Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin restaurant recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Austin restaurant recommendation

I am throwing a lunch in Austin as part of a wedding celebration. I don't live there and would love some suggestions. I would like an upscale but not formal restaurant for 6-8 women in their 30's in the Downtown or South Lamar/South Congress area. Something newer where they may not have been yet would be ideal. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Great city, and a good choice. Lots of good options for sure.

Upscale, not formal, and newer? I'd recommend the Moonshine Bar & Grill off of Red River & 3rd. Been there for maybe three or four years, its certainly "hip" and fits well into the Austin lifestyle, it's not formal but it's also not Applebees.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Moonshine is a decent option for brunch IMO and if you like comfort food, their menu is unique for sure. Uchi is an excellent sushi place and Taverna is a good Italian place on 2nd Street. There are many other options but your criteria doesn't really narrow the search down! Most of the restaurants downtown below 6th are upscale and South Congress is a different animal all together. It just depends on how much you want to spend and what cuisine everyone wants.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Moonshine is a decent option for brunch IMO and if you like comfort food, their menu is unique for sure. Uchi is an excellent sushi place and Taverna is a good Italian place on 2nd Street. There are many other options but your criteria doesn't really narrow the search down! Most of the restaurants downtown below 6th are upscale and South Congress is a different animal all together. It just depends on how much you want to spend and what cuisine everyone wants.
I looked at the website and realized I actually had lunch at Moonshine last time I was in Austin.

There isn't a budget- it is lunch for 6 women so even at the most expensive place it won't be too much.
I have been to Uchi and I see it as more of a dinner place because it is dark.
I am throwing the luncheon and don't know most of the women so I'm not asking everyone about cuisine. I am open to most things. I would prefer something not too heavy ( no BBQ) in a pretty setting.
What do you think of Second Bar and Kitchen, La Condesa or Trio?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Just from personal experience La Condesa was not very good. Only good things to say about Second and Trio, for atmosphere go with Trio. Ask for a table on the patio and you guys should have a great time with a good view.

Definitely explore South Congress though, there are several restaurants with good food and an even better atmosphere. The carrot cake french toast at South Congress Cafe is a must have!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
I second Moonshine, I love their food.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to check with Trio first. The outdoor space sounds ideal and I'm staying at the Four Seasons so it will be very convenient.
South Congress Cafe might be perfect for a morning after the wedding brunch.

I have to say I didn't care for Moonshine Cafe, but it's not really my type of food.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
If you want something a little different, Russian House is a good choice: http://russianhouseofaustin.com/
Old May 10, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by cakegirl
What do you think of Second Bar and Kitchen, La Condesa or Trio?
One of the best meals I've ever had in Austin was at Second, amazing food and great ambience. I'd highly recommend it for the kind of occasion you describe. I'm also a big fan of La Condesa and again they have great food but I'd say the atmosphere was a bit more laid back and less "special". I haven't been to Trio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.