Search

Transiting at ARN with checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Transiting at ARN with checked baggage

Hi all,

I'll be doing TG960 BKK-ARN in July and have a 55m Layover (with checked luggage), going on a BA flight after to LHR.

1) Do you think TG will check my luggage through to the BA flight?
2) For anyone who has travelled through ARN recently, do you think a 45-55m layover to be a bit tight? These are the only flights that work, looked at OSL/CPH-LON already but I have to arrive in LON before 10:30 am.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:51 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Big gamble on this one. You're basically banking on everything clicking right on or flight arriving early. You need to get from terminal 5 to 2.

If you have to be in London by 1030, TG910 is the way to go.

Otherwise TG960-SK525 is better than connecting to BA. TG are more likely to through check bags and you stay in Terminal 5. Still a gamble if on separate tickets.

Last edited by THD; Jun 3, 2017 at 2:48 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
very risky!
flight on such long distance can be easily 30-45 minutes early but also late. I would not risk it
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I'm not sure about checking baggage through but even if they do at T5 you will need to clear immigration and that can be a long queue if you're at the end of the non EU citizen line.

Then walk past the baggage carousels and then land-side at T5 and basically just keep walking. It's all indoors but I would say it's a brisk 10 minute walk then you will need to clear immigration (to leave EU) again before boarding your flight - or waving to it as it takes off without you (more likely).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I'm not sure about checking baggage through but even if they do at T5 you will need to clear immigration and that can be a long queue if you're at the end of the non EU citizen line.

Then walk past the baggage carousels and then land-side at T5 and basically just keep walking. It's all indoors but I would say it's a brisk 10 minute walk then you will need to clear immigration (to leave EU) again before boarding your flight - or waving to it as it takes off without you (more likely).
you sure about that?
poster is traveling from non Schengen to non Schengen. at other European Airports, he could stay in non Schengen transit area and would not need to clear immigration, but I am not so familiar with ARN
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have done transfers at ARN numerous time but only SK to SK flights at T5 which works very well; 55 will be plenty of time even if you arrive from non-Schengen but I have no idea with T5 to T2 tranfer (if you can remain airside etc).

TG in Thailand is quite good at checking bags to final destination when on separate tickets (at least at CNX and HKT; I have no experience with TG at BKK but I would expect the same approach) so there is a fair chance that bags will be tagged to LHR despite that you are on BA to LHR (if it was SK ARN-LHR I would be almost certain that TG would check bags to LHR)

But I agree it is a risky connection and the OP needs to prepare him/her self that it might go wrong.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jun 4, 2017 at 1:32 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by BennyW
Hi all,

I'll be doing TG960 BKK-ARN in July and have a 55m Layover (with checked luggage), going on a BA flight after to LHR.

2) For anyone who has travelled through ARN recently, do you think a 45-55m layover to be a bit tight? These are the only flights that work, looked at OSL/CPH-LON already but I have to arrive in LON before 10:30 am.

Thanks in advance.
I have done *A non Schengen to non Schengen (same terminal) transfers at ARN before. Light transit security screening without much of a line as relatively few passengers are doing it. For your questions:

1) If you are booking on a single ticket TG should be able to interline your checked bag thru to your final destination. If you are on separate tickets it is highly unlikely as TG and BA are not in the same alliance.

2) If you have to change terminals at ARN a 45-55m layover is not advisable.

SL
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SunLover
1) If you are booking on a single ticket TG should be able to interline your checked bag thru to your final destination. If you are on separate tickets it is highly unlikely as TG and BA are not in the same alliance.
Things work a bit easier in Thailand! Check-in agents are not that strict about alliances, separate tickets etc. If they are able to do, most agents will most likely tag bags to final destination (to keep the customer happy/do avoid an argument).
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:44 am

I have done *A non Schengen to non Schengen (same terminal) transfers at ARN before. Light transit security screening without much of a line as relatively few passengers are doing it.
so this goes without immigration (like at many other European Airports) right?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Things work a bit easier in Thailand! Check-in agents are not that strict about alliances, separate tickets etc. If they are able to do, most agents will most likely tag bags to final destination (to keep the customer happy/do avoid an argument).
The assumption that BA must accept transfer bags on a ticket that does not originate with them is shaky. Say the OP is *G flying TG and is allowed 2 checked bags @ 70 lbs each. He then transfers to BA Y on a separate ticket where the checked bag allowance is 1 bag @ 50 lbs. ?????

Relying on Thai logic can be a recipe for disaster. Anything can be done, but it increases risk and complication down line.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
so this goes without immigration (like at many other European Airports) right?
Correct; this has been my experience at ARN T5, specifically UA -> TG and TG -> UA.

SL
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

TG in Thailand is quite good at checking bags to final destination when on separate tickets (at least at CNX and HKT; I have no experience with TG at BKK but I would expect the same approach) so there is a fair chance that bags will be tagged to LHR despite that you are on BA to LHR (if it was SK ARN-LHR I would be almost certain that TG would check bags to LHR)
This is good the hear. We are flying ICN-BKK-OSL on TG J, then on a separate tix OSL-LHR on SK Y.

We have a long 12 hours connection in BKK so will collect our single checked bag, and then hopefully TG in BKK will check bags through to LHR so we can stay airside at OSL. We have 5 hours+ in OSL so no drama if bags cannot be checked through.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The assumption that BA must accept transfer bags on a ticket that does not originate with them is shaky.
If TG at BKK accepts to tag bags to LHR then it is unlikely that BA at OSL will make any fuss. On which grounds should BA refuse to load the bags if properly tagged to LHR? It will be treated as any other transfer luggage (even if allowed weight limitations are slightly exceeded). It is not like the ground staff loading the aircrafts will be enforcing certain carriers' luggage restrictions (they couldn't care less if BA refuse to tag bags to final destination when on separate tickets).
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:18 pm

If TG at BKK accepts to tag bags to LHR then it is unlikely that BA at OSL will make any fuss. On which grounds should BA refuse to load the bags if properly tagged to LHR? It will be treated as any other transfer luggage (even if allowed weight limitations are slightly exceeded). It is not like the ground staff loading the aircrafts will be enforcing certain carriers' luggage restrictions (they couldn't care less if BA refuse to tag bags to final destination when on separate tickets).
I am talking about heightened possibilities here. There are many reasons BA could flag, question, hold, quarantine, or refuse a baggage transfer. We agree to disagree.

SL
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by BinSabai
you sure about that?
poster is traveling from non Schengen to non Schengen. at other European Airports, he could stay in non Schengen transit area and would not need to clear immigration, but I am not so familiar with ARN
Arlanda (ARN) has different terminals. TG (Star Alliance) uses T5, BA (One World) uses T2. Here's a reference that will help : https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/airlines/#gref

Apart from immigration (non-Schengen to Schengen) then immigration (Schengen to non-Schengen) the OP will also have security going air-side at T2.

Sorry, but it really isn't going to work.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by BennyW
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
It looks like you will have more luck with your bags though. According to their website TG interlines with BA:

http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/Ter...e_partner.page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.