Wiki Posts
Search

Those Expensive United Hub Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Angry Those Expensive United Hub Airports

IAH under the new UA is the third most expensive airport in the US. Drive 2-3 hours to Austin/San Antonio, fly back through Houston and save $500.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/airfares.../table_10.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...ir-travel.html

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5787588/
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
IAH has always been spendy (as have fortress hubs of any airline). According to the DOT table, in real dollars fares are down at IAH from both 2000-2012 and 2011-2012.

2013 may well be different, if that's your point.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tw747
Drive 2-3 hours to Austin/San Antonio, fly back through Houston and save $500.
People have been doing that (or variations of it) since the early 80s.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Same thing in CLE. I fly from Akron and save as much as 50%. Schedule is pretty limited, only 3 flights a day all thru ORD... but for the money I save, I make it work!

PIT and CMH used to offer even bigger savings, but it is a 2 hour drive for me, as apposed to 25 minutes to CLE. Lately PIT and CMH haven't had much of a savings over CLE.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like a plan. Drive the 3 hours, save $. Not like it's a new thing.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:09 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Well, what did you expect? Prices to go down and an airline to try to make *less* money after improving network and hub competitive position?

This is like marveling that the sun comes up daily.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
To LHR last year, AUS/LHR, an hour less to drive than IAH for me, was several hundred bucks cheaper than IAH/LHR, same flight#, but a change of planes. Recently, several fares, DFW/IAH/__, were cheaper than the flights originating at IAH. Of course, I have found the same on AA, an IAH/DFW/_ in Europe, cheaper than a DFW origination.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bwi has been the least expensive of the 3 (IAD,DCA) airports for years. since metro arrived at dca, it is considerably more expensive than the other two. i understood that dal is quite a bit cheaper than dfw, which is more or less controlled by AA, and to my mind, an evil place to fly.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by slawecki
bwi has been the least expensive of the 3 (IAD,DCA) airports for years. since metro arrived at dca, it is considerably more expensive than the other two. i understood that dal is quite a bit cheaper than dfw, which is more or less controlled by AA, and to my mind, an evil place to fly.
BWI is also the cheaper option for those from Philly and Harrisburg area.

Part of the reason from long ago was Southwest cheaper flight options and it wasnt a hub city.

for years I lived within a hr-75 min drive of BWI so I always did price comparisons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.