Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

toll from 45 to IAH rental car center on Beltway 8?

Old May 8, 18, 5:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I took a roundabout way to go from the IAH rental car center today since I thought there would be a toll on Beltway 8 to go from John F. Kennedy Blvd. to I-45. Is that true? Or is there no toll on that section since you'd be going to IAH?

I return the car Thursday & am trying to figure out if I need to skip Beltway 8 from I-45 or take some surface street (like Aldine Bender Road) over to the rental car center on John F. Kennedy Blvd....

What's the best way without a toll?
Old May 8, 18, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There's no toll on 8 between 45 and JFK.
Old May 8, 18, 5:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks mduell
Old May 8, 18, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
In Google Maps you can choose no tolls and it will give you the best toll-free route, BW8 or otherwise.
Old May 8, 18, 7:40 pm

There's no toll between I-59 and I-45 on the Sam Houston Tollway. Depending on where you are, 59 is often faster. Since it seems you want to save $, do not fill up at the Shell-For-Suckers on JFK at Greens. U-turn at JFK and Greens to the Exxon at the same intersection (I think IAH planted bushes in the median to hide it). Shell consistently gouges an extra 50-60 cents/gallon since they are on the rental center-bound side of JFK. From the Exxon, it's less than a quarter mile south on JFK to an easy U-turn to head back north to rental car return, or exit onto Greens and turn left onto JFK.
aztimm and FlyingHoustonian like this.
Old May 13, 18, 10:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
There's no toll between I-59 and I-45 on the Sam Houston Tollway. Depending on where you are, 59 is often faster. Since it seems you want to save $, do not fill up at the Shell-For-Suckers on JFK at Greens. U-turn at JFK and Greens to the Exxon at the same intersection (I think IAH planted bushes in the median to hide it). Shell consistently gouges an extra 50-60 cents/gallon since they are on the rental center-bound side of JFK. From the Exxon, it's less than a quarter mile south on JFK to an easy U-turn to head back north to rental car return, or exit onto Greens and turn left onto JFK.
This is great advice. The only thing I can add is that the gas station competition is rife if you take the airport parkway from 59. There are a bunch of gas stations within the first mile or so once you get off 59.
aztimm likes this.

Search this Thread