AUSTIN!

Old Jul 13, 14, 10:51 am
Original Poster

AUSTIN!

My daughter will be attending St Edward's University in Austin, so need to learn all the ins & outs for visiting (we are from MN); are there any DOWNTOWN hotels offering free shuttle service to/from the airport? We can get around with public transportation if we can get DT; want to be near Congress Av. Would greatly appreciate any/all recommendations for traveling on a tight budget.... (where to eat, etc...)
Thank you so much!
Old Jul 13, 14, 12:10 pm

There's a public bus from the airport to downtown: http://www.capmetro.org/airport/
Old Jul 13, 14, 2:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Hotels in Austin downtown are pretty expensive compared to those outside the city. If you're looking to save money, you may be better off renting a car and staying in South Austin or Roundrock.
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
If you have any Hilton Hhonors points, there are a couple of their brands between the airport and downtown that are less clostly than downtown hotels, but you will need a car. There's a Hampton Inn and a Homewood Suites on Governor's Row. From there it's only about 6 or 7 minutes to the Congress Avenue offramp. Plenty of places to eat on So. Congress. Magnolia Cafe is fun...food is just ordinary, but the coffee is good and they serve breakfast all day.

Then, when you have time, drive on over to Whole Foods at 525 N. Lamar. It's a destination in itself. You can park under the store in the lot.
Old Jul 16, 14, 4:21 pm

I would rent a car and take a drive through the hill country. Spend a day on the River Walk in San Antonio. I would not rely on public transporation, and with cheap rental cars on weekends you most likely break even with bus fares.

Search this Thread