Search

Name Change on Thai Airways

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Exclamation Name Change on Thai Airways

Hi,

My brother is travelling on thai airways, sometime later this year, he got his ticket issued on makemytrip, by mistake he got the ticket issued without the middle name, i.e. Rohit Kothari instead of Rohit Kumar Kothari.

MMT has already issued the ticket and he called up thai, who said they would be able to issue boarding pass however immigration may not allow him to pass through. They are suggesting him to cancel the ticket and get a new one with the correct name. Cancellation charges being 2k, which is not really an issue, however for sake of better understanding of the reservation process I wanted to ask the following questions -

Would immigration authorities look into the middle name and disallow him to board?

Also should thai not be able to change middle name? All other details are the same as per his passport.

I remember I had once made the same mistake on an air asia flight, the original ticket was issued without name change restrictions however a mail to them of my passport copy had been enough to correct the same.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
You don't need the middle name - mine is almost never on my tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Middle name is optional, there should be no difference.

Some airlines don't even have a middle name field...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Tell him to take a chill pill and travel normally. If there are additional names on his passport that the authorities are interested in, he can add them when filling the APIS form during checkin.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Middle names not needed, don't make a big scene for something that is so trivial. I have 3 names and only use my first and last, chill pill is right!!!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ashwini
Cancellation charges being 2k
This is the reason that Thai can't change his name btw. (nor can other airline that I know of)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:49 am

I traveled from SIN-BKK 2 weeks back with my first/last names switched and middle name left out w/o a problem. There are countries where people have multiple middle names (5 or more in some cases) - you can see why this is a non-issue.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by erik123
I traveled from SIN-BKK 2 weeks back with my first/last names switched and middle name left out w/o a problem. There are countries where people have multiple middle names (5 or more in some cases) - you can see why this is a non-issue.
And countries where people only use one (Indonesia for one).

For intra-Asia travel I use only first and last. If my middle name shows up on a ticket you can bet I'm headed to the good ol 'home of the brave'...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: TK G
I always skip my middle name on purpose when issuing a ticket -my surname is very long, 20 lettters...- and my TG account is also without my middle name, never been an issue with immigrations, even the passport shows my middle name as well.

But in case your brother is collecting miles, and name on ticket and name of FF account are not identical there might be the possibility not getting the miles credited automatically (I had big issues in the past with LH, whenever my travel agent -by mistake- issued my ticket with the short version of my name, but LH FF account show the long version, I had to sent in my boarding passes after flights, which was very annoying...).
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: VN SkyTeam Platinum/Elite Plus; TK M&S *G; CX OW
As others have said, as long as the first name and last name are correct he can relax. I usually take care to make sure that the ticketed name is exactly the same as my passport name (especially when flying to/from the US), but forgot to do this when I flew BKK-LAX-BKK last month. As a result my middle name was missing. There was no problem at all (other than the immigration guy in LAX giving me the benefit of his opinion at some length of why the US lost its AAA S&P rating, but that's another story...)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Thank you!! Would let him know.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:15 am

My son travelled 2 weeks ago on Thai from SYD - BKK - ZRH - BKK -SYD with his middle name on his ticket but, as I found out after I had booked, he no longer uses his middle name and it was not on his passport. Airline said there would be no problem and there wasn't. No one asked at any time.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Conclusion : Thai Air no prommpremm wid middelname
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by somkiat
Conclusion : Thai Air no prommpremm wid middelname
Your humor is getting old.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your humor is getting old.
Not only my humour I`m afraid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.