Search

Three-Letter Search Not Working!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:27 am
ed1
Original Poster

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Three-Letter Search Not Working!

I just tried it for an airport code (PDT) and I got the same old error message on regular search.

Also tried advanced search for PHL on NW WP forum and got:
The search term you specified (PHL) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
Edit: Since I'm able to post this, I was obviously signed in.

Last edited by ed1; Oct 10, 2007 at 3:40 am
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I encountered the same problem. I also tried logging out and back in again, to see if that would help.

The same error message appears regardless of whether I use "Search" or "Search this forum."

Maybe the new three-letter search only works for administrators, or only in certain forums???
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:24 am
ed1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I encountered the same problem. I also tried logging out and back in again, to see if that would help.

The same error message appears regardless of whether I use "Search" or "Search this forum."

Maybe the new three-letter search only works for administrators, or only in certain forums???
I knew I was missing something. Thanks for checking out the "search this forum." Maybe there's still something they need to do to make it work for us regular members. I know the announcement said the trial period was Oct 10, 07 until Oct 14, 07 for signed in members.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:29 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I get an error message:

The search term you specified (PVD) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:03 am

Me too.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Search Issues

I consider myself a search guru. Not only is the three letter word search not working [Example word: ski - when looking for this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=skiing ], there also now seems to be an sporadic issues with four and five letter word searches. there is a

In the Starwood forum I attempted to find a thread titled “Best use of points” and did a search using the word “best” and it came back with an error although, the below thread, the thread I was looking for exist: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=points

I cannot remember the five letter word I or thread I was searching for.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:26 am

Sorry for the confusion all ... looks like we jumped the gun a little on the announcement. The three letter search feature is still being installed, should be ready to go within a couple of hours.

Again, my apologies ... I blame it on my itchy trigger finger.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
Sorry for the confusion all ... looks like we jumped the gun a little on the announcement. The three letter search feature is still being installed, should be ready to go within a couple of hours.

Again, my apologies ... I blame it on my itchy trigger finger.

Why that naughty little trigger finger....fifty lashes I say!

I guess the bright side of this is at least you didn't give us the finger!

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation, for a moment I thought I lost my search mojo!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
3 letter searches ("LAX-JFK") in "search this thread" seem to bring up results from all kinds of different forums.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:18 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
Sorry for the confusion all ... looks like we jumped the gun a little on the announcement. The three letter search feature is still being installed, should be ready to go within a couple of hours...
The results look great!

I would prefer that the results default to sorting by post-date instead of by relevance, but hey, that's just one mouse-click away.

Good job, guys!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:25 am

For those of you who are confused, the new search didn't go up until approximately 10:00am Pacific Time
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:27 pm
ed1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinSours
For those of you who are confused, the new search didn't go up until approximately 10:00am Pacific Time
Thanks and welcome to FT.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:49 pm
LRD

Searching for two or more keywords... the results will begin to display with both words but then it seems to 'forget' one of the words and only displays results for the other word. This can happen mid-page.

Also, the next-page navigation arrows don't work when displaying results.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by LRD
Searching for two or more keywords... the results will begin to display with both words but then it seems to 'forget' one of the words and only displays results for the other word. This can happen mid-page.
The new search handles things a little differently. If you get it multiple words it will score a result higher if it contains all of them but doesn't require them. To require a particular word use a plus sign

"LAX hotels" doesn't require both words be present
"+LAX +hotels" does

Originally Posted by LRD
Also, the next-page navigation arrows don't work when displaying results.
It seems to work for me. I assume you are talking about the paging links above and below the result list? Also, what browser/OS are you using?
Kevin
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:35 pm
LRD

Originally Posted by KevinSours
It seems to work for me. I assume you are talking about the paging links above and below the result list? Also, what browser/OS are you using?
FF 2.0.0.7.

Factors that could be an issue: I use 'newest first' for thread display mode, along with 40 ppp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.