FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG679 Runway incident at BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1501248-tg679-runway-incident-bkk.html)

Orion Sep 10, 2013 7:26 am

my thai

Timing is everything. I do hope they got all the pax and crew out before acting to protect the brand.

Aussie_flyer Sep 10, 2013 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 21419245)
Timing is everything. I do hope they got all the pax and crew out before acting to protect the brand.

Do you seriously think they could be repainting it before the evacuation was done? GiVe me a break! What a ridiculous comment

somkiat Sep 10, 2013 1:07 pm

May I ask if the esteemed community now tends to switch all award activities elsewhere due to Thai Airways doing a badly planned paintjob ? Further ,could it be said that having used a sandblaster instead to remove the Thai loge would be a badly planned blowjob ??

Questions arise , I am clueless .

RICK69 Sep 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Thai Airways hits back at blacked-out logo claims

By Phil Davies | 10 September 2013 at 11.33 GMT

Thai Airways hits back at blacked-out logo claims

Thai Airways has denied media claims that it was following the policy of the Star Alliance to black out its logo on an aircraft which skidded off the runway at Bangkok airport.

Various reports suggested that the blurring of the logo was a recommendation from the global alliance intended to protect the image of the airline and other members of the group.

But Thai Airways said in a statement: “Thai generally practises the de-identifying of an aircraft after an incident (or accident). The company also clarifies that it is not a Star Alliance policy or procedure to de-identify aircraft.”

More than 10 people were injured when the Airbus A330, on a flight from Guangzhou in China, came off the runway late on Sunday night.

There were 288 passengers and 14 crew on the aircraft.

An investigation into the accident has been launched.

RICK69 Sep 10, 2013 8:00 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...ident-response

Paella747 Sep 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 21419031)
really?

I was responding to the person who was implying that it needed to be called a 'crash', as opposed to a runway slip/incident/mishap/overshoot/etc. @:-)

joy16 Sep 11, 2013 1:28 am

Short video clip after an accident.

http://www.hflight.net/forums/topic/...#3636;ต/

http://youtu.be/LPI0tlc7hYQ

timmynl Sep 11, 2013 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Thaikwai (Post 21418714)
Interesting discussion about the "normal" procedure of "de-identifying" an aircraft after a major incident. I have to admit I was not aware of this when I made the comment. However, I stand by my assertion that the Thai management shot themselves in the foot. The Alitalia paint job was the right one...paint the whole aircraft.

One does not have to be an "aviation nut" to immediately register that this is a Thai aircraft......just look at the other aircraft in the photo, and the tens of other Thai aircraft on the apron....of course its a Thai aircraft!! Typical of Thai to get it so badly wrong that it has resulted in even worse negative publicity than if they had left it the way it was!!

Some pics of 'covering up' attempts by other airlines.
http://pantip.com/topic/30956470

BTW I like your nickname. Does it mean what I think it means in Thai language?

Travel safely.

Timmy

Always Flyin Sep 11, 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by somkiat (Post 21414914)
Which is probably due to major airlines preferring major events like f.e. Air France A330 disappearing into the South Atlantic .

You mean like the QF 744 overrun at BKK? Don't recall that aircraft being painted to hide the Qantas logo.

How about the BA 777 at LHR that lost engine power and crashed in arrival? Don't recall BA hiding their logo on that one.

US 1549 landing in the Hudson. No masking of logos there either.

UA DC-10 at Sioux City? No masking.

Perhaps this just predominately an Asian effort at saving face?

Originally Posted by Paella747 (Post 21417832)
What did it crash into?

The runway.

5khours Sep 11, 2013 8:11 am

Flew into BKK Monday night. Flight delayed by about an hour.

Flew out on Tuesday morning on a 320 on 19L. We entered the runway just south of the disabled aircraft and took off from there. Back in BKK now, couldn't tell if they have it cleaned up yet.

Paella747 Sep 11, 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 21424913)
The runway.

Yeeeeaahhhh.... I guess our definitions of "crash" are different. :rolleyes:

bpe Sep 11, 2013 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 21424913)
Perhaps this just predominately an Asian effort at saving face?

Probably, since I've never heard of it happening in the US, and rarely elsewhere outside of Asia.

Also, airports and airlines are usually pretty good about cleaning up quickly after incidents, especially if there is only minor damage to the plane (just drag it back onto the runway and into a hangar). Painting it would seem to imply that they are planning on leaving it at the site for a while.

5khours Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by bpe (Post 21425928)
Probably, since I've never heard of it happening in the US, and rarely elsewhere outside of Asia.

Also, airports and airlines are usually pretty good about cleaning up quickly after incidents, especially if there is only minor damage to the plane (just drag it back onto the runway and into a hangar). Painting it would seem to imply that they are planning on leaving it at the site for a while.

I had heard they were supposed to have it removed by today. When I saw it on Tuesday, it looked they were jacking up the right side where the gear collapsed.

Always Flyin Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Paella747 (Post 21425868)
Yeeeeaahhhh.... I guess our definitions of "crash" are different. :rolleyes:

Well, since most aircraft "crashes" involve an aircraft hitting the ground outside the normal parameters of the flight envelope and not colliding with another aircraft in-flight, perhaps you might want to reconsider your definition of an airline "crash" and realize it is different from an automobile crash. Perhaps you were just blinded to an obvious issue because you were busy rolling your eyes . . .

Paella747 Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 21426384)
Well, since most aircraft "crashes" involve an aircraft hitting the ground outside the normal parameters of the flight envelope and not colliding with another aircraft in-flight, perhaps you might want to reconsider your definition of an airline "crash" and realize it is different from an automobile crash. Perhaps you were just blinded to an obvious issue because you were busy rolling your eyes . . .

I never said a plane must collide with another aircraft in order to be considered a crash.
I'm well aware that an aircraft can crash into the ground (or a building, or construction equipment, etc...).

If a landing gear failure is a crash to you, then so be it.
If you feel this A330 crashed into the ground, fantastic!
If every time an aircraft slides off the runway is a crash to you, great!

I (and perhaps the person who changed the title of this thread from "crash landing" to "incident" ) didn't feel as though this was.

Oh, and :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ;).