Wiki Posts
Search

Skimlinks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by lin821
I bet IB never thinks of FT members' conga interruption when implementing this redirecting initiative.
I suspect quite the opposite... that they knew exactly that items such as congas could make them money without anybody realizing it.

If I was a conga-participate, I'd end up making a profile-type page with all my congas and affiliates someplace, and just linking to that instead.

I have an example if anybody wants to PM me, but it would be poor ettiquite for me to put my affiliate links to Priceline, etc. here.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:38 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
It's one thing to do this in the actual URL, so that the user knows what they are about to click on. It's something else to slap in in javascript so they don't see it until after the fact.
Indeed:

Originally Posted by http://SkimLinks.com/faq
Why do traditional affiliate links offer a poor user experience?

Traditional affiliate links appear in the browser status bar when a user is about to click on them. They tend to look ugly and suspicious, and may make a user less likely to click on them.

What is the difference with skimlinks?

SkimLinks lets the normal link appear, and adds the affiliate link only when the user clicks on the link. This makes users trust your site more, and increases the likelihood they will click on the affiliate link. Repeat users and more revenue - sounds good, right?
But to give them at least some credit, their TOS also state that:

Originally Posted by http://SkimLinks.com/register
16.5 In order to promote ethical and transparent use of the service, publishers are required to disclose use of affiliate marketing in their content. This must be displayed in a publicly accessible area of their site such as a Privacy Policy or About Us section.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The lag time is really really annoying. Every redirected page now takes almost like a lifetime to load! A very bad move in my book.
At least you are getting them to load. On some computers I use the redirecting site is blocked which means a painful process to quote a post then copy and paste the URL into another window.

Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I suspect quite the opposite... that they knew exactly that items such as congas could make them money without anybody realizing it.
seriously.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
At least you are getting them to load. On some computers I use the redirecting site is blocked which means a painful process to quote a post then copy and paste the URL into another window.

ouch. although i didnt even think of that.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
For those of you that use firefox, ....... plus can remove this. Simply add:

/skimlinks.js
Please pardon my ignorance.

I am using FF. Do you mean if I add "/skimlinks.js" to the end of hyperlinks in my posts, I don't have to worry about redirection any more? TIA

ETA:

I do have ....... plus in my FF. Just don't understand where to put the "/skimlinks.js." If not the end of hyperlinks, should it be under the preference or somewhere else? (Don't know what configuration file means.)

Last edited by lin821; Sep 28, 2009 at 5:07 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For those of you that use firefox, ....... plus can remove this. Simply add:

/skimlinks.js

as a blockable element
Thank you.

This turn of events is rather disappointing, although not surprising, I suppose. I guess the moderators didn't need to be so vigilant about undisclosed referral links since IB feels free to do something similar.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am using FF. Do you mean if I add "/skimlinks.js" to the end of hyperlinks in my posts, I don't have to worry about redirection any more? TIA
No, you need to install ....... plus and then put that item in the configuration file for it.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I do have ....... plus in my FF. Just don't understand where to put the "/skimlinks.js." If not the end of hyperlinks, should it be under the preference or somewhere else? (Don't know what configuration file means.)

You should see the large, red ....... Plus icon (looks like a stop sign) to the right of your address bar at the top of your browser.

Right click on it, select Preferences and then Add Filter. You'll get a box called New Filter and then type: /skimlinks.js

Hit OK and you're good to go.

Thanks to ClueByFour for this tip that works, for now, on every website using Skimlinks.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Thanks for the clarification about adding it as a filter. ClueByFour, thanks for the headsup. ^

All you guys have to say is "adding /skimlinks.js as a new filter." I have no problem finding preferences and adding filters. Why do you guys have to make it so geekily difficult for us non-techies?
Originally Posted by Cholula
select Preferences and then Add Filter. You'll get a box called New Filter and then type: /skimlinks.js
Bye Bye, IB redirection.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:33 pm

Thumbs down Skimlinks

IE is a tougher nut to crack. It can be done by adding it to the "inprivate filters" but if you don't know how to do it, it would take too long to explain.

In any case, eliminating the script brings you "unskimmed" links again.
Skimlinks

If you are using Internet Explorer 8, below is the XML code you can import as an "InPrivate Filter" to block the Skimlinks javascript code:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:wf="http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/webfilter/2008">
<channel>
<title>rules</title>
<description>Export of InPrivate Filtering</description>
<item>
<description>/skimlinks.js</description>
<wf:blockRegex>
<![CDATA[/skimlinks.js]]>
</wf:blockRegex>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>
Save the above code into a notepad/text file with an XML extension (e.g., disable_skimlinks.xml).

Open IE8 -> Tools -> InPrivate Filtering Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Import the XML file.

Keywords:

how to block disable javascript IB Skimlinks redirectingat redirectingat.com ib.redirectingat.com lb.redirectingat.com

Last edited by WBOTM; Oct 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm Reason: Add keywords
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:39 pm

ClueByFour, thank you for the reminder about InPrivate Filters. ^
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the HOM is still looking it to it for us.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Just got this warning when clicking on what should have been a link to BD's website:

Access Denied

The web resource http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3640929-...%3Fcmp%3Dem514 has been deemed by your administrator to be unsafe or unsuitable for you to access. The resource has been blocked. No further action is required.

Reason: Adware was found during a scan of this file request
Now, my net nanny could be overly sensitive... but it's pretty poor that I should be getting warnings of adware as a result of IB's skimlink thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.