Search

Need recommendation for Houston car service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Need recommendation for Houston car service

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Houston for three days, staying at the Four Seasons near the convention center (where I'll be for two of those days).

Is there a good Houston car service someone can suggest? The one used by the hotel charges a whopping $120 each way, which is absurd (comparing it to what I've paid in NYC). For that, I could rent a car, let it collect dust in the hotel ramp for three days, and come out about the same.

Not the most responsible option when you have to bill it back to the client.

Ideas...? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Are you only looking for the car service to provide airport pickup and delivery service, or do you need the car service throughout your Houston stay to provide transportation from one location to another during the day?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:25 am
Original Poster

@controller1: Just need airport>hotel and hotel>airport. Sorry not to clarify that earlier.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
For that type of service, you may want to go with a taxi. In NYC you can get Towncar service for equal to or less than a taxi from the airports to Manhattan, but the Towncar services in Houston will be more expensive than a taxi.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
For that type of service, you may want to go with a taxi. In NYC you can get Towncar service for equal to or less than a taxi from the airports to Manhattan, but the Towncar services in Houston will be more expensive than a taxi.
Thanks for the advice, controller. I'm constantly amazed at how different things can be from one market to the next....
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I was recommended to use A Ambassador Limousine (aambassador.com) for my wife's upcoming trip to IAH. ($75 for Town Car from IAH to Galleria) I can give a report on their performance after this weekend.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Back from Houston

Well, I ended up doing a mix of things. Used a taxi from IAH to the Four Seasons downtown ($45 plus tip), then grabbed a rental car for the last couple of days, when I wanted to get out into surrounding areas (rental rate + $28 parking per night, ouch).

In the end, turned out to be a fairly good, albeit pricey, balance. The only exception was the GPS system in the rental car that kept trying to send me the wrong direction down one way streets (and, at one point, actually showed me sitting in the middle of a lake, believe it or not...had to call Roadside Assistance to have them talk me back to dry land and a freeway after dark).

Theres no inexpensive way to traverse Houston. At least not that Ive found (yet).
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by PaperQueen
Well, I ended up doing a mix of things. Used a taxi from IAH to the Four Seasons downtown ($45 plus tip), then grabbed a rental car for the last couple of days, when I wanted to get out into surrounding areas (rental rate + $28 parking per night, ouch).

In the end, turned out to be a fairly good, albeit pricey, balance. The only exception was the GPS system in the rental car that kept trying to send me the wrong direction down one way streets (and, at one point, actually showed me sitting in the middle of a lake, believe it or not...had to call Roadside Assistance to have them talk me back to dry land and a freeway after dark).

Theres no inexpensive way to traverse Houston. At least not that Ive found (yet).
Not that you would have done this, but there is a direct bus service from the airport downtown. I think it's about 8ish blocks from the four seasons, but it runs every hour and it's $15 each way. If you show your Continental ticket/boarding pass then it's only $10 each way.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by wcalvert
Not that you would have done this, but there is a direct bus service from the airport downtown. I think it's about 8ish blocks from the four seasons, but it runs every hour and it's $15 each way. If you show your Continental ticket/boarding pass then it's only $10 each way.
yes indeed the bus is a cheaper option especially if staying downtown.
the airport express is non-stop (I believe). (airport-downtown-airport).

Car Services generally charge around 80$ one-way for airport to most downtown/galleria destinations. (plus tip).
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:32 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by wcalvert
true, and taxi service within the confines of DT is only 6$ flat rate.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.