Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai to Bangkok Airways - transfer at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:58 pm

Thanks, I'll probably also try to check with United.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Doesn't UA decline to check bags through to a second ticket?

Since BA and PG codeshare on certain Thailand-Cambodia flights you might have a better chance of dealing with this in LHR.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:59 pm

I hope that is not true about united!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wernicki
It is.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...star-alliance/
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by wernicki
Yep, I wouldn't count on UA checking your bag through.

My data points from the past months (separate tickets with the second ticket on SQ):
1. UA Y+ EWR-AMS / SQ J AMS-SIN - no
2. UA F TPA-IAH / SQ J IAH-DME-SIN - yes
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
PG have announced a new policy that will affect those in this thread:

Effective for travel on and after March 27th 2016, when a customer has two separate tickets, Bangkok Airways will no longer through-check bags to the end destinations on the secondary separate ticket, through-check bags will only be done when the secondary separate ticket is for travel on the following criteria:

• Bangkok Airways’ operating flights (PGXXX) 3 digits
• Bangkok Airways’ codeshare marketing flights (PGXXXX) 4 digits

According to such revised policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, Bangkok Airways will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). For domestic/international sectors connecting to domestic destination, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s) after go through immigration process, if any. This is also applied for both domestic origins connecting to international end destinations, as well as international origins connecting to international destinations.
So watch out.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
So watch out.
back to stone age!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So watch out.
Originally Posted by BinSabai
back to stone age!
As PG Premier and OWE I've used various connections involving PG and must say this is

Can you give a link to the announcement? i can't locate any info on their website.

Nevermind.... found it.

https://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/separate_ticket

Last edited by dsquared37; Mar 9, 2016 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

So watch out.
This is very distressing. It means if I'm flying, say, PG USM-BKK connecting to TG BKK-KIX, with checked bags, then I must go from domestic arrivals to the domestic baggage claim, wait for my bags to appear, leave baggage claim and go up 2 flights to TG check-in, line up to check in and leave bags, then go through Thai immigration. This would require adding an additional 60-90 minutes to the connection time, I would think, because previously immigration could be done at USM.

When did PG announce this new policy re interlining? If I didn't read FT, I never would have known. It would have been nice if PG would have given their FlyerBonus members adequate notice, such as an email!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
When did PG announce this new policy re interlining? If I didn't read FT, I never would have known. It would have been nice if PG would have given their FlyerBonus members adequate notice, such as an email!
The only thing they seem to give notice about is the addition of partnering airlines and hotels.

And yes, it does add significant time to what would otherwise be an easy BKK transit.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This is very distressing. It means if I'm flying, say, PG USM-BKK connecting to TG BKK-KIX, with checked bags, then I must go from domestic arrivals to the domestic baggage claim, wait for my bags to appear, leave baggage claim and go up 2 flights to TG check-in, line up to check in and leave bags, then go through Thai immigration. This would require adding an additional 60-90 minutes to the connection time, I would think, because previously immigration could be done at USM.

even worse if you are on international transit, you have to go through immigration twice in BKK. So for example coming from Europe and going to Siem Reap and back, you get 4 additional and unnecessary immigration stamps from Thailand into your passport and have to go 8 times through immigration and wait 4 times for your bags during the whole trip
absolute stupid policy!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

even worse if you are on international transit, you have to go through immigration twice in BKK. So for example coming from Europe and going to Siem Reap and back, you get 4 additional and unnecessary immigration stamps from Thailand into your passport and have to go 8 times through immigration and wait 4 times for your bags during the whole trip
absolute stupid policy!
Actually this scenario, EUR-BKK-REP, is probably not a problem as you wouldn't be checking in with PG and the the through-check policy would be that of the airline being flown EUR-BKK.

My read is the policy would come into play when checking in with PG which would affect the reverse of your scenario.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Actually this scenario, EUR-BKK-REP, is probably not a problem as you wouldn't be checking in with PG and the the through-check policy would be that of the airline being flown EUR-BKK.

My read is the policy would come into play when checking in with PG which would affect the reverse of your scenario.
at least on the way back you would have to!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at least on the way back you would have to!
Correct. And this is still a hassle.

It's also interesting that the 'announcement' would allow through check on code shared flights. It doesn't specifically say pax needs to be ticketed as a code share but I've plenty of poorly worded PG announcements before.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
A cynical person might conclude that the purpose of Bangkok Airways new policy is to "encourage" pax to book follow-on flights as PG codeshare flights. In other words, if I want to fly USM-BKK-Japan, then BKK-Japan better be on the codeshare route operated by Japan Airlines, rather than TG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.