Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:33 pm
R
formerly PrePress420
Original Poster

New Search Engine ?

" ibSearch from Internet Brands beta"
This is the coment at the top.
Doesn't remember my preferences.
Doesn't give quotes , just [quote] and other format type notations.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Also doesn't let you search titles only or a combo of titles and post.

I don't know how anyone can consider this an improvement.

Last edited by Mary2e; Oct 10, 2007 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
The new search is lame.

Internet Brands, bring back the old one.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
My experience with search this morning:

I noticed the post time bug has returned, and I knew I had started the thread reporting it the last time it happened, so I go to Tech Issues to find that thread. I knew the title contained the words "time machine bug", so I search for time machine, machine, time machine bug, and time bug, and the thread does not show up in the first several pages of the ~1900 results each search brought up. If I put in "time machine", I get no results. I'm assuming search did not find the thread at all, as it seems to me that titles are not being searched.

Now that I've posted to the thread, I've tried searching for it again, and it STILL does not appear when I sort the results by date, even with a recent post.

(I had to use the Google search option, and that worked. The thread was the second thread linked. What was the first thread linked? The archived version of the thread. )
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Well, we knew it was only a matter of time ... this absolutely, positively blows. I hope it's just a short-lived experiment, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
The ability to search for three-letter-words within a specific forum is EXCELLENT
and was not offered by the old search engine or the google search.

For example, a search for JFK-LHR now yields useful results.

A agree that many of the other options will be missed (thread titles, thread start date, number of replies), but I have found that for many searches the
new search vastly outperforms the old one.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by chrisw
The ability to search for three-letter-words within a specific forum is EXCELLENT

A agree that many of the other options will be missed (thread titles, thread start date, number of replies), but I have found that for many searches the
new search vastly outperforms the old one.
It's not so excellent for me. Every search I try brings up nothing but a blank page. Not even "you got no results." Just a blank page.

Ed
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suranyi
It's not so excellent for me. Every search I try brings up nothing but a blank page. Not even "you got no results." Just a blank page.
Same with me. No search results, no nothing. Just a blank page.

Search is now completely worthless.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
I got very intresting message from my search result.

Sorry, we were unable to fulfill your request
Reason:
Your search returned no results
Possible Cause: You may have searched for something our search engine has never seen before, perhaps a word in another language not spoken by the users on this site.

Please try revising your search terms and try again. If you believe your search terms should be returning results, please create a post in the user support forum, detailing exactly what you were searching for and an idea of what you feel it should be returning for results.

Remember, this is a beta test. With your feedback, we can improve this search tool to be the best it can be!
(underline by me)

Yes, the system I'm using is Windows XP(US ENglish) + MUI pack(JP, KR and S-CH) but GUI remains in English, and IE's language setting is en-us.
Search term was also single-byte alpha-numeric word "MUFB018" (AVIS neighborhood discount coupon code).

Hopefully someone can figure this out - FT is the world-wide site.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chrisw

I'm sure most of us welcome the theoretical utility of a three-letter search. Not only will airport codes now be eligible search terms, but airplane equipment abbreviations like "753" will be as well.

The problem is that in gaining this welcome new feature, we lost tons of other critical search features that allowed us to search only titles, search within specific threads, and to display search results as individual posts.

I see no reason why those critical features needed to be jettisoned in order to add the three-letter search function.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:16 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by PforPlatinum
I got very intresting message from my search result.

(underline by me)

Yes, the system I'm using is Windows XP(US ENglish) + MUI pack(JP, KR and S-CH) but GUI remains in English, and IE's language setting is en-us.
Search term was also single-byte alpha-numeric word "MUFB018" (AVIS neighborhood discount coupon code).

Hopefully someone can figure this out - FT is the world-wide site.
I got the same message using VistaHP with the latest Firefox.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Same with me. No search results, no nothing. Just a blank page.
That's what I was getting earlier today, but search just started working for me, but no three-letter searches either. I assume the new search has been temporarily backed out for further development?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:44 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by anabolism
That's what I was getting earlier today, but search just started working for me, but no three-letter searches either. I assume the new search has been temporarily backed out for further development?
Yes, it was just posted on one of the other three active search related threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.