Search

Is the search function working?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Is the search function working?

I am having trouble with the search function since the last upgrade. The results are often incomplete and sometimes there are no hits at all. A number of posters in OMNI (Geography game) also have the feeling that the search function is not working properly. Can you please look into this? Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: Lots
I'm seeing issues as well. A search for "HON" in the LH forum is netting zero results right now.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Axey
I'm seeing issues as well. A search for "HON" in the LH forum is netting zero results right now.
and i'll also add that searching for "jfk" (caps and lower case) in the hilton forum brings zero results
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:30 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Three letter searches do not currently pull results, this is something that we plan to bring back, but at the time of the upgrade had to be removed temporarily.

Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
it seems that if you're logged in, clicking search goes to the built in board program's search but if you're logged out, clicking search access's google search, which is much better.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Another oddity: doing two-term searches -- like "comp plat" -- within a forum (using "Search this Forum") returns hits from every forum.

If you use only one term, then your search results are indeed limited to the forum being searched.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...31#post6977631
for a possible reason. Any way to change this?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:33 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Another oddity: doing two-term searches -- like "comp plat" -- within a forum (using "Search this Forum") returns hits from every forum.

If you use only one term, then your search results are indeed limited to the forum being searched.
I'm not seeing this, I did a search for "comp plat" on the oneworld forum and just got 14 results, all in the oneworld forum. Do you have an example of a forum where you are seeing this?

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
it seems that if you're logged in, clicking search goes to the built in board program's search but if you're logged out, clicking search access's google search, which is much better.
This is purposeful, the Google search is provided for people that are not registered to reduce stress on the servers. There is the chance that we might change this in the future of course though.

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt
cfischer stumbled upon a very interesting search quirk in one of the threads.

Apparently if a word is partially modified with a tag - it now becomes non searchable. This was not the case before.

Example
Iantha will not be searchable in this thread
Virginia will be searchable in this thread
Maryland will be searchable too!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
I'm not seeing this, I did a search for "comp plat" on the oneworld forum and just got 14 results, all in the oneworld forum. Do you have an example of a forum where you are seeing this?
Well, thankfully, today I can't duplicate it and all is behaving as it should.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:44 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by pranu
cfischer stumbled upon a very interesting search quirk in one of the threads.

Apparently if a word is partially modified with a tag - it now becomes non searchable. This was not the case before.

Example
Iantha will not be searchable in this thread
Virginia will be searchable in this thread
Maryland will be searchable too!
Thanks for the heads up, we switched to a different search method with the upgrade, this may be the reason for this.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, thankfully, today I can't duplicate it and all is behaving as it should.
Good to hear it is now behaving for you!

Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
Three letter searches do not currently pull results, this is something that we plan to bring back, but at the time of the upgrade had to be removed temporarily.
Are three letter terms seperated by a dash considered a three letter search? The term "ORD-NRT" (sans quotes) in the UA forum returns zero results as well.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:20 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Are three letter terms seperated by a dash considered a three letter search? The term "ORD-NRT" (sans quotes) in the UA forum returns zero results as well.
In testing this it appears that the search treats these as two separate words ORD and -NRT (with the - being a not operator) but both are 3 letter words so the search does not provide results.

Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:19 pm

Thanks. Is there any flexibility in the search logic to eliminate vB from considering a "-" without a space in front of it a negating operator? It seems like searching for routes like that would be something oft-performed on FT.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:23 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Thanks. Is there any flexibility in the search logic to eliminate vB from considering a "-" without a space in front of it a negating operator? It seems like searching for routes like that would be something oft-performed on FT.
Unfortunately not from what I can tell with the vB search. There is another way though, the Google site search found at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/google_search.php

should not have a problem finding it. Example:

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.