Wiki Posts
Search

DFW help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
DFW help

I am flying into DFW, Terminal C (Maybe C-35?) and meeting someone who is flying into C-10. I have 1 1/2 hours between when I get there, and when I have to my daughter's friend. I assume I should leave the secure area, and go ahead and claim my bag - but then where do I go for an hour and a half? My memory of DFW is a little fuzzy - it's been several years, and I didn't really have my bearing then - but I remember just claiming my bag, then walking outside to where the person picking me up was parked - no shops, no restaurants, nowhere really to sit and people watch. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
First of all, gates and even terminals for AA at DFW are pretty variable. A flight that went into C-10 yesterday and C-10 again today, may well go into terminal A or D tomorrow.

Definitely plan to connect via cell phone, or else to plan to meet at the bag claim for their flight. Meeting "at the exit from security" is too ambiguous for DFW.

You're memory is correct, there are no bars, restaurants, or shops at DFW once outside security. They've finally added some soda machines, but that's it. The exception is inside the Hyatt hotel at terminal D - that's ideal if you land at D, but if not, getting from A or C to D once airside is enough of a pain (a slow shuttle bus called Terminal Link) that it's not worthwhile for the hour or so you'll have to kill after getting your bag.

What's your plan once you meet your friend? If you'll be getting a rental car, I'd just use the time after you claim your bag to go ahead and pick up the car, then drive back to the friend's terminal, park in the one-hour spaces on the upper level of the garage, and meet them when they arrive.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Thanks for your reply - I will check before leaving tomorrow to see what gates we are both landing in. My husband is picking both of us up, he is flying in today and will have a rental car, so I guess I'm just out of luck - hopefully there will at least be a chair somewhere I can sit in out of the heat and read my book! I'll probably wander and shop around inside security for a bit before claiming my bag - that will waste a little time!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are seats in baggage claim. there are seats at the rental car pickup sites(outdoors). they are shaded, as they are under other roads. the rental car pickup sites are 3 to each terminal i have ever used, so you could plan to meet at the one nearest gate C-35, which is the furthest north stop.

if you want to choose to meet at the furthest south stop, you could get on the bus and ride down there.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, UA 1K, HY GLOBALIST
At the International arrivals waiting area in terminal D there is a small coffee stand with seats and tables and a small shop that sells books/mags/candy etc.

It's not much, but for DFW it's your only choice.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by paulTX
At the International arrivals waiting area in terminal D there is a small coffee stand with seats and tables and a small shop that sells books/mags/candy etc.

It's not much, but for DFW it's your only choice.
Not entirely true. The Grand Hyatt is landside and has a lovely lounge... nice cocktails, coffee bar, and very decent food. That's where I head when I'm waiting on someone at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.