Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Hotels at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Recommended Hotels at DFW

Mods: Please can you give this a customary run in this forum before moving to the appropriate forum?

I am planning my big trip for 2012, planning to fly into DFW (CW, of course) for a 2 week Texan adventure

I am stumped as to which hotel to pick to stay for one night on arrival - I will have drunk far too much during the CW day flight to even contemplate driving to a downtown hotel

Do any of the BAEC FTers have any recommendations as to a good hotel (not necessarily 5*, but 4* would be more than acceptable)? Ideally would have a pool for relaxing, be close to Terminal D and close to the car rental area (in order for me to pick up my car the next morning). Oh and a shuttle from Terminal D to aforementioned hotel is a must.

If this comes across as naive, since DFW and the surrounding area is so huge, I apologise for not doing more detailed research.

Any recommendations truly welcome, or any tips for having a great holiday in Texas would be much appreciated ^

Edit: I am a PC Plat if that helps, and a Hilton mid-teir pleb if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Grand Hyatt DFW, is right in DFW Terminal D ( ie you can walk to the hotel without leaving the terminal building) the rooms are very good and it has a roof top pool.

I think it has a programme to allow guests to clear security and access airside shopping and dining in Terminal D.

There is a Hyatt Regency close to Terminal C.

There is a Hilton DFW lakes executive conference centre also;

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...Texas/index.do

I have stayed there and it is a good hotel also.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If the desire is to make it the easiest on you after coming off your TATL flight, definitely the Grand Hyatt in terminal D. They have a pretty good bar btw.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you both TBS and wrp96! ^

Both the Hyatts seem like the best options for ease of accessing from the terminals. The other hotels seem (on the map) quite a distance from the terminals, compared for example from the likes of LHR/MAN etc.

How easy is it to access the car rental station from each of these hotels?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

From here,

http://www.dfwairport.com/rac/index.php

it looks like DFW has a dedicated car rental facility for all companies with a shuttle bus leaving every 5 mins with a 10min journey time.
I'm not sure if the Grand Hyatt has a courtesy bus that could take you there also.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

first, whatsa CW? should i use it to impress?

dfw car rental is about 5 miles south of the terminal clump. the busses run about every 10 min during working hrs. about every 20+ min in way off hours.

most of the hotels are north of the airport. the sheraton and the weston are among the better. the sheraton supposedly the better. i have stayed at both. get a room on the east side, away from the airport. both serve a decent buffet. both offer transfer service to the airport. must call, as the shuttle do not cruise the airport(everyone in dallas, and probably texas drives)

i quit staying in the dfw 4+*'s as the crummy 2*'s were just fine. clean, quiet, and large. all seem to have pool. none are heated, so no fun most of the year.don't know about hilton.

i have never seen a hotel bus at the car rental site. to get a car rental from the airport, maybe you can call one of the off site rentals and get a pickup.

there is also a shuttle bus from the lesser hotels to airport. it runs about every 30-45, maybe 60 min. the std way to get transport from them to airport in am is to go to breakfast and ask when is next shuttle. someone will offer to transport you.

"The other hotels seem (on the map) quite a distance from the terminals, compared for example from the likes of LHR/MAN etc." i think the sheraton heathrow is not close to lhr in time.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Thank you both TBS and wrp96! ^

Both the Hyatts seem like the best options for ease of accessing from the terminals. The other hotels seem (on the map) quite a distance from the terminals, compared for example from the likes of LHR/MAN etc.

How easy is it to access the car rental station from each of these hotels?
From the Grand Hyatt, you go down the escalators to the baggage claim area for Terminal D and go outside for the rental car shuttles. Very easy.

Note with the Hyatt you actually have to wait on a shuttle to get there as it is at Term C but not inside of it like the Grand Hyatt is in Terminal D.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
first, whatsa CW? should i use it to impress?
Hi,

CW is an abbreviation for Club World ( this post was originally in British Airways forum) -British Airways's Business class cabin for long haul flights ( with AVOD fully flat beds etc)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
In recent years, we've used the Holiday inn Express, Grapevine, just outside the North Entrance to DFW (currently cluttered with road construction). Well managed, a decent breakfast, courteous staff, shuttle runs "on call" (and I've been hauled both too and from the car rental terminal). We commonly stay a night either before or after trips in exchange for leaving our car while abroad (No help to you!), and find this modest caravansarai comfortable and accommodating.

The Grand Hyatt seems a bit expensive, but may be the most convenient for you, with easy access to the shuttle bus to the rental terminal. My decision would be based on arrival time and immediate plans thereafter.

Welcome to Texas, a very big place in which distances may seem far, but driving times more manageable than expected.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
grand hyatt dfw

I thoroughly recommend this hotel, as stated right in TD, so accessible to other terminals via sky train if not entering through TD.

The rooms have recently been refurnished, very green friendly and large. The bathroom is large with both bath and separate shower.

I perfer to stay in rooms with runway views.

Staff are very welcoming and helpful.

If someone is picking you up, you can obtain a free card for the toll exit.

There seems to be room price changes due to the seasons.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA,UA,BA,DL,CO
Hyatt property options

Grand Hyatt is #1 hotel in Dallas according to Trip Advisor, and I agree. Has a rooftop pool, steam rooms and best restaurant in DFW. ^
Hyatt has a larger outdoor pool, lower prices, and can be accessed on foot. Leave Terminal C on ticketing level, enter and cross parking lot. Follow posted signs to Hyatt. You'll cross over the roadway on a glass enclosed footbridge to the hotel.
If the airport properties are too pricey, the Hyatt Place Las Colinas is less; it is the only off site property in the Hyatt chain with a free airport shuttle. They run on demand and on a schedule; many crews stay here. Taxi will run you a minimum of $40 to virtually any hotel in the area.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ClarityE
Grand Hyatt is #1 hotel in Dallas according to Trip Advisor, and I agree. Has a rooftop pool, steam rooms and best restaurant in DFW. ^
Hyatt has a larger outdoor pool, lower prices, and can be accessed on foot.
Are you saying the Hyatt Regency has a larger pool than the Grand Hyatt? Earlier today I called both hotels to ask about their pool lengths; the Hyatt Regency operator told me it was too small for laps (even though their web site says it is a lap pool) while the Grand Hyatt operator told me there pool was quite large. Were they misinformed? I've not stayed at either but am looking for a convenient place to overnight with hopefully a pool sufficient for laps.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you saying the Hyatt Regency has a larger pool than the Grand Hyatt? Earlier today I called both hotels to ask about their pool lengths; the Hyatt Regency operator told me it was too small for laps (even though their web site says it is a lap pool) while the Grand Hyatt operator told me there pool was quite large. Were they misinformed? I've not stayed at either but am looking for a convenient place to overnight with hopefully a pool sufficient for laps.
As current-build hotel pools go I'd say they are both size medium at most. As I recall neither had a dedicated lap lane. Either would work for laps if nobody is using it for a play pool. A few kids splashing around and you can forget laps either place. The Grand Hyatt is on the roof and more subject to wind, but is the more upscale hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:50 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by ClarityE
Hyatt has a larger outdoor pool, lower prices, and can be accessed on foot. Leave Terminal C on ticketing level, enter and cross parking lot. Follow posted signs to Hyatt. You'll cross over the roadway on a glass enclosed footbridge to the hotel.
If the airport properties are too pricey, the Hyatt Place Las Colinas is less; it is the only off site property in the Hyatt chain with a free airport shuttle. They run on demand and on a schedule; many crews stay here. Taxi will run you a minimum of $40 to virtually any hotel in the area.
any recent updates to the Hyatt place las Colinas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.