FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG has the best F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1863224-tg-has-best-f.html)

m0hamed Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

TG has the best F

We only fly F internationally and after our first TG F experience I am left most impressed.

We expected old F but got TG'd for new F ex SYD and also had the new product on the return.

What sets TG apart from the rest?

QF crew are far too casual. A388 F is not private enough as people see you walking up and down the aisle. Older 744 senior crew used to be exemplary but many of them, like the fleet, have retired.

BA was good until you take a MF route and endure the worst service ever in F. Never again.

EK and EY crew are too young to understand good service. They do the job for the money and because their accommodation is paid for. The service is transactional and perfunctory. Obviously the EK Apartments are incredible but the space feels cavernous. The EY apartment beds are very, very hard.

On TG the hard product on the 744s is great. No doors for privacy but when you take 1A and K you feel like you are the only pax on the aircraft.

The food was spectacular. Full caviar service. So thoughtful even the Vodka glasses are frozen. Never had that on EK. We only ate the Thai food and every meal was spectacular.

But it's the service the wins hands down. The crew go above and beyond and anticipate your needs without you need to ask - That's what F is supposed to be.

Upon serving an Amuse bouche I told the FA my husband is allergic to crustacea. She quickly whisked it away and substituted it with elements from other dishes. Incredible.

Not once was a glass left empty or did we need to ask for refills, whether it was water or liqour. Our beds were made while we changed into our PJs.

Frankly the only negative was the F lounge at BKK experience because of the noise from the boarding announcements. We chose to leave the semi private rooms and sit in the main area but it very much detracted from the experience. We didn't eat in the F Lounge, the photos of the iPad were very much point and shoot and hardly appealing. But they were the only negatives.

Overall we were so impressed with TG we will fly them for all of our Asian vacations and possibly beyond.

Thank you to BinSabai for answering my many questions in advance of this trip.

BinSabai Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm

you are welcome!
hope the answers were more or less accurate and am glad you enjoyed the trips

Unterwegs Aug 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Looks like did not sample enough different airlines in F.

Let me suggest to try the following F products:
CX F (very wide seats, very comfortable, 3 across in a 777)
AF F
LH F (especially on the 380 and 747-800)
LX F (especially on the 777 and 330)
Or try NH, OZ or SQ

Also check out the following lounges:
AF FCL in CDG
LH FCT and FCL in FRA and MUC
The new LX FCL in ZRH

You might come to a different conclusion. TG F is not bad, but it is nowhere near the best in my opinion.

SFO777 Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 28737358)
Looks like did not sample enough different airlines in F. You might come to a different conclusion. TG F is not bad, but it is nowhere near the best in my opinion.

Indeed.
OP needs to get out more. IMO...

1. Air France
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Qatar
4. Emirates
5. Etihad
6. Lufthansa
7. Cathay Pacific
8. Singapore
9. Swiss
10. ANA
11. JAL
12. Qantas
13. Korean
14. Malaysia
15. Asiana
16. Thai
17. American
18. British
19. Air China
20. United

m0hamed Aug 25, 2017 9:46 pm

I have flown QF, BA, AA, EK, EY and now TG.

My comments stem from my own experience.

The service is what made the flight. I have not flown LH F but the hard product in the air looks terrible and not to my taste. QR I also would not fly because of the product.

SFO777 Aug 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 28737407)
I have flown QF, BA, AA, EK, EY and now TG.
My comments stem from my own experience. The service is what made the flight. I have not flown LH F but the hard product in the air looks terrible and not to my taste. QR I also would not fly because of the product.

Like I said, you need to get out more.

BinSabai Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 28737395)
Indeed.
OP needs to get out more. IMO...

1. Air France
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Qatar
4. Emirates
5. Etihad
6. Lufthansa
7. Cathay Pacific
8. Singapore
9. Swiss
10. ANA
11. JAL
12. Qantas
13. Korean
14. Malaysia
15. Asiana
16. Thai
17. American
18. British
19. Air China
20. United

is this your own ranking? I would never bring TG down to the Level of the US or Chinese carriers. Also re friendlyness of the service, the Europeans can hardly compete

agreed that there are slightly better Lounges like LH, LX and SQ (reserved for their own premium passengers), but TG's spa beats this

SFO777 Aug 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 28737504)
is this your own ranking? I would never bring TG down to the Level of the US or Chinese carriers. Also re friendlyness of the service, the Europeans can hardly compete. agreed that there are slightly better Lounges like LH, LX and SQ (reserved for their own premium passengers), but TG's spa beats this

How many First Class products have flown recently if at all?
And yes, this is my ranking. That's what IMO means. ;)

BinSabai Aug 26, 2017 12:31 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 28737612)
How many First Class products have flown recently if at all?

not 20 like you but more then half a dozen of them...enough to comment...

wheresmybagba Aug 26, 2017 2:29 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 28737064)
The food was spectacular. Full caviar service. So thoughtful even the Vodka glasses are frozen. Never had that on EK. We only ate the Thai food and every meal was spectacular.

But it's the service the wins hands down. The crew go above and beyond and anticipate your needs without you need to ask - That's what F is supposed to be.

Upon serving an Amuse bouche I told the FA my husband is allergic to crustacea. She quickly whisked it away and substituted it with elements from other dishes. Incredible.

All sounds great...however we had a pretty different experience last Saturday ex CDG. Firstly no Vodka service was offered with caviar, I had have it before and expected it but just assumed it was discontinued.

My partner doesn't eat any seafood. Therefore as you would know much of the F menu is suddenly no longer applicable because there are no choices other than the main. Even having told the FA before take off that he doesn't want any of the offerings before the main, that was ignored and all seafood amuse bouche was dropped on the table. Then caviar was served too at which point he did speak up and remind her that he wouldn't eat any of this. Nothing else was offered, and I wouldn't expect that based on the menu. However I do find it poor that there is no choice of starter...if I can get that in J on many carriers why not F on TG?

No PDB alcoholic drinks at CDG - they said they weren't allowed to - but only after taking orders from everyone for Champagne! Is this true by the way??

m0hamed Aug 26, 2017 2:31 am

That's terrible! But I guess there's a good and bad crew.

kittiyut Aug 26, 2017 2:39 am

How very snobbish of people to suggest the OP to get out more or sample other airlines!

Me and my partner flew a combined BIS of more than 8 million miles (my partner alone 5.5m on United (had his name painted on one of their A319, now lifetime GS), >1m on CX almost 1m on BA - he even flew on the Concord), spent over $120,000 on premium airfare already this year. I wouldn't even dare to suggest anything like that to other people.

I just flew TG F from BKK to LHR on the 25th Aug (seat 2K A380) and would say that I am very impressed with almost everything (except the onboard WiFi which is very slow and expensive). It is refreshing to see (read) what the OP wrote. I do agree with the OP - I prefer the 9 seat F in 744 over the F seat in the A380 but I would prefer 2A/2K over 1A/1K when traveling alone. For everything else, I would rather be on the A380 :)

Maybe somebody is going to come along and suggest me to try another airline on the BKK-LHR route? Or perhaps haven't flown enough? :) :)

wheresmybagba Aug 26, 2017 2:47 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 28737912)
That's terrible! But I guess there's a good and bad crew.

Agreed. Still wouldn't change the fact that the F menu is dominated by seafood with no choice offered. There is a 'seafood meal' spml option but not a 'no seafood meal' option! I believe F class should offer a choice of starter at least. Obviously wouldn't expect a choice of amuse bouche or caviar alternative.

BinSabai Aug 26, 2017 3:03 am

agreed with the good and bad Crew! have experienced both but far more good Crews!
I also experienced once that they did not serve Vodka along the Caviar and I simply ask for it and they brought it immediately.
If you fly F and don't like seafood, you should tell it to TG at least 2-3 days before the flight and I am sure they will arrange alternatives.
I am also pretty certain that there was a main course available without seafood, and cheese and sweets were not from the sea either.
a good crew would have tried to offer something else (out of other main courses) for the starter and the amuse bouche, but probably not for the Caviar, as there are many people who do not take Caviar

m0hamed Aug 26, 2017 3:40 am

Originally Posted by kittiyut (Post 28737924)
How very snobbish of people to suggest the OP to get out more or sample other airlines!

Me and my partner flew a combined BIS of more than 8 million miles (my partner alone 5.5m on United (had his name painted on one of their A319, now lifetime GS), >1m on CX almost 1m on BA - he even flew on the Concord), spent over $120,000 on premium airfare already this year. I wouldn't even dare to suggest anything like that to other people.

I just flew TG F from BKK to LHR on the 25th Aug (seat 2K A380) and would say that I am very impressed with almost everything (except the onboard WiFi which is very slow and expensive). It is refreshing to see (read) what the OP wrote. I do agree with the OP - I prefer the 9 seat F in 744 over the F seat in the A380 but I would prefer 2A/2K over 1A/1K when traveling alone. For everything else, I would rather be on the A380 :)

Maybe somebody is going to come along and suggest me to try another airline on the BKK-LHR route? Or perhaps haven't flown enough? :) :)

Some people feel the need to make others feel inferior. I have not listed the number of flights I have taken on those airlines in F but it is significant.

At the end of the day F should be about everything you need anticipated and of those I have flown TG blew the rest out of the water.