Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by joejones
40 minute wait. Seriously, to LEAVE the country?

The good news is that nobody ever charged me the departure tax...
It generally happens if you try to get a boarding pass issued. If you have one from before, immigration doesn't ask you about it. Its more problematic with overnight connections because the TG transfer desk wont issue you your boarding pass the night before.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by railways
Passed through D4 immigration at about 3pm on Saturday (10 March) off the lunchtime TG flight from HKG.
The mass of people backed right up to the main concourse and some passengers were getting frazzled - there didn't seem to be any orderly queue system and no-one controlling the flow.

Was in F so went through the diplomatic/fast track channel, which still took about 15 minutes with 5 people ahead of me - two control points were open and a third one was opened while I was queueing.
I had a similar experience but on departure a couple of month ago at similar time. At fast track a single counter was open with 5 pax in line. A couple of other officers were chatting next to it. I made some noise to no avail. When the line reached over ten pax, they stopped chatting and opened another counter. Took me some 15 min to clear custom.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
It is a shambles no doubt about that and passenger numbers were predicted to reach these levels so it is no excuse.

They need to combine 2-3 lines in to one and feed them in to 7-10 desks. The problem at the moment is of one agent finishes their shift and leaves a whole line of people to merge in to another. The other problem with the current system is that if an agent gets stuck with a difficult pax for 10mins or so it holds the whole system up, rather than pax flowing past this person to other desks if there was a main feed line.

I know they tried the above on outbound immigration for a while but not sure if this is still the case.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:23 pm
SKL

The Bangkok Post article indeed showed lousy excuse on the part of immigration office. The increase in passenger volume has been incremental over the past several years. Anyone who is awake can see this coming. It is like they just woke up to the fact that the volume of passenger increased from 80K per day to almost doubled, therefore they are caught short-handed.

This type of excuse merely shows their incompetence.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
BKK to deploy 70 female riot police officers to assist on the desks tomorrow and later recruit more immigration officers to help meet demand.

Looks like another trip to BKK is in order.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
From that article:
Suvarnabhumi airport director Somchai Sawasdipol said fast-track immigration booths for first-class and business-class passengers would be removed so staff there could help handle regular passengers during peak hours.
If he's serious, the guy needs to be fired immediately! What a complete idiot. I'm pretty much avoiding BKK this year, but for other reasons. Certainly glad I don't have to see this gross mismanagement in action.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Interesting point from that article -
"We are very tired...many immigration officers want to leave the organisation because they cannot rest and are in very risky situations. If they rush and let through fake passports or wanted criminals they can be jailed,"...

I can understand a severe dressing down if they let Hannibal Lecter through, perhaps even firing them - but jail ? This may explain why they take so long....

D.

Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by A_Lee
From that article:

If he's serious, the guy needs to be fired immediately! What a complete idiot. I'm pretty much avoiding BKK this year, but for other reasons. Certainly glad I don't have to see this gross mismanagement in action.
Don't worry , he is just another pathetically moronic and incompetent Thai civil servant uttering the first stupidity that flies through his deeply impaired brains, knowing he will get away with it, as he always has before . He may even get promoted for uttering such nonsense, because he has shown his Thainess .
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Thanks for pointing to the article. Does anyone know anything more about this:
You may have seen this already, it is for Thai nationals only. With a bit of luck they will soon extend it to those those with work visas also (wishful thinking I fear)...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...or-long-queues
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by newshound
You may have seen this already, it is for Thai nationals only. With a bit of luck they will soon extend it to those those with work visas also (wishful thinking I fear)...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...or-long-queues
We'll be coming into BKK right after April 11 and my better half will have a go at the machine if it's up and running (an admitted long shot).

I'd like to see Thai nationals stop filling in the forms as the end of the article indicates. It seems useless to me.

I'm also concerned that there will not be enough of the these machines working properly and Thai nationals will be forced to use them potentially creating a backlog for Thai nationals while foreigners are favored to be dealt with by the staff.

Rather than create a color coded indicator of how soon the pax' flight is, i have a better idea: GET MORE STAFF WORKING EFFICIENTLY. How is this so difficult?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Thumbs down Still a shithole

The sad state of things at BKK just now is that unless you fly TG C or F, or any other carrier that will give you a Fast Track pass outbound or inbound : you are bound to suffer ridiculously long waiting lines at immigration, either way . Beware .
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by pansted00
The sad state of things at BKK just now is that unless you fly TG C or F, or any other carrier that will give you a Fast Track pass outbound or inbound : you are bound to suffer ridiculously long waiting lines at immigration, either way . Beware .
The consequences will be dire for TG and for the tourism industry in general. BKK can no longer be the hub from where you go to Vietnam, Hong Kong, Bali, etc. as you risk missing your flights and lose so much time queuing. Better use SIN and avoid long delays getting in and long delays getting out.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Originally Posted by ulyparis
The consequences will be dire for TG and for the tourism industry in general. BKK can no longer be the hub from where you go to Vietnam, Hong Kong, Bali, etc. as you risk missing your flights and lose so much time queuing. Better use SIN and avoid long delays getting in and long delays getting out.
Of transit or where ?

99 % of people boarding a plane to BKK and who intend to stay there have never heard of delayed immigration procedures , this is exclusive knowlegde of forum members . though useful of course .
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Swampy has often had issues like this ever since it opened. I remember meeting another Canadian couple years ago who had missed their flight for these very same reasons. So only first time travelers to BKK would likely be unaware of the potential delays.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:07 pm

**Post Deleted**

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.