Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH - International arrival to E domestic in 45mins??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH - International arrival to E domestic in 45mins??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Exclamation IAH - International arrival to E domestic in 45mins??

Morning all,
Flying on via BA on wednesday into IAH Terminal D. I have a gate arrival time of 13:40 and then a UA departure from E at 15:00. UA have a 45min bag drop policy so the question is where is the best/quickest place for me to drop my bags for the UA flight to Vegas? I was there last month and know you can't check in at E. Hoping on can pick up my bags then jump back in at D and drop them there??

I'm flying over First so will be off the plane quickly. What are the odds of dropping my bags in time?? I assume the 45mins by UA is pretty strict??
Any local help would be appreciated.

cheers
Adam
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Can you just do carry on? The 2 biggest issues will be if there is a delay and waiting for your checked in bags to come out.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Can you just do carry on? The 2 biggest issues will be if there is a delay and waiting for your checked in bags to come out.
I did think about that and a couple of carry ones should suffice - but its the liquids. Don't US domestic have the same restraints as EU flights, ie 100ml limits?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Ask them nicely at check in to interline your bags? Since you're in first they might be willing , but it's against policy.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atsak
Ask them nicely at check in to interline your bags? Since you're in first they might be willing , but it's against policy.
If it was AA then yep could do. But going via United and its a different airline group so they won't let me - shame
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: UA
Despite Terminal D arrival, you'll be walking to the Terminal E International Arrivals station for customs and immigration. Upon exiting Customs, you will find the baggage "re-drop" on your right. Go past those, and you'll find a United baggage desk against the back wall. After checking your bags there, you can turn around and go upstairs to the Terminal E security area.

You have to get to that desk by 14:15 - and yes, they're strict, computer will block it at the exact minute. You don't mention nationality. A US citizen should have no problem getting through passport control. Visitors could face a line greater than 30 minutes. Sometimes, UA luggage takes that long to come out, but I have no experience with BA. The good thing is there's no control or inspection exiting Customs, passengers just file past an officer surveying the line, so you can get to the desk within 5 minutes of pulling your bags off the carousel. But all-in-all, I think that's a difficult task.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Despite Terminal D arrival, you'll be walking to the Terminal E International Arrivals station for customs and immigration. Upon exiting Customs, you will find the baggage "re-drop" on your right. Go past those, and you'll find a United baggage desk against the back wall. After checking your bags there, you can turn around and go upstairs to the Terminal E security area.

You have to get to that desk by 14:15 - and yes, they're strict, computer will block it at the exact minute. You don't mention nationality. A US citizen should have no problem getting through passport control. Visitors could face a line greater than 30 minutes. Sometimes, UA luggage takes that long to come out, but I have no experience with BA. The good thing is there's no control or inspection exiting Customs, passengers just file past an officer surveying the line, so you can get to the desk within 5 minutes of pulling your bags off the carousel. But all-in-all, I think that's a difficult task.
thanks for the info - yeah I know its tight. Will find out tomorrow afternoon when I run through the terminal :-)
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PinkFatBunny
Will find out tomorrow afternoon when I run through the terminal :-)
I don't think you'll need to run. I'm guessing you'll miss the cut-off and your bags will be on the next flight to Vegas. I'm not sure what that means for you, whether they'll force you to ride with your bags or not.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:33 am
Original Poster

plane from LHR is delayed 20mins so think I'm screwed. Lets hope they make up time.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
20 minutes is not bad. And the schedules are really rather padded so you may not necessarily be screwed. Just don't dilly dally and do your best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.