Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas restaurant recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Dallas restaurant recommendations?

Hey,

I'm going to Dallas for business soon, and after all the business stuff is taken care of my husband will join me there for some weekend fun. Can someone recommend a couple delicious, funky/laid-back, local-flavors kind of restaurants? I have a list of good Dallas Restaurants but I want another point of view. High-end/stuffy isn't our scene, but we do appreciate very good food and wine, and don't mind paying for it.

We're staying at the Belmont Hotel, if that helps, and we will have a car (but prefer to be able to cab or stumble back to our hotel). Thanks!
Justeen
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:39 am

Since you're staying at the Belmont, I suggest Hattie's and la Calle Doce. Both are in Oak Cliff, low key, no over the top Dallas 'tude and darn good food. enjoy.
dan
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
The Belmont is opening a new restaurant called Smoke, with a renowned local chef (Tim Byres) that I would try if it's opened when you are there.

Hatties (takes reservations) is excellent and a 5 min drive away from The Belmont. Also Bolsa (does not take reservations) is excellent, with a changing menu, a funky atmosphere and great patio dining. It's 2 minutes further down from Hatties.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:51 pm
Dt2

I hope this won't sound silly as I am not really a restaurant person and the names I am going to make are not Dallas-exclusive (they're not chains per se but you can surely find them in some other cities).

That being said, I really enjoy the restaurants on Greenville Avenue, namely Gloria's (good Mexican and Salvadorian food) and Simply Fondue (I don't know if you've ever done/heard of it before but you basically get to cook your own food in a fondue set right in front of you. Really good bonding experience with your dinner partner, too -- comes off as mildly fancy but ends up being a very laid back place).

As far as fish-based cuisine goes, I suggest Laundry's in the West End (if you like fish, that's a great place to get it. Love their crab cakes! oh yeah, I can hook you up with a coupon for a free appetizer if you buy a full entrée) and Pappadeaux.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
There's a pretty big thread of Dallas recommendations here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...as-dining.html
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gloria's is great, but weekend brunch lines are very bad. went to Plano last sunday, and the crowd was out in the parking lot before 9am!! Not a lot of places open on sunday AM, but gee whiz.

For brunch, Indyafusion, 7300 macarthur in irving. considerable variety for brunch

another great brunch place is cafe italia on lovers lane. not at at all italina for brunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.