Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

No Redemptions !!! is this the start of something very bad ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold

Last month I started looking for a redemption from LHR-BKK in OCT biz with return in April or May but struggled to find much and could find nothing inbound using the local Thai redemption part of the International website.

Dismissing it as just bad timing I now need to find flights for my trip.

However following the remarks of Aran Apichari on 29th July, loyalty marketing director for Thai where he admited that it was very difficult to get flights back from Europe I now wonder if there is a change in policy on redemptions.

He did go onto to say that Asia and Australia were ok but given the lowest load factors for years from Europe why all of a sudden these inbound flights are not available?

If you cannot get redemptions then the FFP is worthless and as Thai as long been noted with ROP, BD and all other *A for its ease of redemptions it makes me wonder what the hell is going on when load factor is so low.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues ?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by bkkman
Last month I started looking for a redemption from LHR-BKK in OCT biz with return in April or May but struggled to find much and could find nothing inbound using the local Thai redemption part of the International website.

Dismissing it as just bad timing I now need to find flights for my trip.

However following the remarks of Aran Apichari on 29th July, loyalty marketing director for Thai where he admited that it was very difficult to get flights back from Europe I now wonder if there is a change in policy on redemptions.

He did go onto to say that Asia and Australia were ok but given the lowest load factors for years from Europe why all of a sudden these inbound flights are not available?

If you cannot get redemptions then the FFP is worthless and as Thai as long been noted with ROP, BD and all other *A for its ease of redemptions it makes me wonder what the hell is going on when load factor is so low.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues ?
Hmmm... Random search using KVS gives me:
12/10/2010 TG911 FS- CS+ YS+
13/10/2010 TG911 FS- CS+ YS+
18/10/2010 TG917 FS+ CS- YS+
27/10/2010 TG917 FS+ CS- YS+

So it looks they are there but hard to find... Perhaps because it is too close now? On the other hand, random availability search would not suggest C class being sold out...

[KVS Availability Tool 5.6.0/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/GTC/US-LTR]
Code:
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
BKK  Bangkok Int'l TH [VTBD]
THU  14 Oct 2010

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------
TG         911     LHR   12:30     BKK   06:05 +1  744  0   F4 A4 P4 C4 D4 J4 Z4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 Q4 T4 K4 S4 V4 W4
TG         917     LHR   21:30     BKK   15:05 +1  744  0   F4 A4 P4 C4 D4 J4 Z4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 Q4 T4 K4 S4 V4 W4
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
No redemptions is a pretty sensational headline.

Seats change every day, keep checking.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Hope I am wrong but using Thai website tool which allows booking redemptions online here in Thailand shows no or very little availability.

Just worried as seems a lot harder than usual to find availabilty.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Hope I am wrong but using Thai website tool which allows booking redemptions online here in Thailand shows no or very little availability.

Just worried as seems a lot harder than usual to find availabilty.
The results that I am getting are from KVS (basically ANA). Considering the fact that most airlines have better redemption for their own FFP than for others, I think you should not have much problem getting those seats. Did you try to call TG instead of using web? Perhaps they have problem with the website, which would not be surprising...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:05 am
Original Poster

[On the other hand, random availability search would not suggest C class being sold out...

[KVS Availability Tool 5.6.0/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/GTC/US-LTR]
Code:
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
BKK  Bangkok Int'l TH [VTBD]
THU  14 Oct 2010

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------
TG         911     LHR   12:30     BKK   06:05 +1  744  0   F4 A4 P4 C4 D4 J4 Z4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 Q4 T4 K4 S4 V4 W4
TG         917     LHR   21:30     BKK   15:05 +1  744  0   F4 A4 P4 C4 D4 J4 Z4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 Q4 T4 K4 S4 V4 W4
[/QUOTE]

You must be right as just went back to Thai website and tried dummy booking for for 14th Oct as your source is showing 4 seats in Z class but Thai website is still showing no availability !
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dazz81
No redemptions is a pretty sensational headline.

Seats change every day, keep checking.
Again I bow down to your superior knowledge and must be wrong. I will call the local office to book this week.

If I have a problem I am sure I can find help on this forum from others with better knowledge than me.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
as dazz81 says - keep checking, as the availability changes with TG...

...just be thankful you're not trying to get reward seats with an airline like QANTAS - worst ever.....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
If I have a problem I am sure I can find help on this forum from others with better knowledge than me..
Hope you got some seats, I am having no end of trouble,as every European flight is totally booked. The Paris flights are leaving without a spare seat in any class. I am not used to booking months out just to get a seat. Getting up to Bangkok is easy, seats everywhere, but I get waitlisted on everything else. Hope your luck is better
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hope you got some seats, I am having no end of trouble,as every European flight is totally booked. The Paris flights are leaving without a spare seat in any class. I am not used to booking months out just to get a seat. Getting up to Bangkok is easy, seats everywhere, but I get waitlisted on everything else. Hope your luck is better
Hi BKKROP yes I fear it is some kind of sweeping change in availability as I have never encountered this before.

Following the statement from Thai admiting that availability from Europe is a problem, it must be bad. They say no problem in Asia- Pacific and it makes me wonder if they may be considering lease planes with lower capacity than 747s so maybe a blanket solution until they work out available capacity later. Example 777ER less seats than 747.

I was looking at a biz ticket redemption but I have an unexpected windfall of miles coming soon so can also look at F around the 3rd week of October from LHR.

I will try on the phone but expect to have to make a visit to the Silom office to have a better chance of sucess.

As I say the Thai section of the website where bookings can be made online from LHR is showing almost zero availability as is ex BKK LHR in April May 2010.

Will post when I try and book firm dates when my miles post.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=bkkman;14458413] considering lease planes with lower capacity than 747s so maybe a blanket solution until they work out available capacity later. Example 777ER less seats than 747.QUOTE]

The gossip was they wanted to pick up some of the SQ 747's short term, as they are unable to cope with the demand, all I know is they are trying to get extra seats on the routes. I haven't followed up on what planes are due when and where..

here is a head up for you, many of us are swinging over to Aegean as a secondary program to replace BD, gives you 200%-300%+, but there are some hidden gems of perks and priveleges. If you want I will keep you posted, still early days so we may all come terrib;lely unstuck
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

here is a head up for you, many of us are swinging over to Aegean as a secondary program to replace BD, gives you 200%-300%+, but there are some hidden gems of perks and priveleges. If you want I will keep you posted, still early days so we may all come terrib;lely unstuck[/QUOTE]

Yes I joined Aegean several weeks ago but not posted any miles yet, 1st August I think they launched as *A but good info for others I am sure. If you look on BD site they are very active and upto date with most of this info.

Interesting about picking up SQ 747 though.

One mans trash is another mans gold !!!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:48 pm

Well, it's good for Thai Airways if they are filling up the planes, and good for the country.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by dazz81
Well, it's good for Thai Airways if they are filling up the planes, and good for the country.
Oh i think they are still suffering very badly out of Australia dazz, and the Chinese and Japanese also, are always hesitant to go to any areas where shooting or trouble was/is. I think it will take awhile for a few nationalities to come back. It would be interesting to see how many are staying in Thailand and how many are using BKK as a transit point. This past week, i hardly saw a tourist in Bangkok, but incrediblely the hotel was full. Maybe it's all business. you would have a good idea, where do they want to go? I do know that Indonesia is full to the brim and overflowing, there's tourist everywhere.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:28 am

I dont think many Australians are hesitating to go to Thailand, but most are going directly to the beaches. Haven't heard of anyone cancelling recently.

Bali is very popular and is overpriced, I am recommending Thailand as it's much better value at the moment, especially with the TG/Tourism Authority specials on this month.

My last couple of flights on mel/bkk have been reasonably full. Check-in staff tell me the 1600 departure ex-MEL is quiet but the midnight flight is going out fairly full.

They are regularly selling out the morning 747 from BKK to HKT with all the tourists connecting from elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.