Wiki Posts
Search

Skimlinks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I'm pretty sure that i/we had posted elsewhere we would.
That was in response to a post I made in ORP which was later than my response above.

I understand that somebody is out of the office, but we're now going on three weeks. There's nobody else on the technical side of all of Internet Brands who can answer these questions?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:30 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Recently I've noticed that often the forums now extend past the browser window, so that I have to scroll to read threads. Whenever this happens I see a long string of javascript code in someone's posting. Is this related to the skimlinks discussed here, or is my problem unique? I'm using firefox 3.53 on a Mac and a PC.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by aau
... I have to scroll to read threads. Whenever this happens I see a long string of javascript code in someone's posting. Is this related to the skimlinks discussed here,..?
As far as I know, it's not a skimlink issue. What you described had been happening before the "beta" implementation of skimlinks. This page carries the same problem but has no javascript code in any posts.

Last edited by lin821; Oct 14, 2009 at 4:05 pm Reason: adding an example
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by aau
Recently I've noticed that often the forums now extend past the browser window, so that I have to scroll to read threads. Whenever this happens I see a long string of javascript code in someone's posting. Is this related to the skimlinks discussed here, or is my problem unique? I'm using firefox 3.53 on a Mac and a PC.
I have exactly the same setup and problem. In Safari, the text dosn't extend past the window, but the ads don't display correctly (comparing the same page in both browsers).
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Is the IBB dude still on vacation?

Must be a great place to work, so much vacation time! Where can I submit my resume?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:22 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
The problem I've described is clearly a javascript issue, appears to to be related to ads that appear in threads. If I turn javascript off, the problem disappears. This runs the browsing experience at other websites. I want to turn off javascript only for flyertalk.com, right now the "too wide for the screen" problem is making flyertalk almost unusable.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
If you are using firefox, I highly suggest ....... plus, and using the directions from earlier on in the thread to eliminate the skimlinks javascript.

You can selectively decide what to eliminate, and by doing it as described it will improve your FT experience (in both speed and the knowledge you are not being skimmed).

+1 to ElmhurstNick's last.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:00 am

Are they still around?

Having problems today finding a URL that redirects via Skimlinks.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:42 pm

Either way, *fantastic* communication from IB on this issue. ^
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:47 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<Deleted - Err>

Last edited by KVS; Oct 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
That was in response to a post I made in ORP which was later than my response above.

I understand that somebody is out of the office, but we're now going on three weeks. There's nobody else on the technical side of all of Internet Brands who can answer these questions?
I think the deafening silence IS your answer.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Motors
Considering a lot of FTers use websites for their own gains where they may earn cashback etc. For example I earn a bit of money on Hilton bookings through Quidco. Presumably if I clicked Hilton links the money would have gone to FT had I not noticed the redirecting.at url.
I'm really confused by this skimlinks discussion. Does this mean FT essentially steals any cashback link I click on? Let's say, I have FT open in one tab, and Fatwallet cashback in another, I click to purchase something (from the Fatwallet tab), and FT somehow "skims" the revenue? Or does this only pertain to clicks that originate directly from the FT tab? Thanks for explaining!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm really confused by this skimlinks discussion. Does this mean FT essentially steals any cashback link I click on?
If Skimlinks have an affiliate partnership with a website that you click on a link from Flyertalk, then the clickthrough is tracked and any transaction you perform may end up giving affiliate revenue to Internet Brands.

This could also include transactions done much later on that site.

Now if you click a link from Fatwallet, then a different cookie will be set and you should earn the affiliate revenue. However, if you clicked on the link from FT later than the FW one, then you may have the revenue going to IB.

So Skimlinks doesn't steal your clicks (ie, clicking a link from FW won't magically get stolen by Skimlinks). But when you have different affiliate links being used, it can cause problems with getting correct cashbacks. It is also another reason why you should clear cookies for particular websites when attempting to use affiliate links.

Hope that helps explain things.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:45 am

Any updates on this????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.