Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Royal Silk Lounge in Bangkok Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Royal Silk Lounge in Bangkok Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:54 am

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I prefer the open bar area in 'D' at the bottom of the escalator.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
More about some of the male passengers and their younger companions.
Oh please.... they are not star gold lounges, myself and lots of people use them flying J... and I think your sister is being rather precious.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
... and I think your sister is being rather precious.
I feel uncomfortable when I see it, plenty of people do. It is often quite embarrassing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:42 pm

I feel uncomfortable when I see it, plenty of people do. It is often quite embarrassing.
You feel uncomfortable when you see an older male with a young thai woman? Why not just mind your own business and ignore it.

P.s lots of older men with young thai girlfriends fly business class too. Perhaps you and your sister ahould avoid bkk and Thailand altogether.

Fwiw I am not an old man or a young thai woman
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
You feel uncomfortable when you see an older male with a young thai woman? Why not just mind your own business and ignore it.

P.s lots of older men with young thai girlfriends fly business class too. Perhaps you and your sister ahould avoid bkk and Thailand altogether.

Fwiw I am not an old man or a young thai woman
unfortunately a small minority (with both male or female partners) act in such a way that it is impossible to ignore.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by timster
Yes, amongst the 4 international Royal Silk lounges at BKK, the big concourse D lounge (double capacity vs the others) is the only one that does not list access for *G:
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/en/exp...#div1-section2
Now I'm confused. I believe I have been in the large D lounge, having a glass of wine, flying economy, using my Star Alliance Gold card. Perhaps others can comment on this. Is TG turning away *A Gold economy fliers now?

Edited to add: I've always been surprised that the other Royal Silk Lounges offer beer and hard liquor, but not wine. Wine is always offered on the plane in Y internationally.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Jul 15, 2014 at 9:24 pm Reason: added comment re wine.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:15 pm

unfortunately a small minority (with both male or female partners) act in such a way that it is impossible to ignore.
So move to another part of the lounge if you find it so incredibly awkward that you just cant ignore it!

Its the most absurd reason ive ever come across to avoid a lounge yet. Considering they could just as easily be in D concourse.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Now I'm confused. I believe I have been in the large D lounge, having a glass of wine, flying economy, using my Star Alliance Gold card. Perhaps others can comment on this. Is TG turning away *A Gold economy fliers now?

Edited to add: I've always been surprised that the other Royal Silk Lounges offer beer and hard liquor, but not wine. Wine is always offered on the plane in Y internationally.
yes D lounge for J passengers only (and not for *A G in Y) is not strictly enforced; depends on staff
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:52 am

so would you mind to elaborate what is acceptable for you and your sister and what not
- age differences
- gender and ethnicity combination
- clothes
- behaviour
- attitude

underdressed old western guys with their Thai bar girl, western gay men with their 40 years younger Thai queens, fat Russians with their blond hookers, gray female TIP's with their toy boys?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
so would you mind to elaborate what is acceptable for you and your sister and what not
- age differences
- gender and ethnicity combination
- clothes
- behaviour
- attitude

underdressed old western guys with their Thai bar girl, western gay men with their 40 years younger Thai queens, fat Russians with their blond hookers, gray female TIP's with their toy boys?
(my bolding)

pretty much the bolded bit of your post.

In general most of the criteria you list would not be an issue, but there is a minority where the behaviour and attitude makes it uncomfortable.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
So does anyone know the difference between the Royal Silk Lounge and the Royal Orchid Lounge in concourse E? Is it just that the Orchid lounge has a First Class section or is it something else? And does the First Class section in the Orchid lounge offer the same drinks and food as the First Class lounge?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by SASDC8
So does anyone know the difference between the Royal Silk Lounge and the Royal Orchid Lounge in concourse E? Is it just that the Orchid lounge has a First Class section or is it something else? And does the First Class section in the Orchid lounge offer the same drinks and food as the First Class lounge?
you are correct, that is the difference!
Royal Silk is the brand for business class; that's why they call the lounge in E (west side), which has also a very small F section Royal Orchid Lounge
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
(my bolding)

pretty much the bolded bit of your post.

In general most of the criteria you list would not be an issue, but there is a minority where the behaviour and attitude makes it uncomfortable.
Civil behaviour should be a minimum requirement in the lounge. Having said that, I think the one group you didn't bold might be the one most likely to be reincarnated as a dung beetle in their next Buddhist life.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
you are correct, that is the difference!
Royal Silk is the brand for business class; that's why they call the lounge in E (west side), which has also a very small F section Royal Orchid Lounge
Thanks! I thought that might be the case.

Do you know what kind of food/drink they offer there? In my 10 flights in TG F I have never been taken to that lounge, only to the main one in D. Was it this lounge that was meant to be a transfer lounge for other star partners travelling in F?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by SASDC8
Thanks! I thought that might be the case.

Do you know what kind of food/drink they offer there? In my 10 flights in TG F I have never been taken to that lounge, only to the main one in D. Was it this lounge that was meant to be a transfer lounge for other star partners travelling in F?
F lounge in E? drink wise pretty much the same as in main F lounge; food I am not sure as I never asked for the menu
I really only use them when my departure gate is in E, F or G; TG flights with F class hardly leave from those gates but as a Platinum member you can use anyway F lounge for all TG flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.