Old Apr 17, 18, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
Question about JAL/AA Connecting Issues at DFW

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to use JAL to fly between CGK-ATL with the following route:
CGK-NRT JL726 21:25 - 6:35(+1d)
NRT-DFW JL12 11:50(+1d) - 08:05(+1d)
DFW-ATL AA1309 10:25(+1d) - 13:37(+1d) or AA1630 12:55(+1d) - 16:09(+1d)
I don't have a green card thus I will need to follow the long queue at the immigration at DFW. As a result, I don't think the layover time at DFW will be enough if I want to take AA1309 flight to ATL. Nevertheless, connecting with AA1309 flight is $150 cheaper on Kayak. Do you know if I can book that particular flight, then call JAL or AA and have them change the flight to a later schedule due to this reason without any additional fee? Or, what will happen if I still take this schedule and not able to make it to the connecting AA1309 flight? Will I be rebooked to the next available schedule for free or do I need to pay any additional fee?

Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA CK
If you're eligible for APC kiosk usage, I wouldn't worry about such a connection. And even without, there's a chance you'll make it unless there are unforeseen circumstances at CPB. As a rule of courtesy, shall you be stuck in immigration (long queues, secondary screening), AA will do the necessary and get you to your final destination at the next best flight out. However, no compensation or anything similar can be expected.
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm not eligible and I will be flying with my wife, so the savings of getting this flight from Kayak is roughly 2x$170 = $340 which is pretty substantial I don't expect any compensation as our original plan was to take AA1630 but the price over on JAL website has increased. So do you think I can get away with booking this schedule? Shall I call them and ask them to change my flight to a later schedule or should I just take the chance and let AA change it to the next best schedule if we don't make it that day (which could be even a later flight than I expect to be)? The flight will be on Jan 3rd, 2019 so I think there's a good chance that DFW-ATL flight maybe somewhat full...

Thanks for your reply tho!
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA
2.20 should be plenty of time to clear immigration and security at DFW. That being said, the chances of a schedule change on the DFW-ATL flight between now and then are high. I would book the cheaper flight and then wait for a schedule change to see if you can get a longer connection, if it would make you feel more comfortable. If a schedule change never happens, you should still be fine with that original flight schedule and even if you somehow miss the onward flight due to a customs delay, AA will recommodate you on a later flight.
Old Apr 19, 18, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I'm not sure why you are so concerned about this. If you are on one continuous ticket, you'll just be put on the next flight to ATL if you miss the one you're schedule to take.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:29 am
Original Poster

It is on a continuous ticket, but I usually want to play it safe and give it at least 3-4 hours since I am neither a citizen nor a PR and will need to follow the long immigration line & customs clearance. Problem is I receive conflicting information about this, that's why I wanted to ask with seasoned travelers like you guys. So basically if I buy a continuous ticket (CGK-ATL with JAL), AA will re-accommodate me to their next available flight if I miss the original flight due to immigration clearance, etc, right?
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Next available flight with space for two. The upside is that there are 5 daily flights from DFW to ATL on AA and you're connecting onto the earlier one so you'll have a high potential but doesn't necessarily mean you'll be on the next flight.
Old Apr 19, 18, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, correct. You mustnít fret, youíll be ok.
Old Apr 19, 18, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

One last question that I didn't include earlier. Will the re-accommodation be free or will I be charged for missing the flight and rebooking? A friend of mine told me that there are no immigration included in the contract of carriage, so am I at the mercy of an agent in that case?
Old Apr 19, 18, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA
Reaccommodation will be at no extra charge.
Old Apr 23, 18, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be put in the next available seat at no charge. You won't get a hotel room, though.
Old Apr 29, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I find DFW immigration is not too bad, and the airport itself is very efficient for connections. On a single ticket I would have no problems with a 2h20 connection. I have done such connections in the past (I do not have a Green Card, Global Entry, or so on though I am ESTA-eligible so I can use the kiosks). Use the Airtrain to get from to your next flight after you clear Immigration, Customs and security screening, don't try to walk across the airport on a tight connection (in case you were tempted to do so).

If you do miss the connection then AA will rebook you, they are very efficient about it and if necessary may well put you on another carrier. I am willing to rely on AA rebooking me successfully within a few hours on a route with 5 flights each day (and several other possible routings via other airports).
aztimm likes this.

Search this Thread