Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying in and out of BKK during mass protests from 13. Jan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

There are a lot of rumours around, what will happen during the anti-government protests starting from Monday 13. Jan
the anti-government movement promised not to occupy the airport but they want to "occupy Bangkok" and block major roads and intersections.
TG recommends on their website to leave for the airport 4 hours before the flight and they insist that TG will operate as normal
but what happens if crews, ground staff and a lot of passengers can't get to the airport on time or not at all...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
There should be delays, and I'm sure people missing their flights. If I were flying, I would try NOT missing my flight. As much as AOT and the airlines want to run as usual, I would expect that there will be an effect, although it's hard to predict exactly how/what, etc.

There are several other airports in Thailand that handle international flights. Phuket airport's international flights just keep growing. So much so, that they now run flights all night. You may consider changing your flights to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Krabi, or changing the dates.

Small point of clarification... The movement, literally translated is "close Bangkok", there is no "occupy", that is a completely different movement from the US, and is misleading.

Nobody knows what will happen. But I expect it to be short and bloody.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

Small point of clarification... The movement, literally translated is "close Bangkok", there is no "occupy", that is a completely different movement from the US, and is misleading.

Not sure I agree with "bloody", at least not in a major way as in civil war type of "bloody". Of course some people will get killed. Unavoidable when you mix large crowds, high emotions, knives and guns as well as terrorist instigators randomnly shooting people (apparently imported assassins from Cambodia who have no allegiance other than their paymaster, and such paymaster being quite alright killing his own supporters to blame it on the opposition).

I would stay away from the crowds. But getting around bangkok won't be impossible. You may wish to just skip bangkok and fly straight to Phuket, Samui or Chiang Mai, though. One thing that'll be difficult is getting to any of the Sukhumvit and Rajaprasong hotels. So maybe pick one out of the way, for instance: Marriott Sukhumvit 57 instead of Renaissance Chidlom etc.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

Bloody? As in like 10x safer than any major American city on the same day.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Bloody? As in like 10x safer than any major American city on the same day.
Having just been in Los Angeles, I must concur
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:57 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G
The thread is not about language, but interesting to hear that many locals have adopted the English loan word 'shutdown' about next week.

On topic - Nobody knows, right? I'd have A LOT of buffer time if I have to go by taxi.

Getting to/from BKK - Use Airport Link or if not convenient, take BTS to outer Sukhumvit (Udom Suk etc) and grab a taxi from there. Driver should go over Bang Na and will approach BKK from the back side.

To/from DMK - Take BTS to Mo Chit and use the new shuttle bus (30 THB).
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Another option is to move the night before and sleep at BKK nearby hotels. The TG 4 hours advice might be optimistic.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Another option is to move the night before and sleep at BKK nearby hotels. The TG 4 hours advice might be optimistic.
sure, you move near the airport at the evening before, check in at a new hotel, wake up early morning and make the short trip to the airport...and after checking in, going through immigration and waiting in the lounge or at the gate your are told that the flight is cancelled as the crew could not get to the airport!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
sure, you move near the airport at the evening before, check in at a new hotel, wake up early morning and make the short trip to the airport...and after checking in, going through immigration and waiting in the lounge or at the gate your are told that the flight is cancelled as the crew could not get to the airport!
I shall try this tonight and see how it goes.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:44 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Very sensible advice. I like the idea. ^

At least until we see how things play out. ^
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm booked for a night flight out of BKK in F ... guess I'll be visiting the F lounge a lot earlier than planned
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:49 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by amolkold
I'm booked for a night flight out of BKK in F ... guess I'll be visiting the F lounge a lot earlier than planned
^ There is always a positive side!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:04 am

Just throw in their hookers into the mix. A lot of the crowd will be happier.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I shall try this tonight and see how it goes.
it does not start before Monday 13.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hco

To/from DMK - Take BTS to Mo Chit and use the new shuttle bus (30 THB).
My understanding is the A1/A2 buses only take pax from DMK they will not pick up pax going to DMK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.