Wiki Posts
Search

Drivers Call for Dallas North Tollway Boycott

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Drivers Call for Dallas North Tollway Boycott

Seems like a pretty steep hike to me. Of course, boycotts like this never work. The real question is whether the cost is worth it over the long run to regular users of the Tollway. If they're willing to pay, then the hike will stick. The other thing to note is that electronic tolling customers get a significant discount, so to say it costs "nearly $7" doesn't really tell the whole story.

Driving the full length of the Tollway from US 380 in Denton County to Interstate 35 in Dallas now costs cash customers nearly $7 -- up more than $2 from a month ago.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-57665692.html
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From where I live, the amounts are lower but the percentage increases are greater. For me to drive to downtown Dallas, the rates went from $1.40 each way to $2.16, an increase of over 50%.

A driver with a Tolltag who drives the full length will pay $4.30, up from $3.15. Do that roundtrip M-F every week, and your annual toll bill is increasing $575/year.

This, on a road where the original promise was to remove the tolls once the road was paid for. Instead, a unelected quasi-governmental agency now uses the funds to build more roads, and raise rates far outpacing inflation.

It's eacy to see why so many people are so angry. That said, I doubt a boycott will help. NTTA has admitted that a big reason for the increase is that revenues were running below expectation, as fewer drivers opt for the toll roads...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
NTTA has admitted that a big reason for the increase is that revenues were running below expectation, as fewer drivers opt for the toll roads...
Raising tolls to cover lower-than-expected revenue is an interesting strategy. If the toll was $100 each way, then no one would use it save a few wealthy show-offs. The overall revenue would plummet. If the toll was lowered to a penny then traffic would skyrocket...but revenues would also plummet.

The real question is whether there is a point at which tolls are high enough to raise sufficient revenue, but low enough to entice drivers (i.e. customers). In a way it's the same thing that retail stores must consider when setting prices. The difference is that if a tollway went broke, it would probably be bailed out by taxpayers.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The real question is whether there is a point at which tolls are high enough to raise sufficient revenue, but low enough to entice drivers (i.e. customers). In a way it's the same thing that retail stores must consider when setting prices. The difference is that if a tollway went broke, it would probably be bailed out by taxpayers.
Except, of course, that the missions are different. It should not be just about revenue. The goal of a retail store (or any business) is to maximize profitability. The mission of the NTTA is to "improve the mobility, quality of life and economy of the North Texas region."

A hypothetical tollbooth that charged $300,000,000.00, driven by one car per year, would be an increase in revenue for the NTTA, but do little to help North Texas.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i thought the overall tollway system was unprofitable, or at least unable to borrow and add more roads. for that reason, the next sections of toll roads will be privately funded, and tolls will go to the road owners.

i do not live in dallas, so only see occasional blurbs about the toll system
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag

A hypothetical tollbooth that charged $300,000,000.00, driven by one car per year, would be an increase in revenue for the NTTA, but do little to help North Texas.
Fair point, but a broke toll road that has to shut down wouldn't do much for North Texas, either. [Not that it would shut down...at some point it would be bailed out, thus draining resources from other projects].

My admittedly inexpert suggestion to the NTTA would be to consider a congestion pricing model, which offers discounts to off-peak users. This might encourage drivers to use the road during times of day when they may otherwise choose surface streets to avoid the toll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.