Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a 4 hr layover in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Suggestions for a 4 hr layover in BKK

While staying put in a *G lounge is one option, I was wondering if there are other possibilities for a 4 hour layover. I've been to BKK often enough to know that going into town is not feasible, and besides, traffic can be quite bad in the evening (which is when my layover is). Are there worthwhile places (amazing restaurants, spa's, sights, etc.) to go to near the airport & get back in past security in time?

Or if I'm stuck with staying in a lounge, which would be the best lounge for a *G passenger - TG or SQ? Are there any others?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by j8s8er
While staying put in a *G lounge is one option, I was wondering if there are other possibilities for a 4 hour layover. I've been to BKK often enough to know that going into town is not feasible, and besides, traffic can be quite bad in the evening (which is when my layover is). Are there worthwhile places (amazing restaurants, spa's, sights, etc.) to go to near the airport & get back in past security in time?
There is the train these days so no need to sit in traffic. BKK to city in about 15 minutes! Not that I would do it on a 4 hours stop...but it's not likely to take any longer than going somewhere closer to the airport.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Four hours?

Forget it - it would be a disaster if something went wrong. Keep in mind the epic walk to get to customs/immigration takes 15mins, let alone clearing customs/immigration (and having to do it all again on the return)! Just relax in the lounge and the time will fly.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
And keep in mind too that if it is all on a single ticket then it is unlikely that departure tax would have been paid exBKK. This would need to be collected before you could go back airside (how much is it - about THB700??)

4 hour layover - 30 minutes to get off the plane and out, then 90 mins to be back at the airport to pay tax and clear immigration and be ready to board... leaves about 2 hours... there is nothing close to the airport as far as I'm aware... and the city would be ruled out in that time.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll stick to adventures within the airport & lounges after all...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:49 am
Koc

A good suggestion: Don't try the massage.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by Koc
A good suggestion: Don't try the massage.
Why?

I'm curious as I too have a 4 hour layover in BKK, travelling in F and a massage would be welcome so just want to know what you don't like about it?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:23 pm
Koc

Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Why?

I'm curious as I too have a 4 hour layover in BKK, travelling in F and a massage would be welcome so just want to know what you don't like about it?
I am thinking of the "public" one in the main departure area, close to the King Power lounge. It is overpriced and my experience wasn't good at all...
If you travell in F you shouldn't worry as you have the Royal Orchid Spa
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by Koc
I am thinking of the "public" one in the main departure area, close to the King Power lounge. It is overpriced and my experience wasn't good at all...
If you travell in F you shouldn't worry as you have the Royal Orchid Spa
Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.