Wiki Posts
Search

Some Dallas real estate questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
I am looking at a house built in '86 that does not have a sprinkler system, considering how bad foundation problems can be, is it worth going for this?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilesMonster

Also, as a former Dallas resident, I'd steer clear of the south suburban area. I'd be looking at the "M Streets," Lakewood, and (select areas of the) Lake Highlands neighborhoods of east Dallas from a location, location, location perspective. From a school district perspective, you'd be in Dallas. The kids would have to go to private schools.
May i know what you mean by "M Streets"?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by UA Fan
May i know what you mean by "M Streets"?
The "M Streets" is a neighborhood - it should be familiar to any reputable Realtor you work with. They are the streets (mostly beginning with "M") that are east of I-75 north of Knox/Henderson, south of Mockingbird, that surround the Greenville Avenue corridor. This has been a very desirable neighborhood, particularly since the mid-90s when lots of young professionals started buying these houses as their occupants aged/died and refurbishing them.

The Fort Worth equiv of the "M Streets" is Arlington Heights although we are about a decade behind the curve on the refurbishment.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am looking at a house built in '86 that does not have a sprinkler system, considering how bad foundation problems can be, is it worth going for this?
Would buying a house that has always been a rental property, be a risky one? especially something that does not have a sprinkler system? I'm thinking that the tenant would not have taken good care of the property. This house also has a lot of updates done to it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
When you mention "sprinkler system", I gather you're referring to the outside variety. Yes, they are more cosmetic than hoses, etc., but can become troublesome (like children) as they age. Maintenance-intensive may describe some well. Look at it this way....Come July, a brown yard needs less mowing! A couple of tractor tires converted to flower planters, old car batteries edging the flower bed, and an occupied double gunrack in the back of your pickup, and the neighbors won't complain.

Previously rented or owner-occupied? Well, owners and their families are generally less destructive than your average renter, but updates and cosmetics by the owner can remedy a lot of shortcomings.

Keys? A good inspector; HVAC (age, condition); Roof; Plumbing, inc. HWH; Electrical, inc. adequate circuits; insulation (attic/walls); Windows and doors, operating hardware and exfiltration/infiltration, Foundation condition? Place tennis ball on floor inside front door. If it rolls to back corner of house, selective subsidence has occurred. If dining room has 6" step in middle of room, situation worse. Consult Starwood Lurker for remedies or suicide pills.

If it looks and feels comfortable and the price matches comparables close by, you only live once, so go for ti.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMOliver
When you mention "sprinkler system", I gather you're referring to the outside variety. Yes, they are more cosmetic than hoses, etc., but can become troublesome (like children) as they age. Maintenance-intensive may describe some well. Look at it this way....Come July, a brown yard needs less mowing! A couple of tractor tires converted to flower planters, old car batteries edging the flower bed, and an occupied double gunrack in the back of your pickup, and the neighbors won't complain.

Previously rented or owner-occupied? Well, owners and their families are generally less destructive than your average renter, but updates and cosmetics by the owner can remedy a lot of shortcomings.

Keys? A good inspector; HVAC (age, condition); Roof; Plumbing, inc. HWH; Electrical, inc. adequate circuits; insulation (attic/walls); Windows and doors, operating hardware and exfiltration/infiltration, Foundation condition? Place tennis ball on floor inside front door. If it rolls to back corner of house, selective subsidence has occurred. If dining room has 6" step in middle of room, situation worse. Consult Starwood Lurker for remedies or suicide pills.

If it looks and feels comfortable and the price matches comparables close by, you only live once, so go for ti.
The reason I was looking for sprinkler system is b/c foundation problems are less for houses that have and use them.

May I know what you mean by the bolded portion?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

before establishing permanence, i would do a couple driving practice runs from the chosen site to the place of employment.

although not on a par with washington dc, many of the traffic routes get really bogged down during rush hours.

also, remember to budget a couple hundred dollars a month for texas tollways expenses. they are now more expensive than the italian autoroutes.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
before establishing permanence, i would do a couple driving practice runs from the chosen site to the place of employment.

although not on a par with washington dc, many of the traffic routes get really bogged down during rush hours.

also, remember to budget a couple hundred dollars a month for texas tollways expenses. they are now more expensive than the italian autoroutes.
I currently live very close to the area I am buying a house. My route does not use toll routes, but is it really couple hundred a month?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I currently live very close to the area I am buying a house. My route does not use toll routes, but is it really couple hundred a month?
it seems to me that the toll roads are over a dime a mile. thousand miles a month in a place as spread out as dallas is not hard to do. add another thousand for the wife, and that's a couple hundred.

http://www.ntta.org/NR/rdonlyres/72F...rices_PGBT.pdf

looks like $100 is a bit high if you have a toll tag. i did not realize the discount was so big.

i have a toll tag, have used it quite a bit, but never been charged, so i did not know what the toll tag rates were. i only see the money amounts on the booths.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:44 am

The reason I was looking for sprinkler system is b/c foundation problems are less for houses that have and use them.

May I know what you mean by the bolded portion?
That's a truly visible symptom of a cracked foundation.....

Will a sprinkler system help in preventing foundation problems? Not unless the sprinkleres are close enough to the house to actually maintain moisture content in the soil structure beneath the foundation 9and even then, theoretical solutions often don't work or turn out to be unnecessay. If a house has been there 10-20 years and displays no visible signs of foundation cracking/subsidence, I wouldn't worry. If concerned, I'd seek a reputable (BBB comfortable) foundation company to inspect the foundation.

The entire issue is simply not one to lose sleep over....
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
1. You don't know where your spouse will be working.
2. The south end of DFW is not as desirable as the north end.
3. Your job offer seems sub-optimal, which leads me to believe you are viewing this as a stepping-stone, rather than a long-term multi-year situation.

Just like uncertaintraveler, I'm saying this respectfully. A house can become an albatross very easily. Your situation doesn't appear to be "settled" enough to rush out and buy a house.
I agree with this fully. Also, my recommendation would be to rent an apartment for a few months, just to get the feel of the DFW market and get a better grip on your personal job situation. It's not fun to sink $200,000 into a property that doesn't meet your needs, doesn't produce income and doesn't subsequently sell, and then have to turn around and move elsewhere and not be able to afford a home that really suits you (because your money is all tied up in the other home). So, take it slow, is my advice.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am looking at one house that is in a good school zone but which had foundation problems but it looks like its been fixed. Once foundation problems occur and is fixed (they say there is a lifetime transferable warranty) is it very risky?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:23 pm

I am looking at one house that is in a good school zone but which had foundation problems but it looks like its been fixed. Once foundation problems occur and is fixed (they say there is a lifetime transferable warranty) is it very risky?
If I could locate (on the ground and in the phonebook, also) the company which issued the guarantee, I'd be comfortable with the transaction (barring one of those 6 inch stepups in the dining room).

Life is a crap shoot and you can't pass the dice.....
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are settling issues a major area of concern? I am interested in one house that has settling issues and sprinkler system.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

Are settling issues a major area of concern? I am interested in one house that has settling issues and sprinkler system.
I'm curious: Who else are you asking these questions to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.