Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not one published by THAI as far as I know - but the list is short in any case, and can vary in type 380/744 for the European destinations and Tokyo. There has been seasonal F as well to places such as KIX, ICN but nothing at present AKAIK.

Long haul: LHR, CDG, FRA, SYD
Med haul: NRT

Sometimes the 744 is used without the F cabin being sold (eg DPS, BOM, DEL) and it is possible to be seated in the F section with J service - usually limited to status holders and 'VIPs' depending on the load.
perfect answer as always; just to add that the second airport in Tokyo HND has also flights with F, currently both daily flights are on 747 while NRT has one of currently daily three on A380, while the other two have no F
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
TG634 which leaves BKK at 0725 to TPE is usually on the old 777 while TG632 at 0815 is on the brand new 787-9
so I would rather go for the later flight in order to have more time at the airport even the seat width is one Inch smaller on the 787-9
I agree with BinSabai. The newer aircraft, and a reasonable 2 hrs connection leaves enough time for all the things an infant and toddler may need at a sensible pace.

It could take 20mins to move to the departure gate if arrival and departure gates are far apart - although, ironically, a bus gate arrival might actually speed things up in that case for you! The walk distance is around 1200-1400m in the very worst case of maximum gate distance.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
In edge cases maybe (C8 to E8 for instance) but the international bus gate drop off point at D4 places pax as far from transit security as the furthest jetbridge.
Thanks, all. I figured giving myself extra time might be the best idea. Thanks for confirming that.

On another note, can anyone help with a point of sale question. Was hoping to use my US-based card points to pay for all (or at least part) of the cost. However, looks like buying off TG's site, or other India point of sale (Indian OTAs like Cleartrip) yields a Q fare that is less than half of the lowest fare I'm seeing from US-based OTAs, also Q fares - USD$330 vs. close to USD$700. I know that carriers sometimes have different availability or fares filed in one point of sale vs. another, but never seen anything this drastic, especially given both of these are booking into same fare class (I'd expect this if the US OTAs were booking into, say, Y vs. Q, but that's apparently not the case). Is this normal - any opinions on whether the US price would come close to what I'd get booking from TG site?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
What is your concern exactly? If using your US credit card on THAI’s Indian portal bothers you THAI also has a global portal.

Certainly country of sale can yield lower/higher prices - in this case if Thai’s site is cheaper what is holding you back!?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: TG Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
However, looks like buying off TG's site, or other India point of sale (Indian OTAs like Cleartrip) yields a Q fare that is less than half of the lowest fare I'm seeing from US-based OTAs, also Q fares - USD$330 vs. close to USD$700.
Can you give an example booking/flight please?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:02 am

What is your concern exactly? If using your US credit card on THAI’s Indian portal bothers you THAI also has a global portal.

Certainly country of sale can yield lower/higher prices - in this case if Thai’s site is cheaper what is holding you back!?
I do not see any risk associated with any TG website. Is there something I am
missing about this?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I do not see any risk associated with any TG website. Is there something I am
missing about this?
Not worried about using a card on Thai's site - I've done that a few times before. If I didn't make it clear, would prefer to use some of my credit card reward points to cover the flight cost. In order to do that, I need to use the card issuer's (Chase's) booking portal, which is essentially a customized version of the US version of Expedia. Since it's essentially a US OTA, the reward (or cash) prices given there are based on a US point of sale. I'll probably in the end booking on TG site, since the price difference is so much. Just would have preferred to use reward points.

Originally Posted by 1786771
Can you give an example booking/flight please?
Yes. Looking at BLR-TPE on Jan 12, which shows either TG 326/631 (1 hour 10 minute connection in BKK) or TG 326/634 (2 hour connection in BKK). TG site shows a K fare for 23441 INR, (~$330 USD)/person, or a Q fare for 25898 INR (~367 USD). I can't get the Chase portal to even bring up the connection to 634 anymore (which is my preferred connection) - at least not with a simple BLR-TPE search, but the connection to 632 now showing a cost of $657 USD/person (it was $710 a day or two ago, so that's come down a bit). That's also a Q fare (thought clearly a different specific basis, and so was the higher fare a couple of days ago). I've seen in the past, say, a higher fare class only on the US point of sale, which would drive the price up, but never such a difference with same fare class.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK thanks. I am not familiar with US credit cards and the massive variety of benefits (at least compared to NZ).

I am intrigued that you had hoped to burn some points on a Chase card, via an associated OTA portal, which results in a revenue fare being issued on TG ticket stock (217)? If so, it seems that the 'problem' is somehow at the US end - probably with the customised version of Expedia you mention. have you looked to see what Expedia (normal US site) is quoting for your journey?

If buying on TG's portal, then note it may be worth checking if the earn difference between K and Q is worth the additional USD 37 for whatever program you will accrue to.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Follow-up. It is certainly a US vs Indian point of sale matter,as well as fare class.

Dummy bookings on different Expedia portals shows:

expedia.com TG Q class USD 717 (nothing else offered)
expedia.co.in TG V class USD 320 (INR 22,653)

THAI web TG V class USD 314 (INR 22, 212)
THAI web TG K class USD 330 (INR 23,441
THAI web TG Q class USD 365 (INR 25,898)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK thanks. I am not familiar with US credit cards and the massive variety of benefits (at least compared to NZ).

I am intrigued that you had hoped to burn some points on a Chase card, via an associated OTA portal, which results in a revenue fare being issued on TG ticket stock (217)? If so, it seems that the 'problem' is somehow at the US end - probably with the customised version of Expedia you mention. have you looked to see what Expedia (normal US site) is quoting for your journey?

If buying on TG's portal, then note it may be worth checking if the earn difference between K and Q is worth the additional USD 37 for whatever program you will accrue to.
it’s definitely the US point of sale. It’s not just the specific portal my card issued uses, it’s pretty much any US-based TA (online, anyway) that are showing the much higher fare. So I’ll probably just pay cash with TGs site.

One thing they do do pretty well here in the US is card benefits - lots of issuers so lots of competition in the market.

Will be accruing to UA. Have thought about a Q over a K, which gives 75% PQM vs 50%. I’ll probably stick to the K. It’s early, I know, since this will be in Jan, and I still don’t have everything mapped out for the year ahead, but I don’t think that difference is going to get me over a status hump next year - I’ll either hit it without, or won’t anyway and so it won’t make a difference.

Follow-up. It is certainly a US vs Indian point of sale matter,as well as fare class.

Dummy bookings on different Expedia portals shows:

expedia.com TG Q class USD 717 (nothing else offered)
expedia.co.in TG V class USD 320 (INR 22,653)

THAI web TG V class USD 314 (INR 22, 212)
THAI web TG K class USD 330 (INR 23,441
THAI web TG Q class USD 365 (INR 25,898)
Thanks. This is basically what I’ve been seeing, thought the $639 (I think it is) showed up today, but until then, i think it was showing $710 or so for the Q fare on the US-based sites.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:46 pm

Is Thai bringing the old 747 to SYD-BKK?

Hello everyone. I recently booked SYD-BKK in F, travelling in April. When I was selecting my seat, the cabin diagram showed the old 10 seat configuration in F. I was under the impression that the old F no longer makes appearance on SYD-BKK. I then checked the TG website under "My Personal Thai Experience" section, where all flights on SYD-BKK post 30 March 2019 show as the old F and all flights before that date show as the 9 seat F. I am wondering is this a sign of things to come or is it simply a default setting on their website. I know that TG are notorious for their last minute equipment swaps, but at least in my recent experience flying out of BNE and SYD the hard product has been exactly as announced months in advance.

I also read about the flight schedule adjustment effective from 28 October reducing services to/from Australia. At the time of this announcement there was mention of aircraft maintenance taking place during Thai Airways’ 'northern winter period, running from October 28 2018 to March 28 2019. Again I wonder if this has anything to do bringing the old F to Sydney after 30 March.

Thanks for your input.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you gain the impression that 10F was not used on BKK-SYD?

Short answer is 9F or 10F 744 seat configurations are used interchangeably on all routes AFAIK - so SYD (or anywhere else) has never had a guaranteed or even regularly scheduled 9F configuration aircraft.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Where did you gain the impression that 10F was not used on BKK-SYD?

Short answer is 9F or 10F 744 seat configurations are used interchangeably on all routes AFAIK - so SYD (or anywhere else) has never had a guaranteed or even regularly scheduled 9F configuration aircraft.
Add to that - a lot can happen between now and April and even up until the day of the flight. Best not to worry about it and ensure you have a window seat rather than an E/F one - personally I do not find the old F terrible in any way. Actually, I find the seat is more comfortable in certain positions than the new one
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:23 am

I had a look through TG476 flight history. I counted 10F being used 9 times in the last 6 months (4 in Jul; 2 in Aug; 3 in Oct). Not much of a pattern and about 1 in 20 chance.
Having not experienced the old F, it is good to know people find it a reasonable product.
Thanks for the prompt replies.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shono
I had a look through TG476 flight history. I counted 10F being used 9 times in the last 6 months (4 in Jul; 2 in Aug; 3 in Oct). Not much of a pattern and about 1 in 20 chance.
Having not experienced the old F, it is good to know people find it a reasonable product.
Thanks for the prompt replies.
Just noticed that your initial question was indeed your first post - so welcome to FT, and to the Thai forum! Hope you will stick around
I hope you will enjoy your flight in April regardless of whether it turns out old or new F.
Thai-Kiwi and Shono like this.

Last edited by SKT-DK; Nov 29, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I actually prefer the "old" 10F configuration on a day flight as it makes the cabin look more spacious and you can talk with each other in opposite to the 9F suites Version, where you can feel a bit caged sometimes.
I also prefer the suites on the A380 (which I enjoyed just last night) to those on the 747 (slightly more spacious and better functionality of the seat).
But those are all small differences on a high level as service and food is exactly the same with Dom, French wines, Caviar, Rimowa kit, Pyjamas etc.etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.