Search

Search options gone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Unhappy

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What a mess. I can no longer search by thread originator. Search has been gutted for me.
Search feature for me is now completely gone/not functioning.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm with ed1 on this - the current Search is pretty well useless to me. We can live without three character search, but this is not good. It hampers my ability to maximize FT for me as a member, and really interferes with my duties as a moderator.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm with ed1 on this - the current Search is pretty well useless to me. We can live without three character search, but this is not good. It hampers my ability to maximize FT for me as a member, and really interferes with my duties as a moderator.
Also, you have personally put in a lot of effort to edit titles and make them searchable. ^

Unfortunately, that effort is now for nought.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with the others; the changes to search are terrible. If this is the price for three letter searches, the price is too high.

I've got one question: Are changes like this evaluated and decided by actual users (Flyertalkers or some leadership group of Flyertalkers like the Talkboard) or are they decided solely by the technical staff?

All too often in many organizations, dramatic changes to the functionality of software are implemented by the technical staff without any real input by those who use it the most. I've seen this again and again.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I doubt the tech staff decided this on their own.

I just keep reminding myself that FT is now a FOR PROFIT business and decisions will be based upon profitability not usability.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:01 pm

Search no longer works at all for me.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
search doesn't even work for me. It keeps showing a blank page
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Is it not technologically possible to have a three-letter search combined with the search options that we used to have here on FlyerTalk? That would be ideal. I truly hope they are not mutually exclusive.
Amen. ^

As welcome as the three-letter search feature is -- I suspect many of us have a frequent desire to use three-letter airport codes and three-letter airplane equipment abbreviations in our searches -- any gain from its addition is offset by the loss of the search by title, search this thread, and show results as posts (not entire threads) features.

Any reason the newly-activated three-word search feature cannot be grafted onto the older search engine?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:46 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Any reason the newly-activated three-word search feature cannot be grafted onto the older search engine?
The three-character search feature is hardly "new": In the past, the minimum search term length was set to 3 (using the 'classic' search engine), then it was increased to 4.

Now, instead of simply decreasing it back to 3, the 'classic' search engine was replaced with "ibSearch from Internet Brands beta" ...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by KVS
The three-character search feature is hardly "new": In the past, the minimum search term length was set to 3 (using the 'classic' search engine), then it was increased to 4.
He did not say new.

He said...
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
newly-activated three-word search feature
However, I also remember FlyerTalk having the ability to search for terms with a minimum of three characters while being powered by the vBulletin bulletin board software application program.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

It sure would be nice if one of the powers that be would chime in...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Ditto here.

The lack of the ability to search only titles is a HUGE loss for being able to consolidate information in forums.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The current format of the search engine built into FlyerTalk is completely useless to me.

Please revert completely back to the former search format until the three-letter search issue is resolved and proven to work.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:59 pm
Internet Brands

Classic search is back!!

This is Kevin Hayes, project manager over at Internet Brands. Thanks to everyone for participating in our ibSearch beta program. You're feedback has been very helpful as we work towards creating the best possible forum search. We've gone ahead and turned the old search back on for now as we work to incorporate the features the community has requested.

The beta search is still available at the bottom of the "advanced search" page. Please feel free to continue to use the new search and give us your feedback.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kevinhayes
This is Kevin Hayes, project manager over at Internet Brands. Thanks to everyone for participating in our ibSearch beta program. You're feedback has been very helpful as we work towards creating the best possible forum search. We've gone ahead and turned the old search back on for now as we work to incorporate the features the community has requested.

The beta search is still available at the bottom of the "advanced search" page. Please feel free to continue to use the new search and give us your feedback.

Thanks!
Thank you, kevinhayes...

...and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Kevin, thanks for turning the old search back on. Please see my response to your post in the other Search thread (which should probably be combined with this one, BTW).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.