, 767 etc... Very beautiful as well, but I believe at least on the 747 they are less fuel efficient than the CFMs.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Wow Mike,

You really do take your engines seriously...definitely geeky.....my geekiness gravitates more towards counting the number of individual caviar eggs in a serving, and measuring how chilled the "chilled vodka" is......and I agree with all your comments about the F section on the 747 vs A380. I love the 747s and I remember the F section on the Pan Am 747s, beautiful old birds. Potentially giving my age away here now.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Wow Mike,

You really do take your engines seriously...definitely geeky.....my geekiness gravitates more towards counting the number of individual caviar eggs in a serving, and measuring how chilled the "chilled vodka" is......and I agree with all your comments about the F section on the 747 vs A380. I love the 747s and I remember the F section on the Pan Am 747s, beautiful old birds. Potentially giving my age away here now.
Oh, I take catering very seriously too I love to have a few glasses of Dom, but I'm usually found drinking a french chardonnay. I love it when they have a good one with nice minerality.

I realize some other airlines are considered to have catering that's a bit more polished, but TG's is damn good. My recent lobster Thermidor was more than nice. I am also crazy about TG's massaman curry.

I love the Privacy of 744 F semi suites. Whoever makes those seats (Sogerma?) seems to have had me in mind when they designed them - everything is where it should be and easy to use. Love the orchid next to my IFE screen. Love Rimowa amenity kits. Love TG service. Love when my bags are the very first off the belt. Everything about TG really.

I am in my 30s, and never got to fly Pan Am, sadly. I am just old enough though, to remember when TWA was still a grat airline, before Ichan destroyed it. I have childhood memories of flying TWA, AA, and DL back when they were better airlines. I used to get to visit the cockpit and get presents like a "wings" pin bearing the airline's logo.

I am so glad now to fly the flag carrier of my adoptive nation, which I love. And it's great that flying TG is still a civilized experience, unlike travel in some other countries.

---

Now, on a more serious note, what aircraft will have F in the future after the 744s are (very sadly) retired?
Of course there will still be a380, but I would like to see a 777 F cabin. Or, maybe it could be 787 or a350?

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:08 am

I'm flying TG F for the very first time from BKK to SYD in a couple of days. I'm based in Melbourne, so it's taken a while to justify going to Sydney just to fly F.

How long do you recommend I should have at the airport? Are the facilities and lounges worth more than the 3 hours there? Any other tips and tricks you recommend for a first timer? Ive booked myself in 1A in the new 747 config. I know it's been said here that 2A is better, but there's just something about having 1A on the ticket stub isn't there? Haha

I only ever fly J, so I excuse myself from the best F conversation...
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wozup12
I'm flying TG F for the very first time from BKK to SYD in a couple of days. I'm based in Melbourne, so it's taken a while to justify going to Sydney just to fly F.

How long do you recommend I should have at the airport? Are the facilities and lounges worth more than the 3 hours there? Any other tips and tricks you recommend for a first timer? Ive booked myself in 1A in the new 747 config. I know it's been said here that 2A is better, but there's just something about having 1A on the ticket stub isn't there? Haha

Once you fly F you begin to feel that a lounge is a lounge is a lounge, but for your experience arrive 2.5 hours early, do a one hour spa treatment and eat in the lounge and enjoy!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
the Lounges in SYD (SQ and NZ) are ok but not sooo outstanding to arrive more than 2 hours before departure
Try DOM, which is really an excellent champagne
Try ice-cold Vodka with the caviar, if they forget the vodka, while serving you caviar, ask for it
up to you whether you would like to try preorder meal, usually they have usually 4 main dishes to choose from on the regular menu
enjoy!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wozup12

Three to three and a half hours. This allows you to comfortably check in, have a drink in the lounge, have a relaxed one hour spa treatment, then a final hour in the lounge before you need to head to the gate.

Two hours is really cutting it fine given you have to leave the lounge about 20 minutes before departure to board. If you were dispensing with the massage two hours would be fine.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:53 am

I agree with three to three and a half hours. I always budget ample time to get from my home to BKK. Then between Starbucks coffee, King Power duty free, Royal Orchid Spa for 30~60 minutes depending on J or F, and some time to read or look at airplanes from the lounges, and three hours just fly by.

I love the TG ground experience at BKK, even in J. Short of flying privately on MJETS out of DMK, it doesn't get much better than flying TG.

But, still looking forward to AF 777 F ex CDG when I get the chance^
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow - 97 replies on normally veryyyyy slow forum

My take on this:

I do not have much experience with F (BA, AA, TG, OZ, LH) but IMHO TG is the best with the price/product ratio. For some markets their F fares are really extremely competitive.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I do not have much experience with F (BA, AA, TG, OZ, LH) but IMHO TG is the best with the price/product ratio. For some markets their F fares are really extremely competitive.
so for which markets? there are not so many left...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BRK-B
I was in doubt with this thread's title.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
so for which markets? there are not so many left...
Australia.

There are only a handful of carriers that fly F to Asia and QF only just announced their return to SIN. TG F prices equal QF J prices.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Australia.

There are only a handful of carriers that fly F to Asia and QF only just announced their return to SIN. TG F prices equal QF J prices.
thanks. interesting. tickets from BKK do not seem to be cheap, online over 5000 USD in F versus below 3000 USD in J
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks. interesting. tickets from BKK do not seem to be cheap, online over 5000 USD in F versus below 3000 USD in J
Are you checking return?

SYD-BKK is cheap.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Are you checking return?

SYD-BKK is cheap.
yes return!
tickets BKK-xxx-BKK are usually more expensive then xxx-BKK-xxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.