Search

Search options gone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Search options gone?

I use some features of search quite extensively to narrow down results, which is particularly important when a wider search would bring back more than 500 results. Things like searching on threads started by user, date ranges and sort options. (Also search on title - thanks Canarsie for reminding me.)

I don't see these options any more. Can they please be brought back?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2007 at 12:27 pm
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

As a FlyerTalk moderator, I really, really need the ability to be able to search by title.

Can that option please be restored?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:07 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I use some features of search quite extensively to narrow down results, which is particularly important when a wider search would bring back more than 500 results. Things like searching on threads started by user, date ranges and sort options. (Also search on title - thanks Canarsie for reminding me.)

I don't see these options any more. Can they please be brought back?
I also use these features often, to refine the search when I get too many results without them. Please bring them back.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
The "Search This Thread" popup box does a full-forum search, too- and not just the thread you're currently viewing. This was a really useful option for those threads (i.e., the "$20 Vegas Trick") that are hundreds of replies long.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:41 pm

Not to mention the "Show by Thread" vs "Show by Post" that was key.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Canarsie
As a FlyerTalk moderator, I really, really need the ability to be able to search by title.

Can that option please be restored?
Amen! As a person who does a lot of searching and hitting of the "bad post" button [much to Canarsie & ldsant's chagrin ] , this option is desperately needed.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I will "third" the request for search by title. Searching by title is very useful if you remember some words in the title and don't want a lot of false positives from other threads.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:30 pm

I hope I do not have to extensively edit Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread.

Is it not technologically possible to have a three-letter search combined with the search options that we used to have here on FlyerTalk? That would be ideal. I truly hope they are not mutually exclusive.

Of course, this does not preclude us from offering suggestions on how to further improve the vBulletin bulletin board software search option for FlyerTalk...
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a mess. I can no longer search by thread originator. Search has been gutted for me.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I just noticed the following:
  1. You cannot search within a thread, it defaults to an search all open forums search
  2. The google search link is not visible from all search locations.

I am a searchaholic, I can't function Help!

Last edited by KENNECTED; Oct 11, 2007 at 5:54 am Reason: editted for clarity.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The google search link is not longer available
No, it's still there. Use the Search link in the top link-bar, the Google search still shows up and still works. The built-in search has been totally trashed, however... I strongly recommend reverting to the previous functionality.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:35 pm

The current format of the search engine built into FlyerTalk is completely useless to me.

Please revert completely back to the former search format until the three-letter search issue is resolved and proven to work.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
The current format of the search engine built into FlyerTalk is completely useless to me.

Please revert completely back to the former search format until the three-letter search issue is resolved and proven to work.

Thank you in advance.
^ ^ ^
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

Thank you in advance.
I agree.

I tried "Search this forum," Advanced options and it has been gutted. Essential options such as "Titles only" are gone.

Was this thoughtless trashing of the Search function intentional???
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:14 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
I would say it's time to end the test (going back to the old search), fix/restore the necessary missing features and then try another beta test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.