Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEL-BKK-LHR (Business) LOTS of Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:16 pm
Set
Original Poster

MEL-BKK-LHR (Business) LOTS of Questions!!

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for a while and know the level of knowledge here is unmatched, so I'm hopeful you will be patient

I'm sorry for not knowing the airport and class codes properly, so I will keep things simple.

Story:

Travelling with a few people from Melbourne to London on Thai Business Class. (Way back is still unconfirmed, so I will leave my questions to the way there for now.)

The flights are:

Melbourne (MEL) to Bangkok (BKK) - Seatguru: Boeing 777-300ER (77W)

Thai Airways #462 Dep: 11:30PM Arr: 6:00AM Boeing 777
Layover in BKK 6h 50m

Bangkok (BKK) to London (LHR) - Seatguru: Airbus A340-600 (346)

Thai Airways #916 Dep: 12:50PM Arr: 6:55PM Airbus A340

Questions and Advice sought:

1- Seats

(Based on the assumption that Seatguru is correct and up to date)

For the first flight it appears that the seats are the better version, fully flat, (could someone please confirm? Seatguru says so, but I might be missing something!) but for the second (and longer!) flight the seats seem to be the old Angle seats. As you can imagine we're really not happy about that.

My main question is, since this is happening in just over 6 months or so, do you think they planes might be updated by then? Or the seats at least?

Here is a review on Seatguru for the business class seats. (BKK to Zurich but same plane and seats as what we're having:

On the Bangkok Zurich route in business class. The plane was very old and the business class quite weathered. Seats were creaky and clearly worn, TV system leaved much to be desired. The new Thai business class found on their B777 and A380 is definitely worth it, but the A340 business is worth little more than economy.
Sounds pretty bad....

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

1b-

On the Bangkok-London leg, are the screens smaller? Any other differences we should know about?

1c-
Any recommendations on where to sit on either flight? If sitting in the two-er middle section, can you see/talk to you partner?

Would you recommend not sitting in the rear Business Class cabin as it's close to Economy and possibly noisy, plus babies crying?

We will be 4 or 6 people in total and would like to sit more or less together.

2- Lounges

Melbourne:
Is there a Thai Business Class lounge in Melbourne (or Partner)? Should we use it? Will it be open at that hour? (23:30 flight) What can we expect there? Etc. Please advise.

Bangkok:
  • How many lounges are there?
  • Which would you recommend? -- We would like to have showers.
  • Do you know which gate we will arrive at and which gate we will be leaving from, and how important is that in relation to our lounge choice? We will be there for over 6 hours.
  • How do showers work? Meaning, do you need to register to use them? Is there a long wait at that time? Any amenities offered inside showers, or should we bring along?
  • I've seen some people here and online generally, mentioning that the flight we're on often arrives early and the lounge in Bangkok might not yet be open, can anyone confirm or deny?
  • What other benefits are there in the Lounges? EG: Free WiFi etc.

3- Amenities

Not a big deal but might as well ask, what type of Amenity kit do they offer on each flight? Anything to ask for?

4- Check-in Luggage

Based on the Thai website is seems you can take a total of 40kg per person. Only 10 more than economy? Seems a bit cheap compared to other airlines...

5- Carry on Luggage

Again, based on the website, unless I've misread it, you can only take one hang luggage per person. That sounds really strange to me. Every other Business Class I've been on allows you to carry two pieces. (I'm not referring to a hand-bag or camera...)

Please offer any more advice and help you might think we need. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by Set; Nov 3, 2014 at 2:59 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: BRK-B
1a) MEL-BKK has fully flat seats.
1b) Yes, unfortunately.
1c) On both flights, DO NOT sit on row 17.
2) MEL: You can use either SilverKris Lounge or NZ Koru Club
BKK: You can use BOTH Royal Silk and Royal Orchid Spa (Lounge C and E has showers).
3) Borghese or Porche Design
4) This is better than before, and some airlines they don't do 40 for business (e.g. Eva Air).
5) They don't care about this.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
1) SeatGuru cannot be trusted anymore...
3) Much better than what you would NOT get on SQ... Meaning, that SQ does not give basically anything to business class passengers - well they give you socks and eye shades...

For the rest, I second noppasit... Except he/she did not point out that you messed 4 and 5 headings... And he also missed that MEL-BKK is going back to 772/773

Last edited by vbroucek; Nov 3, 2014 at 1:14 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:01 am
Set
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbroucek
1) SeatGuru cannot be trusted anymore...
3) Much better than what you would NOT get on SQ... Meaning, that SQ does not give basically anything to business class passengers - well they give you socks and eye shades...

For the rest, I second noppasit... Except he/she did not point out that you messed 4 and 5 headings... And he also missed that MEL-BKK is going back to 772/773

1-
So who can be trusted?

3-
Thanks, but doesn't really answer me

I fixed the mixup, thanks.

Going back to 773/2, from what? I'm confused.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
melbourne is not 777-300ER. You will have angled lie-flats all the way, forget the lie flat staggered arrangement on 777-300ER. You will be on a B777-200 or B777-200ER most likely. Similar seats as the A340-600. I think LHR is on the B747-400 anyway and not the A340, anyway it's angled lie flats too.

the amenity kit will have socks, eyeshades, toothbrush, lip balm, mouth wash, ear plugs and a hair brush I think. thats about it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:54 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Set
1-
So who can be trusted?
Do a dummy booking on Thai web site. The seat map might be accurate (just do not be overexcited - web site points to Amadeus, while check-in is still done in Royal and Amadeus and Royal are not always in sync). But TG web site's booking engine is the best source for almost always accurate information...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
melbourne is not 777-300ER. You will have angled lie-flats all the way, forget the lie flat staggered arrangement on 777-300ER. You will be on a B777-200 or B777-200ER most likely. Similar seats as the A340-600. I think LHR is on the B747-400 anyway and not the A340, anyway it's angled lie flats too.

the amenity kit will have socks, eyeshades, toothbrush, lip balm, mouth wash, ear plugs and a hair brush I think. thats about it.
This might not be correct. It depends when the OP's flight is. Thai is scheduled to put the 300ER back on for the winter schedule at this stage.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:11 pm

OP you will find a lot of information from having a look at some trip reports and other threads in the Thai forum. Don't worry the A346 business seats are definitely better than economy, just not so great for sleeping, but plenty of space.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:39 pm

Is Thai significantly cheaper than other airlines? There are better choices for seats, SQ is one example. These old style business seats on the Thai 340 are just torture, the seats on the 777-200s are not much better.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:16 am
Set
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
melbourne is not 777-300ER. You will have angled lie-flats all the way, forget the lie flat staggered arrangement on 777-300ER. You will be on a B777-200 or B777-200ER most likely.
Why would you say that? It is for half a year or so.

I really don't get why the longer flight (BKK-LHR) doesn't have proper beds...

Originally Posted by travelislife
OP you will find a lot of information from having a look at some trip reports and other threads in the Thai forum.
I am doing so. And learning a fair bit. But (obviously) a lot is outdated.

Don't worry the A346 business seats are definitely better than economy, just not so great for sleeping, but plenty of space.
True, I did think of that, but 13 hours is a long time...

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Is Thai significantly cheaper than other airlines? There are better choices for seats, SQ is one example.
That's kinda what I'm wondering. I'm pretty sure Thai is a fair bit cheaper than SQ.

SQ Business Class seats are out of this world.

But even Cathay's are a lot better than Thai's.

Anyone here have experience or knowledge of the Cathay seats from MEL to LHR? I know the first leg (MEL-HK) has great seats on a 747.

I'm stressing about that...

These old style business seats on the Thai 340 are just torture
Can you tell me exactly what makes them so bad, other than not being completely flat and possibly slipping off!!?

Last edited by Set; Nov 4, 2014 at 4:09 am
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:55 am
Set
Original Poster

Your choice- Business: MEL-LHR - Cathay or Thai?

IF you could choose. For the sake of the discussion:
  • It's up to you.
  • Price exactly the same.

(This is not entirely theoretical for me, hence the question)

Please also include the side perks, such as lounges, etc.

I am aware that (in the time I'm traveling), Thai would have flat beds for the MEL-BKK leg only (and only one of the two flights per day)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Set
Why would you say that? It is for half a year or so.

I really don't get why the longer flight (BKK-LHR) doesn't have proper beds...

Don't try to understand it. But it is because they fly their 747's there which don't have flat beds. Their only aircraft with flat beds in business are the A380, 777-300ER and 787

I am doing so. And learning a fair bit. But (obviously) a lot is outdated.

Not really, there are lots of very current trip reports on Thai business class.

True, I did think of that, but 13 hours is a long time...

That's kinda what I'm wondering. I'm pretty sure Thai is a fair bit cheaper than SQ.

SQ Business Class seats are out of this world.

Not necessarily true from Melbourne. The majority of the flights are on regional aircraft with angled seats not much different to Thai's. But the long sector to Europe is pretty much guaranteed a flat bed.

But even Cathay's are a lot better than Thai's.

Anyone here have experience or knowledge of the Cathay seats from MEL to LHR? I know the first leg (MEL-HK) has great seats on a 747.

Not quite correct. Cathay doesn't fly any 747's any more. But they do have full flat beds in all their business class flights to/from Australia and Europe.

These old style business seats on the Thai 340 are just torture, the seats on the 777-200s are not much better.

Personally I think use of the work 'torture' is a bit of overkill. Yes they are not the most comfortable seats going around but they are still okay if you can keep it to day flights.

I'm stressing about that...

Can you tell me exactly what makes them so bad, other than not being completely flat and possibly slipping off!!?
Well they struggle to even go flat even at the angle
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:19 am

Cathay, 100%.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:15 am
Set
Original Poster

Cathay, 100%.
Would you be able to explain why? (other than fully flat the whole way)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:29 am
Set
Original Poster

Not really, there are lots of very current trip reports on Thai business class.
Thanks for replying. I can't quote our reply, so I pasted this bit.

I checked here and it would seem that as far as my flights are concerned you are incorrect.

I couldn't find any Trip Reports on Thai Business class on either the 777-300ER nor the A340-600.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.