Search

Transit LHR - BKK - Samui at BKK on TG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum
Transit LHR - BKK - Samui at BKK on TG

Hello everyone

I am travelling on the above routing in a few weeks time and wondered what the procedure is for the BKK - Samui leg?

I believe we stay airside and follow the signage for connecting flights to Samui (and a few other domestic destinations), clearing a dedicated passport control for those flights, before proceeding to the A or B concourse where our domestic flights will depart from?

If the above is incorrect can you please tell me the correct process?

If it is correct can you answer the following questions for me?

1. Presumably BPs will be issued at LHR for the BKK - Samui leg?
2. Will luggage be tagged through to Samui and I will not need to collect it in BKK?
3. As I have a long layover in BKK - circa 9h - is there an option to go landside -i.e. clear "normal" passport control rather than spend 9h airside? (May try and get a day room at the Novotel, or a spa, or possibly go into BKK).

If so what would be the process for going back airside for my Samui flight?

4. If I decide / have no choice but to stay airside for 9h does anyone have any experience of the "pay to enter" Louis Tavern CIP lounge in Concourse A?

(I believe that the Louis Tavern "day room" hotel airside in Concourse G is not accessible for passengers travelling to Samui and other domestic destinations?)

Finally what would be the process in reverse when I come back from Samui when I also have a long layover!

Thanks, as ever, for all help.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
process: correct
1. question: yes
2. question: yes
3. question: instead of going to domestic transit you go to arrival, through immigration and out of the airport; back through domestic security (B/C area) or check in first at F area (Bangkok Airways check in) if you have no boarding pass yet, and into domestic departure area
4. Louis Tavern is in international departure area, so no access
From Samui when you have a longer layover and would like to leave airport, you should check in as a domestic passenger (and not international with C.I.P sticker) and in BKK leave domestic arrival area and then after layover check in in BKK normally and go through immigration to the international departure area
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly, waiting 9 hours in BKK because TG only has two daily flights to USM is far from optimal. PG (Bangkok airways) has over twenty daily flights. Same for the return.
You are basically losing two days of beach vacation and will have to pay for day rooms.

I am also a bit surprised that you were not offered the morning TG281 if you connect from TG911. That is the usual connection.

You will be issued your BP for BKK-USM in London. You should do what BinSabai suggested to go landside. But I do not think that the checkin counters for domestic TG flights are in F area.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
You will be issued your BP for BKK-USM in London. You should do what BinSabai suggested to go landside. But I do not think that the checkin counters for domestic TG flights are in F area.
sorry, yes check in for domestic flights for TG in B (J and *G) and C area; F is for Bangkok Airways, the former monopolist for Samui
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum
Smile

[QUOTE=brunos;25699665]Frankly, waiting 9 hours in BKK because TG only has two daily flights to USM is far from optimal. PG (Bangkok airways) has over twenty daily flights. Same for the return.
You are basically losing two days of beach vacation and will have to pay for day rooms.

I am also a bit surprised that you were not offered the morning TG281 if you connect from TG911. That is the usual connection.

Sadly this is part of a big family trip with family members meeting up in Samui from the UK and Australia which was organised by a family member who has rather less experience in such matters than the average FT member!

For the sake of family harmony I will have to go along with the arrangements..... (including travelling in a part of the plane that will be quite alien to me )

Thanks for all the help - one final question

The e ticket shows 30kg baggage allowance. Will this also be the case for the BKK - UMS sector?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
The e ticket shows 30kg baggage allowance. Will this also be the case for the BKK - UMS sector?
Yep.

Why not go into town if you're by yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.