Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connecting time BKK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why not just book the award KBV-LHR? Same price.
ROP told me over the phone that you couldn't do mixed class bookings. Is that not right?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by louie-m
ROP told me over the phone that you couldn't do mixed class bookings. Is that not right?
if award is in F, then on legs, where F is not available, next higher class (J) will be booked
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by BinSabai
if award is in F, then on legs, where F is not available, next higher class (J) will be booked
Also that would make it an open jaw (LHR - BKK in F then KBV - BKK - LHR in J and then F. That's still OK? Can I book it online or will I need to ring?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Anything that is not a simple return or one-way will require you to contact Thai ROP by calling/emailing (at least in my experience).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm no expert on the Royal Orchid program, but the rules do allow both stopovers and open jaws.

One stopover in each direction between origin and destination, and one open jaw at point of turnaround or origin, are allowed on international flights.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
I have a transfer question regarding two sets of flights I've ended up booking due to my calendar shifting around, with BKK being the transit location.

In both cases, they are booked on separate tickets. Will I, and where will I be able to pick up my boarding pass in the transfer area in BKK. Will I have it before clearing security or after? Hand baggage only.

1st connection:
TG318 arr. 0505
CX619 dep. 1245

2nd connection:
SQ982 arr. 1900
TG682 dep. 2315

Thank!

Last edited by bowzer91; Jan 17, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:16 pm

Transit desks are after the transit security on departure level
some of the desks are on EAST side (conjunction A/B/C/D concourse) and some on WEST side (conjunction D/E/F/G concourse). TG is on east side, you have to check (there are boards in the arrival area indicating for each airline) where CX transit desk is

however you should ask at check in, whether you can check through and also get boarding pass for second flight
that should at least be possible in SIN as both airlines belong to *Alliance. TG is usually very flexible and open for check throughs, but I am not sure whether CX allow them for the separate ticket...

let us know about your experience
bowzer91 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Transit desks are after the transit security on departure level
some of the desks are on EAST side (conjunction A/B/C/D concourse) and some on WEST side (conjunction D/E/F/G concourse). TG is on east side, you have to check (there are boards in the arrival area indicating for each airline) where CX transit desk is

however you should ask at check in, whether you can check through and also get boarding pass for second flight
that should at least be possible in SIN as both airlines belong to *Alliance. TG is usually very flexible and open for check throughs, but I am not sure whether CX allow them for the separate ticket...

let us know about your experience
Just to add to BinSabai's excellent advice - the CX transfer desk should be on the west side since all CX flights leave from that side of the airport (of course, as the saying goes, there is an exception to every rule, but at least I have never experienced a CX flight arriving and departing anywhere further east than D4)
bowzer91 and BinSabai like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Just to add to BinSabai's excellent advice - the CX transfer desk should be on the west side since all CX flights leave from that side of the airport (of course, as the saying goes, there is an exception to every rule, but at least I have never experienced a CX flight arriving and departing anywhere further east than D4)
thanks for the Addition
Transfer desk West makes sense as CX lounge is in concourse G
unfortunately there is no online listing of transfer desks, as it probably changes too often
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I asked around in BKK airport but was unable to check it out since I arrived O-D into BKK but I am looking at doing an INTL-INTL on seperate tickets HKG-BKK (RJ) arriving 23:20 followed by BKK-ADD (ET) departing at 02:00 as RJ and ET dont interline.

is this feasible? I specifically am unsure about how to get my tickets since I cant see where/if ET has operating transfer desks (though the billboard shows that nominally, ET has desks along with *A in Transfer West). Can I enter the transfer security simply with my emailed itinerary and then print my ticket at the gate?

and Ive been reading here that the transfer security times can be quite bad at that hour before the midnight bank departures but I assume 2 hours, without an inbound delay, should still be adequate?

would appreciate any thoughts!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
We can only provide limited comment here since this is the TG thread rather than for other non-Thailand based carriers.

My view is that 2 hours on separate tickets transfer in BKK carries some risk to your arrangements since if you arrive late you will be responsible to resolving onwards travel, not the second carrier. BKK is also quite large, and can take time to move between concourses. If you need to collect onwards BP then this will add time to the process.

Others may have comment on the specific airlines concerned.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:28 pm

if you do not have checked in bags (which you would have to claim after normal Immigration), you certainly can go through transit security with a print out of your itinerary and ET has certainly transit desks (unfortunately there is not list of Transit desks, west and east as things change often, so you have to look on the billboard, whether the desk is actually at Transfer west).
Peak at Transit security is usually 2130-2300 and 2 hrs 40 is plenty to pass Transit security and get Boarding pass at Transfer desk
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I asked around in BKK airport but was unable to check it out since I arrived O-D into BKK but I am looking at doing an INTL-INTL on seperate tickets HKG-BKK (RJ) arriving 23:20 followed by BKK-ADD (ET) departing at 02:00 as RJ and ET dont interline.

is this feasible? I specifically am unsure about how to get my tickets since I cant see where/if ET has operating transfer desks (though the billboard shows that nominally, ET has desks along with *A in Transfer West). Can I enter the transfer security simply with my emailed itinerary and then print my ticket at the gate?

and Ive been reading here that the transfer security times can be quite bad at that hour before the midnight bank departures but I assume 2 hours, without an inbound delay, should still be adequate?

would appreciate any thoughts!
Just wanted to update in case anyone stumbles here from flyertalk search (as I did) as I don't believe there is an up to date thread on BKK transfer outside of this forum.

Arrival was on-time and I proceeded through the EAST or WEST Transfer Gates. You only need some form of ticket receipt to show that you have a connecting flight - paper, phone, whatever. Transfer security screen was very quiet and quick when I arrived, and proceeded upstairs to the transfer desk area. I believe EK and all *A are in one of EAST or WEST (I forget which) along with a few other non-affiliated airlines and I would guess that OW/ST would be in the other section. There are plenty of signboards when you exit the plane directing you to the transfer area, and very large boards showing which airlines are at either EAST or WEST Transfer area. Very easy.

Most airlines share desks/personnel with each other, as the desks are run by AOT and not the dedicated airline's staff. You shouldn't need your BP unless you want to enter an airline's lounge or have other specific requirements, as BPs can be printed at the gate, as mine was. Keep in mind that the desks only approximately follow T-3 hours up until T-1 hours that staff will be able to reference. In my case the desk, shared with other airlines, was only staffeed T-3 to T-1.5.

All in all, BKK is a pretty easy/comfortable airport to do these types of transfers. But I did not have checked in luggage, so would caution against anything fancy on separate tickets / different alliances.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thank you for reporting back about your positive experience at BKK. It more or less mirrors my transfer experiences at BKK - smooth as silk
Thai-Kiwi and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:23 am

thanks Bonaventure
for lounge access you do not need a print out boarding pass, electronic on smartphone will do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.