Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Transcport Options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Dallas Transcport Options

OK I tried to AA board but haven't got a full answer yet.

Basically I have around 24 hours in DFW and I want to visit the following sites:

AA Museum

JFK Museum

So I want to know whether or not:

1) should I stay in a DFW airport (Westin is possible as it is on Priceline and also I can avoid the minimum taxi charge?)

2) Stay in Dallas Downtown

3) Stay in Fort Worth Downtown

I do NOT want to drive as I don't know the area well
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Well, cross staying in Ft. Worth off your list as it really isn't close to either of those museums.

The JFK museum (I'm assuming you mean the book repository) is right on the outskirts of downtown Dallas while the AA museum is just south of the airport I believe.

I think your best bet would be to stay at the DFW hotel and take a cab to both places.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Well, cross staying in Ft. Worth off your list as it really isn't close to either of those museums.

The JFK museum (I'm assuming you mean the book repository) is right on the outskirts of downtown Dallas while the AA museum is just south of the airport I believe.

I think your best bet would be to stay at the DFW hotel and take a cab to both places.
Thanks, which of the Airport hotels would you recommend. Originally I wanted to try the Grand Hyatt, but because there is a minimum charge on the taxi in the airport, I think maybe just something else.

Also I arrive into DFW on Friday at 1455 and will leave at 1745 the next day.

Should I do the museum first on the first day of arrival and then do Dallas downtown the following day?

Also are there cheaper options to get from the Airport area to Dallas Downtown? I guess dinning options aroudn the airport is a bit limited and since there are quite a bit of time, I might as well explore Dallas a bi tmore?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
You could try taking a taxi into town and staying in town. I live in the area, and unfortunately I don't know the hotels at all, but if you stayed at a downtown Dallas hotel you could walk to the Sixth Floor museum. Then you could maybe have the taxi take you to the AA place on your way to DFW.

Distances around here are significant. The taxi ride to downtown might cost you $75. Renting a car would be a good option. Get one with a GPS and you're golden.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
You could try taking a taxi into town and staying in town. I live in the area, and unfortunately I don't know the hotels at all, but if you stayed at a downtown Dallas hotel you could walk to the Sixth Floor museum. Then you could maybe have the taxi take you to the AA place on your way to DFW.

Distances around here are significant. The taxi ride to downtown might cost you $75. Renting a car would be a good option. Get one with a GPS and you're golden.
PArking? and also traffic jam?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you stay at/near the airport, the Trinity Rail Express might be worth a look. From the terminals, it's two short free shuttle rides to the Centerport station. From there, the train to Union Station in Dallas takes 30 minutes and costs $2.25 each way. From Union Station to the Book Depository is about a half mile walk, or one stop and $1.25 on the DART light rail.

Note - the train does not run Sundays.
http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org
http://www.dart.org
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
If you stay at/near the airport, the Trinity Rail Express might be worth a look. From the terminals, it's two short free shuttle rides to the Centerport station. From there, the train to Union Station in Dallas takes 30 minutes and costs $2.25 each way. From Union Station to the Book Depository is about a half mile walk, or one stop and $1.25 on the DART light rail.

Note - the train does not run Sundays.
http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org
http://www.dart.org
Thanks.

I heard the shuttle between the station and the airport can take like 1 hour?
Alternatively I can jsut call a taxi to get to the station.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

car rental in dallas is very inexpensive. check orbitz. dallas is not that difficult to get around. the entire surface is paved. just bring quarters for the toll machines. the restaurants around and to the east of DWF are quite good, and very good value and all have parking.

I do not know about the taxi situation. I do not see many taxi around the airport, and see none in the area of north dallas and north suburbs. same as SE florida. no taxi at PBI or FLL. car rental is too cheap.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtwdone4
Thanks.

I heard the shuttle between the station and the airport can take like 1 hour?
Alternatively I can jsut call a taxi to get to the station.
I don't know, I've taken TRE but not to the airport. I'd assume the bulk of the time is waiting for the bus to come, since the distances are just a couple of miles.

The first shuttle is the one to South Remote, which is the cheapest parking and hence the least frequent shuttle. I'd guess it runs every 15 minutes, but not sure. Also not sure of the South to TRE station frequency. A cab to the station would hit the $17 minumum.
http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/taxis.html

Coming back, there always seem to be buses waiting to meet the train, so I'd guess that wait is minimal. And from South back to the airport, unless you have to visit the ticket counter, I'd just hop on whichever terminal's bus comes first. If you have your boarding pass and no checked bags, you can enter security at any terminal and ride the efficient air-side skylink to your departure gate.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For anyone reading this thread for Trinity Rail or DART info, effective today, fares have increased.

Trinity Rail (from the airport, or between Dallas & FW):
From DFW west to Ft Worth, the one way fare is now $2.50.
From DFW east to Dallas, , the one way fare is now $3.75.

DART (buses & light rail):
$1.75 single ride, $4.00 day pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.