Wiki Posts
Search

Uber/Lyft vs car rental at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Uber/Lyft vs car rental at DFW

I have a 3-day trip to DFW later this month. I have a number of locations to visit in a short period of time, all within 10 miles of DFW. I am not very eager on renting a car (jetleg, not familiar with the area), so I am considering moving around using Uber and/or Lyft.
Could some one please advise on typical waiting times for Uber/Lyft (Irving, Euless)?
Any problem with really short rides (e.g. 1.2 miles but walking is an option as I would need to cross an Interstate highway by foot)?
Anything else I should consider?
Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Short rides will usually mean that driver after driver (Lyft, Uber, etc) declines to pick you up, unless you get lucky.
(Taxi drivers will not be happy to have you either as they have to queue up to get any ride from the airport area.)

There are "safe" sidewalks to cross the freeways in the Irving and Euless areas, but I would recommend getting a rental car and just driving carefully.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I use Uber in the DFW area on a regular basis, including rides from and to the airport, as well as other cities/towns in the area. I've never had a problem with short rides, and I don't think I've ever waited more than 10 minutes at the curb at the airport.

As one data point, I live in an urban residential neighborhood in Fort Worth, and commute to downtown, almost exactly a three mile drive. The wait to be picked up is usually 3-5 minutes, and I've never had a driver seem upset about the short ride, much less say anything. You'll be perfectly okay using Uber to get around here.
aztimm and AVSA like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.