Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Guide to layovers at DFW

DFW Flight Connections

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

DFW Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I read the DART isnt at all safe to ride. I'll be visiting in December and dont want to get stuck in endless traffic using Uber as I land at 8AM. Then its a 5 min walk to Fairmont from Akard. Am I crazy or should I just Uber it? (I'm Aussie so tipping isn't at all a thing here - do you tip Ubers there?)
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
I read the DART isnt at all safe to ride.
IMHO not anymore safe or any less safe than life in general in Dallas. As for Uber, my understanding that tipping is expected and if you don't tip it may reflect on your Uber score. Of course always take DART to and from the airport.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
DART is not unsafe. Some of the outlying suburban stations might be less safe, but personally, I would not have any problems going anywhere on DART. Downtown Dallas is not unsafe. The DART route between DFW and downtown Dallas runs through some of the richer neighborhoods, so no safety problems there either.

Keep the TRE schedule in mind. If you arrive at a time where you can reasonably catch TRE from DFW/CentrePort station (there's a shuttle to the station from Terminal B) it's faster than DART and is still only a 5 minute walk away from the Fairmont if you get off at Victory station.

DFW is about 30km from your hotel.

Last edited by diburning; Nov 15, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thanks for your comments and reassuring me about the DART.
It's just that I have read many comments by locals that DART's are full of vagrants, drug takers and people begging for money. I didn't want to be a vulnerable tourist with a suitcase. That said I guess I'll also be OK wheeling my bag from Akard the few minutes to the Fairmont?

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Nov 17, 2023 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
That said I'm guess I'll also be OK wheeling my bag from Akard the few minutes to the Fairmont?
Yes, you'll be fine downtown.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by diburning
DART is not unsafe. Some of the outlying suburban stations might be less safe, but personally, I would not have any problems going anywhere on DART. Downtown Dallas is not unsafe. The DART route between DFW and downtown Dallas runs through some of the richer neighborhoods, so no safety problems there either.

Keep the TRE schedule in mind. If you arrive at a time where you can reasonably catch TRE from DFW/CentrePort station (there's a shuttle to the station from Terminal B) it's faster than DART and is still only a 5 minute walk away from the Fairmont if you get off at Victory station.

DFW is about 30km from your hotel.
Not sure if you're thinking of a different station or what, but the Fairmont is nowhere near a 5 minute walk from the Victory Station.

It's 20+ minutes, especially with a suitcase.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
You're right, I thought that I could make it in 5 minutes, but Google disagrees with me too (giving a 22 minute walking time estimate).
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:11 am

You obviously want Akard Station

Victory Station is a bit out of the way to the Fairmont. Almost five minutes just to walk through the parking lot (that serves AA Arena, not DART) and past AA Arena. Yes, I've walked uphill through the parking lot many times to get to Katy Trail (back when I worked in Dallas and had cheap employer subsidized monthly DART pass).
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Hello, can any recent (non-US passport) travellers help me estimate how long it will take from plane to the car hire centre? Arriving on a BA flight next week mid-afternoon. I understand US immigration can be lengthy for non-citizens.
I know this is like a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, but I need to estimate the time at DFW in order to then estimate when I will arrive at my destination from the car hire centre.

As always, may thanks in advance for any useful information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.