San Antonio in September...what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Elite Plus, *A Gold Elite, American AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Platinum

Apologies for starting a new thread, I have searched on here and read a lot of the feedback but here's our situation.

We are going to Chicago and St Thomas in September and wanted a destination for four more nights. We considered almost every major US city and in the end we drew lots and we're going to San Antonio!! Last week in September, arriving Monday evening, departing Friday afternoon.

No hotel booked yet...any recommendations? Between my OH and I we have Hyatt Platinum and Hilton Gold Cards so those are certainly our first preferences though we are tempted to go down the Hotwire/Priceline routes.

What to do? I think Seaworld and Six Flags will be on the list as will the Alamo. I presume we should hire a car?

Will pick up a guidebook later...just wondering if there are any gems of things to do or places to eat that FTers want to share?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shesells
Apologies for starting a new thread, I have searched on here and read a lot of the feedback but here's our situation.

We are going to Chicago and St Thomas in September and wanted a destination for four more nights. We considered almost every major US city and in the end we drew lots and we're going to San Antonio!! Last week in September, arriving Monday evening, departing Friday afternoon.

No hotel booked yet...any recommendations? Between my OH and I we have Hyatt Platinum and Hilton Gold Cards so those are certainly our first preferences though we are tempted to go down the Hotwire/Priceline routes.

What to do? I think Seaworld and Six Flags will be on the list as will the Alamo. I presume we should hire a car?

Will pick up a guidebook later...just wondering if there are any gems of things to do or places to eat that FTers want to share?

Thanks in advance
The Riverwalk, of course is a major attraction in the downtown area. They just opened an extension going North all the way to the Museum of Art and then the old Pearl Brewery. Downtown there is a Hilton (Palacio del Rio) and a Hyatt. Both are kind of dated but passable. I prefer the Homewood Suites, also on the Riverwalk, but down on the less transited end towards the West. The breakfast area has floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the river with lush vegetation.
A nice couple of hours should be spent wondering the King William historic district, just South of Downtown. It's about a 10 sq block area with large homes from the late 1800's built for mostly German immigrant businessmen. At the S.end of that ares is the Guenther House, home of the founder of Pioneer Flour Mills, and now a museum/gift store/little restaurant which is recommended for breakfast and to a lesser degree light lunch.
One Mexican restaurant I enjoy is Picante Grill, 3810 Broadway, right across from the Witte museum, also recommended, and Brackenridge Park which has a nice Zoo.
Those are a few highlights just off the top of my head- there is a lot to see and do, and yes a rental car is a must.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Elite Plus, *A Gold Elite, American AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for that. Have booked the Omni La Mansion Del Rio as we got a great deal through visitsanantonio.com so now we can start to plan properly!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:40 pm

Sorry to tell you, but in late September, Sea World San Antonio is only open on weekends. Your Monday through Friday visit will find them closed.

You'll enjoy La Mansion del Rio, once upon a time the nicest downtown hotel, fell into a bit of disrepair, then Omni took over and is doing a nice job.

Notenut has a decent list. About a 2 minute walk east from your hotel, on the Riverwalk level of the Hyatt, is the Landing, a small bar/club where the Jim Cullum Jazz Band calls home. Unfortunately, they will only be there Monday night, but this is a great way to spend the time from about 8:30 to midnight your first night in town. Not modern jazz, but old style and a lot of fun.

There really isn't a lot going on in SA that week (there's a Creed/Staind concert on 9/24 and Jaimee Foxx on 9/27 if that's your thing). I'd definitely get in a car and explore. If you are adventurous and good with maps, I'd make a loop west to Bandera (self-proclaimed "Cowboy Capital of the World"), then northeast to Fredericksburg for a little German food, on to the Willow City Loop, then have a beer at Luckenbach before heading home for the evening (this would be a fairly full day).

Or, you could try some true Texas barbeque by heading to Lockhart, about an hour northeast. Try Smitty's Market downtown or Black's, but plan them for lunch, not supper. You could proceed on to Austin from there to check out the sights or soak up the music scene.

Or you could be at the beach in about 3 hours, though I'd head past Corpus Christi and go toward Port Aransas or Rockport/Fulton. In late September there will be lots of waterfowl near Port Aransas, as well as tons of hummingbirds.

By late September, the weather is pleasant enough - still warm but not stifling hot. Strolling around the Riverwalk can be very enjoyable. Be sure to take the cruise at least once (very cheap) to get the history lesson that comes with it.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
With four days in San Antonio and the theme parks closed during the week (i.e. Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels will also be closed by then), you'll have some extra time - so in addition to the top attractions mentioned already I'll point you to the Texas map on Roadside America. I went to SA two months ago and while I did not make it to the Toilet Seat Musuem or Wooden Nickel Musuem, I did drive by the World's Largest Boots (and if I had more time I totally would have done the other two as well).

You could also do a day trip to Austin. I plan to check out the Texas State History Musuem on my next visit in late September (will be there a week before you). There is a pretty good outlet mall in between Austin and San Antonio if you want to add a few hours of shopping to the trip.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Definitely have to do the river walk, very pretty, great if you're there on a quiet day, it's where I proposed to my fiancee.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys SO much!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:00 am

The manager at La Mansion Del Rio is awesome, we have stayed there quite often, even being locals! We always email him and ask him to give us a room (I think the 5th floor) where we have a balcony and can have a great view of the river walk, he is very accomodoting- If you want his email address pm me and I will see if I still have it in my address book. Sunset Station is nice, as is the Cameo Theatre; also Blue Star Brewery.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
I second a day trip to Austin if you cant go to the amusement parks during the weekdays. Its only about an hour drive, with the outlet malls in San Marcos located about half way. In addition to the Texas State History Museum, there is the LBJ Presidential Libraray, the Texas State Capitol building, the bat colony (which you can see very well from the Hyatt Regency in downtown Austin), and the Barton Springs area.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

ooh thanks for that idea..we're both US politics mad...so the Presidential Library is something we'd love to do but hadn't thought of!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I highly recommend a meal at Paloma Blanca. Best Mexican restaurant in town.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Aug 31, 2009 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:18 pm

Don't miss the Riverwalk for scenic beauty. It is the major attraction in San Antonio.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I highly recommend a meal at Paloma Blanca. Best Mexican restaurant in town.
Spot. On. ^ ^

If you have some extra time, visiting the other missions (in addition to The Alamo) is also an interesting way to spend a morning or afternoon.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hire Car sorted...Chart House at Tower of the Americas booked for hubby's birthday dinner...things starting to come together now - good thing as we start our trip next weekend (though don't get to San Antonio until 9 days in)

Thanks again for all the great suggestions - keep em coming! :-:
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: NW PE, Marriott GE, HHonors Gold, *wood Gold, Priority Club, Hertz 5*, Avis Wizard
Talking

Well it really depends on what you like to do! San Antonio is the world's biggest town and a great place to hang out. The Riverwalk is very nice to find a casual place to go fro drinks or have dinner. The boat tour is somewhat interesting but not necessary.

There are many other things to do in San Antonio some of which have already been mentioned. Of course you could always:

1) see the Alamo
2) head a short drive north to Natural Bridge Caverns
3) take the Mission Trail to learn about various San Antonio missions
4) visit the San Antonio Botanical Gardens to view some truly amazing flora & fauna
5) head to the Institute of Texas Culture to learn about the story of Texas
6) learn about legendary lawmen at the Texas Ranger Museum
7) go wild at the San Antonio Zoo
8) count antlers at the world famous Hall of Horns
9) catch a show at The Majestic Theater
10) Cool off an ride the wave at Splashtown
11) get your culture on with Madame Butterfly at the San Antonio Opera house

And of course lots of great Mexican food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.