Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by hgp
Hi cmdsea. Welcome to the TG forum. Responses to your questions follow below and please post again if you have more queries.
!
Firstly, thank you for the detailed reply.

However, you should be able to book a flight using the 50% deal on/before 31 Dec 2012 for departure in 2013.

That's an interesting twist that i didn't realise might be an option. Worth a phone call to my local office (SIN) to see if they would allow me to do that.

Finally, one more question. Suppose I buy an economy ticket from say LHR to BKK and then call to use the GUP. Do I get re-assessed the UK departure tax for the premium cabin and need to pay the additional APD or is it considered an op-up without any extra charge..
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:19 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by cmdsea
Firstly, thank you for the detailed reply.

However, you should be able to book a flight using the 50% deal on/before 31 Dec 2012 for departure in 2013.

That's an interesting twist that i didn't realise might be an option. Worth a phone call to my local office (SIN) to see if they would allow me to do that.

Finally, one more question. Suppose I buy an economy ticket from say LHR to BKK and then call to use the GUP. Do I get re-assessed the UK departure tax for the premium cabin and need to pay the additional APD or is it considered an op-up without any extra charge..
TG does a great job of looking after their ROP*G and *P flyers. Depending on the size of the SIN office and how often you fly, you may get to know the ROP team there and they may get to know you. Having a personal contact makes the TG service all better. Definitely give the local office a call and see what they can do for you.

I'm pretty sure you will not need to pay the premium departure tax. A GUP can only be applied to a ticketed itinerary, which means you have to have paid for the ticket before it can be GUP'ed. Now I think the GUP books into J class, a revenue fare basis, but I can't imagine you would be asked to pay a higher departure tax. Perhaps others will have a view on this?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:27 am

Am flying TG HKT-BKK-HKG in J two days from now, and will then be picking up a separate QF itinerary (HKG-MEL-BNE), also in J, from there.

Will TG be able to check my bags all the way to BNE? If so, what info will I need to provide them upon checking in, and will I need to do anything with my baggage in HKG, in terms of ensuring it makes its way to QF?

Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Am flying TG HKT-BKK-HKG in J two days from now, and will then be picking up a separate QF itinerary (HKG-MEL-BNE), also in J, from there.

Will TG be able to check my bags all the way to BNE? If so, what info will I need to provide them upon checking in, and will I need to do anything with my baggage in HKG, in terms of ensuring it makes its way to QF?
Even if they can, I'm not at all sure that I'd want to risk it. Four flights on one baggage tag including a change in carrier/alliance? You pays your money and you takes your chances.

The only time I've done anything close to this is when I'm flying CX F. One of the nice things they've done for me (when I requested) in the F Lounge is call down to baggage handling and ensure that my bags are actually on my outgoing flight, checking the bag tag numbers.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND

Thank you.
It should be possible. When you go to the transfer counter for Qantas in HKG to get your boarding pass simply show them the baggage receipt and they will add the number to your Qantas booking.

I've done 4 leg trips and never had a problem, even when changing carriers
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
It will also depend where you are clearing customs in Australia... MEL or BNE? (I hazard a guess it will be MEL)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:26 pm

ah quite right. just check them to Melbourne as you are required to pick them up for customs clearance then take them to domestic
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:16 pm

Thank you for your responses. I realized I forgot to add I have an ~ 5 hour layover in HKG, an airport I've been through or stopped at several times, though never in a situation like this.

If I only check on TG to HKG, will I have to clear customs, collect my bags, and make my way through to the QF counter outside security?

Alternatively, if I do have TG interline all the way to Oz, wouldn't I have them check through to BNE, even though (as one of you pointed out) I suspect I will clear in MEL? From my recollection, the bags would be tagged through to BNE, I would clear in MEL, grab them and head over to the Donestic Tramsfer desk (something I've done, though never before in MEL).

Again, thank you for your help -- especially as I know some of this veers outside of the TG Board's scope.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 pm

Thank you for your responses. I realized I forgot to add I have an ~ 5 hour layover in HKG, an airport I've been through or stopped at several times, though never in a situation like this.

If I only check on TG to HKG, will I have to clear customs, collect my bags, and make my way through to the QF counter outside security?

Alternatively, if I do have TG interline all the way to Oz, wouldn't I have them check through to BNE, even though (as one of you pointed out) I suspect I will clear in MEL? From my recollection, the bags would be tagged through to BNE, I would clear in MEL, grab them and head over to the Donestic Tramsfer desk (something I've done, though never before in MEL).

Again, thank you for your help -- especially as I know some of this veers outside of the TG Board's scope.
the transfer desk at mel can retag your bags.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by dazz81
the transfer desk at mel can retag your bags.
Brilliant. Thank you!

edit: worked a treat! Again, many thanks, and quite enjoyed the half-hour massage in BKK ... wasn't even expecting it, as for some reason I had it in my head only F pax were eligible!

Last edited by aa213bb; Nov 2, 2012 at 3:53 am Reason: Update
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
There seem to be a number of questions about baggage allowance, so I have moved some posts into a new, consolidated baggage allowance thread and may move a few more as I run across them.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:32 am

So i checked it and the Class FRA-BKK and return is called "VK6MDEE". My Question is a) can i collect M&M-Miles on that? If so, how many will i get? And b) is that Class upgradeable? So can i buy Business or even First? How much would that be?

Thank you for your help, my first Flight on TG..
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
So i checked it and the Class FRA-BKK and return is called "VK6MDEE". My Question is a) can i collect M&M-Miles on that? If so, how many will i get? And b) is that Class upgradeable? So can i buy Business or even First? How much would that be?

Thank you for your help, my first Flight on TG..
Both V and W fares do not accrue mileage on any *A carrier that I'm aware of.

You would need to buy up to QK6MDEP. Are you sure the last letter is 'E'?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:36 am

Award surcharge

Dear All,

I am trying to book ORD-ICN-NRT-ORD routing using my ROP miles. However, I find that OZ and NH have massive fuel surcharges.
Does TG collect fuel surcharges behalf of OZ and NH?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37

You would need to buy up to QK6MDEP. Are you sure the last letter is 'E'?
Yes, thats what the System told me...So i guess its an 'E' at the end - why are you asking? Is that going to be a Problem for upgrading?

Or, as i did not totally get it - is upgrading even possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.