Wiki Posts
Search

Baklava "arms race" at DFW lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Baklava "arms race" at DFW lounges

Ok, recently flew ABQ-DFW-JFK, and being NYC-based and rarely at DFW, we decided to lounge hop in a brief layover. First went into the Centurion lounge, where they had these nice baklava mini cakes. Then went to check out all the hype at the CapitalOne lounge (it was pretty great), and they had their own little pistachio baklava cakes. Not bad!

Finally ended at the Admirals Club in Terminal A, and they had baklava cigars! Now, I'm not complaining -- the baklava cigars were actually the best lounge desert that I've ever eaten -- but I found the whole thing bizarre. Is it a complete coincidence that all 3 lounges are serving the same niche Mediterranean dessert, or are they actively trying to one-up each other's food offerings??
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Ok, recently flew ABQ-DFW-JFK, and being NYC-based and rarely at DFW, we decided to lounge hop in a brief layover. First went into the Centurion lounge, where they had these nice baklava mini cakes. Then went to check out all the hype at the CapitalOne lounge (it was pretty great), and they had their own little pistachio baklava cakes. Not bad!

Finally ended at the Admirals Club in Terminal A, and they had baklava cigars! Now, I'm not complaining -- the baklava cigars were actually the best lounge desert that I've ever eaten -- but I found the whole thing bizarre. Is it a complete coincidence that all 3 lounges are serving the same niche Mediterranean dessert, or are they actively trying to one-up each other's food offerings??
Walmart.com had a sale.
Antarius, AAway, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All the lounges use the same catering company?
arollins, wrp96 and cssmd27 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
All the lounges use the same catering company?
That would make sense, but I'm not sure it's true.. I thought LSG Sky Chefs did the Admirals Club catering, and I don't believe they cater the Amex and Cap1 lounges (though definitely could be wrong -- as I said, I'm never at DFW.)

Also, all the deserts were morphologically different -- one was square walnut baklava, one were larger triangular pistachio baklava, and one was a bizarre borek/cigar baklava hybrid that I've never seen before.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 6:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just got home from two weeks in Greece.

I do not like baklava. Haha.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by 355F1
Just got home from two weeks in Greece.

I do not like baklava. Haha.
Eating baklava in Greece is akin to eating moussaka in Turkey. Same, but very different - just like raki and ouzo.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Did you take any photos of the different baklava type desserts? Would be interesting to see what they were like.

And how moist were they? I like a syrupy/juicy baklava but many types found outside the Middle East can be quite dry.

Finally, if you’re a fan of middle eastern desserts, you need to try knafeh. Specifically, go to this shop in Jerusalem which specializes in it:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._District.html
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
Did you take any photos of the different baklava type desserts? Would be interesting to see what they were like.

And how moist were they? I like a syrupy/juicy baklava but many types found outside the Middle East can be quite dry.

Finally, if you’re a fan of middle eastern desserts, you need to try knafeh. Specifically, go to this shop in Jerusalem which specializes in it:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._District.html
The AA version was very moist/honey-forward, probably why it was my favorite. As for knafeh, I've had it before but I'm less of a fan of the cheese component, which is why I like baklava so much.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
The AA version was very moist/honey-forward, probably why it was my favorite. As for knafeh, I've had it before but I'm less of a fan of the cheese component, which is why I like baklava so much.
OT - a nice chalky goat cheese would be great with the honey! Try a small dab, if available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.