Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

transferring between IAH terminals with ample luggage

transferring between IAH terminals with ample luggage

Old Jun 17, 18, 6:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Gold Elite
Posts: 49
transferring between IAH terminals with ample luggage

At IAH, I claim my bags from UA in Terminal C and then have to recheck with SQ in Terminal D. (I have plenty of time between flights.) The issue is that I just found out by calling IAH airport info that no luggage carts are allowed on the landside subway connecting terminals. I definitely need a cart for getting my bags and me to Terminal D. What do you suggest? Is it possible to walk the distance, pushing the cart? How far is it? And can I opt for a baggage handler to do it all for me, for a suitable tip?
balaram is offline  
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 2,209
One PNR? Then your luggage should be checked through to final destination.

Separate tickets, you should be able to interline and have bags checked to final destination. Both airlines are part of *A.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:35 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Gold Elite
Posts: 49
Thank you for your quick response. Different PNR. Need the terminal info in case interline between UA and SQ is refused, as can happen these days. As detailed, what to do, to get my ample luggage and me from baggage claim at Terminal C to recheck at Terminal D, since no luggage carts allowed on the airport subway.
balaram is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 4:25 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,258
Originally Posted by balaram View Post

As detailed, what to do, to get my ample luggage and me from baggage claim at Terminal C to recheck at Terminal D, since no luggage carts allowed on the airport subway.
Well, it's *A, so I second trying to interline even on separate tickets.

But, if you indeed have ample time, there is a very wide walkway right next to Subway, which does not go all that much faster than a pedestrian.
EmailKid is online now  
Old Jun 18, 18, 5:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,181
You can definitely push a cart in the subway tunnel from C to D; there is a wide walkway in-between the tram tracks that plenty of pedestrians, joggers, and other cart pushers use. The pre-security subway is one level below baggage claim and their are elevators.

As a completely unrelated side rant...I have never understood why HAS does not post more colour, lights, or artwork in the subway. They do a good job with art throughout the terminal and in the elevated train stations. Put up some kid's artwork from MD Anderson or NASA shots or something. Rant off/ ;-)
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 5:47 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,258
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
You can definitely push a cart in the subway tunnel from C to D; there is a wide walkway in-between the tram tracks that plenty of pedestrians, joggers, and other cart pushers use. The pre-security subway is one level below baggage claim and their are elevators.

As a completely unrelated side rant...I have never understood why HAS does not post more colour, lights, or artwork in the subway. They do a good job with art throughout the terminal and in the elevated train stations. Put up some kid's artwork from MD Anderson or NASA shots or something. Rant off/ ;-)
Um, isn't the track "inside" and walkways on the outside? Or is it that it's been so long since IAH was my originating airport that I don't recall correctly

I love that thing, but now when I connect usually don't have time or don't want to hassle with security

As to the artwork ..... the place is deserted most of the time, probably why they don't bother
EmailKid is online now  
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:04 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Um, isn't the track "inside" and walkways on the outside? Or is it that it's been so long since IAH was my originating airport that I don't recall correctly

I love that thing, but now when I connect usually don't have time or don't want to hassle with security

As to the artwork ..... the place is deserted most of the time, probably why they don't bother
I am down there fairly often now'lately and it is actually fairly busy, especially with the int'l arrivals and the need to get over to A with the likes of Spirit. My last few trips, mainly to get to parking garages have been in full trams (also a lot of airport/airline employees also). YMMV of course.

The tracks are on the outside against the walls, basically a really long skinny oval with the walkway in-between which is I'd guess 18-20 feet wide at least.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:50 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,258
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
I am down there fairly often now'lately and it is actually fairly busy, especially with the int'l arrivals and the need to get over to A with the likes of Spirit. My last few trips, mainly to get to parking garages have been in full trams (also a lot of airport/airline employees also). YMMV of course.

The tracks are on the outside against the walls, basically a really long skinny oval with the walkway in-between which is I'd guess 18-20 feet wide at least.
Last time I was there, I was the only one, and I walked.

Now as for Int'l pax, methinks at least the ones from SQ are not headed for NK, but AS
EmailKid is online now  
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:44 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Last time I was there, I was the only one, and I walked.

Now as for Int'l pax, methinks at least the ones from SQ are not headed for NK, but AS
Probably, there has just been an uptick in transfers the last couple of years with increases in int'l ops by the likes of NK. I've done and seen the BA to AA ride as well. I did do a midnight run to get my vehicle in A from C a couple of weeks ago and it was dead, save for some TSA staff so timing is also a factor. But I usually only head down there once a week, sometimes twice. The IAH staff would know better; there used to be some on the forum.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 11:40 am
  #10  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,963
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
I've done and seen the BA to AA ride as well.
I did the BA to AA ride a few years ago. For some reason I couldn't do mobile check-in, so I couldn't re-clear security after immigration. So I headed downstairs and used the subway thing to head over to AA.

Years ago (back in 1999 or 2000) I think I used it, back when America West and Continental were partners. HP to PHX was either delayed or cxl and they sent me over to CO, and they directed me to that underground thing. It seemed convenient back then.


As to getting between terminals with luggage/luggage cart. I don't see it being any issue. Especially if you have plenty of time.
aztimm is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 11:50 am
  #11  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,258
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
I did the BA to AA ride a few years ago. For some reason I couldn't do mobile check-in, so I couldn't re-clear security after immigration. So I headed downstairs and used the subway thing to head over to AA.

Years ago (back in 1999 or 2000) I think I used it, back when America West and Continental were partners. HP to PHX was either delayed or cxl and they sent me over to CO, and they directed me to that underground thing. It seemed convenient back then.
Pretty sure SkyWay only went to term B back in 2000. But don't recall when they built the extension. Do remember having to reclear security to go to the other side of A so I could go to President's Club using my employer paid membership and then fly US to west coast crediting to UA (UA was WAAAAAAY expensive on my routes, but I wanted the SWUs).
aztimm likes this.
EmailKid is online now  
Old Sep 25, 18, 11:50 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
IAH 2 ladies, 2 term A&C, meet up Term D for SQ flight

First of all, this is my first post and I just can't figure out how to start a new question. Apologies. Maybe someone can direct me for the next time...

We are two kinda senior ladies meeting up in IAH for a vacation in Greece, via MAN. First lady is novice traveler arriving Terminal A 1:43 pm (AA no checked bag), second lady, (me) is experienced traveler but with foot problems arriving Terminal C 3:16 pm (UA with checked bag). We have to meet up to catch SQ51 to MAN at 7:10 pm from Terminal D. I have Priority Pass use as well as United Club passes. My friend is arriving first so where would be the easiest place to have my friend wait for me since I will probably have to leave secure area to fetch my bag then re-check at Singapore departure and go through security again. I also have TSA pre-check. (Friend does not) I read somewhere that since United and Singapore are both Star Alliance, maybe I can check my bag all the way through from domestic (SNA) to international (MAN). Don't know if I want to take that risk using different airlines for baggage transfer.

Even though I have traveled a lot, as I have gotten older I do tend to get a bit anxious in huge airports and have had cart assistance before. I'm not proud;} Is it easy to request or flag down a cart if needed? Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any suggestions! And apologies if I am in wrong area to post.
scpclaura is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 8:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by scpclaura View Post
First of all, this is my first post and I just can't figure out how to start a new question. Apologies. Maybe someone can direct me for the next time...

We are two kinda senior ladies meeting up in IAH for a vacation in Greece, via MAN. First lady is novice traveler arriving Terminal A 1:43 pm (AA no checked bag), second lady, (me) is experienced traveler but with foot problems arriving Terminal C 3:16 pm (UA with checked bag). We have to meet up to catch SQ51 to MAN at 7:10 pm from Terminal D. I have Priority Pass use as well as United Club passes. My friend is arriving first so where would be the easiest place to have my friend wait for me since I will probably have to leave secure area to fetch my bag then re-check at Singapore departure and go through security again. I also have TSA pre-check. (Friend does not) I read somewhere that since United and Singapore are both Star Alliance, maybe I can check my bag all the way through from domestic (SNA) to international (MAN). Don't know if I want to take that risk using different airlines for baggage transfer.

Even though I have traveled a lot, as I have gotten older I do tend to get a bit anxious in huge airports and have had cart assistance before. I'm not proud;} Is it easy to request or flag down a cart if needed? Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any suggestions! And apologies if I am in wrong area to post.
In theory UA can check your bag through to MAN on SQ. If not the baggage claim will be in C (you could also arrive in E on UA if mainline, but would need to walk to C baggage claim if you do not check it through). There at term. C there is a pre-check entry point you can reenter and then walk to D (you mention foot problems)... You could take the elevated train to D from C post security, but in the end the level of walking would be similar and there are some moving walkways in D to help you walking. Your friend will have to take the elevated train from A to D and D would be the easiest place to have her meet you.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread