Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways A350 flying to MEL in July?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Gus
I understand that the A359 is being removed from the LHR route next month to be replaced by the 77W, and the 359 is back on the Melbourne flights. TG apparently need more business class seats on it's London flights, 42 against 32.
MEL has a double daily TG service. One of those services switched to the A350 late last year. The second is slated to do the same from 1 Feb this year. It looks like that plane is coming from the London flight as both changes happen the same day.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I noticed the A330 made an appearance again this week on TG465/6.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Looking forward to travelling solo on A350 Royal Silk class, any thoughts on the best seats?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qrctraveller68
Looking forward to travelling solo on A350 Royal Silk class, any thoughts on the best seats?
The A or K seats are best, beside the window and quite private. 15A/K being the pick of the bunch. The rest are too close to the galley or WCs (and there is substantial noise from the galley at the rear of the biz class cabin as it’s used to prepare coach meals. So lots of noise, and for extended periods of time.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The A or K seats are best, beside the window and quite private. 15A/K being the pick of the bunch. The rest are too close to the galley or WCs (and there is substantial noise from the galley at the rear of the biz class cabin as it’s used to prepare coach meals. So lots of noise, and for extended periods of time.
I concur with above..... A & K are the ones.

As this is the single international route i regularly travel, it was with great anticipation i awaited the arrival of this aircraft. After many a flight on the A330, and then flirting with a 777, only to be swapped out on me twice, anything was an improvement. But i have to say, once in the seat, i was very disappointed with the offering.

Great plane!! Don't get me wrong - love it! - but such a lost opportunity for Thai with the seat selection. Yes there are other airlines with similar, but there are others that are leapfrogging ahead. I guess im already being spoiled with the QR & SQ offerings,

The seat is very narrow and in lie flat not much room for a tall person, with space in foot well also tight. The aisle seats further disadvantaged being open to movements in the aisle - so lying on your side, with legs bent because of lack of room length wise, and between seat wall and aisle was plain uncomfortable.

A & K are window seats without the aisle issues, but same narrow/length issues. With 2/3 of the seats on the aisle, thats makes them very premium seats IMO.

The limitations so great that i have to say, i will not be considering the night flight anytime soon.

Yes aisles rear of cabin are closest to busier economy gallery.

After my first flight on the A350, I wrote to TG expressing my disappointment (and to comment on service issues on that flight). Interestingly i did not get a reply. First time that has happened, as i have written in the past, both positive & negative feedback, and have had a reply. (no resolution, but corporate acknowledgement nonetheless).

next flight booked. daytime. window seat.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:23 am

Will be flying A350 BKK-MEL soon in Y with family.
Any other tips / suggestions
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: qantas frequent flyer platinum
20th August we do tg466 in business then onto Frankfurt! Looking forward to the a350. As a couple travelling we opted for the “honeymoon seats” in row 11.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrisFFlyer
20th August we do tg466 in business then onto Frankfurt! Looking forward to the a350. As a couple travelling we opted for the “honeymoon seats” in row 11.
TBH i can’t see any advantage of those seats being so close to the forward galley and WCs. I’d still be shooting for seats in the mid cabin.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:39 am

TBH i can’t see any advantage of those seats being so close to the forward galley and WCs. I’d still be shooting for seats in the mid cabin.

My mistake I just checked my booking and we are actually row 14 E & F.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrisFFlyer

My mistake I just checked my booking and we are actually row 14 E & F.
^
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dave111
Will be flying A350 BKK-MEL soon in Y with family.
Any other tips / suggestions
Depends on a few things. If your ticket is W or V class, then you will be consigned to the rear of the aircraft, if a higher economy sub-class, K/T/Q/H you will be able to select almost any seat in the economy cabin less exit row and bassinet.

It then really depends on numbers of kids and things like proximity to toilets and are window seats important etc.

We usually preferred the centere block of 3 (or 4) for ease of exit. Parent on aisles and kids in the middle. More so for the flights BKK-AKL as these are overnight.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ozmouse
As this is the single international route i regularly travel, it was with great anticipation i awaited the arrival of this aircraft. After many a flight on the A330, and then flirting with a 777, only to be swapped out on me twice, anything was an improvement. But i have to say, once in the seat, i was very disappointed with the offering.

Great plane!! Don't get me wrong - love it! - but such a lost opportunity for Thai with the seat selection. Yes there are other airlines with similar, but there are others that are leapfrogging ahead. I guess im already being spoiled with the QR & SQ offerings,
The newer SQ J seat on the A350 receives a lot of negative feedback...particularly with regard to sleeping position. It certainly looks amazing, but for many is ergonomically flawed. I haven't really been a fan of any SQ J seats for 10 years now...particularly the wide benches that first appeared on the A380.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
The newer SQ J seat on the A350 receives a lot of negative feedback...particularly with regard to sleeping position. It certainly looks amazing, but for many is ergonomically flawed. I haven't really been a fan of any SQ J seats for 10 years now...particularly the wide benches that first appeared on the A380.

I have flown the SQ A350 J seat a few times between bne-sin it is visually a very nice seat however terrible for sleeping and still awkward in recline.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:02 pm

Thanks - We have made the seat selections already.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Depends on a few things. If your ticket is W or V class, then you will be consigned to the rear of the aircraft, if a higher economy sub-class, K/T/Q/H you will be able to select almost any seat in the economy cabin less exit row and bassinet.

It then really depends on numbers of kids and things like proximity to toilets and are window seats important etc.

We usually preferred the centere block of 3 (or 4) for ease of exit. Parent on aisles and kids in the middle. More so for the flights BKK-AKL as these are overnight.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the quick response - I did choose 15A, so I can't wait for the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.