Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coupon Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
How do I access Coupon Connection? I'm lost.
You can access it by looking at cached pages in Google. For Example, do a Google search of SPG50. You can't bring up the flyertalk links listed but you can look at the cached copy of the flyer talk page.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by nytango
So do we just follow the yellow brick road until we meet the wizard. Will he then tell us how to obtain admission??
LOL that was EXACTLY my thought as I was reading this thread (or clicking my heels three times). Everyone is right...us newbies see this in regular posts. I personally think it would be much less confusing if it would be shown as a forum like all the others and then when you get there to have the message (that I have gotten elsewhere) that basically says you cant go there because of your access or you cant post because of your limited number of posts.

BTW if any one ever figures out how to get into Coupon Connection please send me the map!!!

I do have to admit it is frustrating in the "main forums" when people who have been on FT a while respond to newer people with "that should post in Coupon Connection" when they know darn well most of us cant get there....I saw today where a moderator gave that answer even!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:41 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

This is an example of an excellent question and in turn has become helpful. A few changes we've made. We no longer feature posts from this or other restricted forums as active threads on the front page of FlyerTalk as i learned from some of the above posts. This should help. As well, I have asked our volunteer moderator staff to be aware of answering questions in the way you have just described. This will actually be a topic during the next live Moderator chat scheduled next week and i think from then on you'll see better and more consistent help in this area.

As you can guess, no matter how much time you spend going over any situation, there's usually something you miss and your catch of this is a real help to all of us, members and moderators alike. I apologize if these types of posts in the past have caused any confusion and we'll certainly now be addressing it.

Thank you all for your support of FlyerTalk and in particular, FlyinHawaiian for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers,
Randy

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Randy:

I've been meaning to ask this, and this seems like a good time. Once in a while in the forums, I'll see a question by one of the newer members about how to obtain an upgrade certificate or something similar, and often the response other members will give is "this needs to be asked in Coupon Connection." While this is true, it also does alert people to the existance of a forum that they do not have access to (and, perhaps, encourage posting binges trying to increase their post count). In the future, would you prefer us to be less forthcoming about the existance of the Coupon Connection Forum in our public discussions?

Thanks for your time (and FlyerTalk in general).
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:22 pm

While I understand the need for those of us who do not post as regularly or as frequently as others having our status demoted (!) ,what I don't understand is why we did not see/recieve a message warning us to that effect. I am certainly not someone who wants to "abuse" the system, and I have been able to be helpful to members as they have been to me. However, lack of notification seems to be an intentional oversight, and for this I must register my dismay and disappointment. I will certainly continute to contribute to flyer talk, however, I really don't like to be treated as though I am too "simple" to understand a rule change.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:26 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Dear Dr.:
It has nothing at all to do with demoting those who do not post as regularly or as frequently having your status demoted. The reasons have been explained on an other thread and i would invite you to read them over:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443530

They have everything to do with our commitment to make FlyerTalk the absolute best place to learn, read and exchange information about frequent flyer programs. OMNI and S.P.A.M. have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of miles and points and The Coupon Connection only has a distant relationship. We have not downgraded your ability to participate or contribute to what FlyerTalk has best to offer. I fully appreciate that most of these comments are from emotions speaking which is why I'm glad that i can address as many of them as i can.

And you are correct, the lack of notice was intentional - intentional because most members don't see the forums anyway. Because we could think of no message that could possible address all the various views of this, we decided - more appropriately, I decided - that we'll make this small change and deal one-on-one with those members with questions or concerns. I don't consider you simple, or value your presence on FlyerTalk any less than any other member, which is exactly why in these threads you'll see that I am answering each and every concern that I can.

As for those that abuse the system, thousands of hours of volunteer work have gone in to making FlyerTalk a better reading and learning environment for you and our many other members. These small changes will do wonders toward helping FlyerTalk remain a positive place for you to visit.

As with any other concerns, feel free to contact me personally on any matter.

Cheers,
Randy
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
...thousands of hours of volunteer work have gone in to making FlyerTalk a better reading and learning environment for you and our many other members. These small changes will do wonders toward helping FlyerTalk remain a positive place for you to visit.
I definitely agree with the course you're navigating here. Far too many internet communities start out with a focused and passionate core and proceed to fall apart as soon as the "raving loonies of the internet" breech the city walls. I'm not saying FT should be elitist or a good 'ol boys network, but strict rules which narrow the focus of discussion allow FT to remain a viable and useful community.

While I'm a little disappointed that I most likely won't regain access to OMNI or CouponConnection for quite a while now, I still agree with the actions you've taken.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Also understand the need to do this, but does make it difficult to get rid of something of value...too bad there isn't a way to both promote the forums themselves as well as provide a means to make unused items available...
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:16 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by ongeluk
Also understand the need to do this, but does make it difficult to get rid of something of value...too bad there isn't a way to both promote the forums themselves as well as provide a means to make unused items available...
If you are participating in the various airline/hotel forums, you get to know people. You can also visit the Chat during evenings.

That way, you get to know people that you may want to give unused items to other than using Coupon Connection.

Attend a gathering of Flyertalkers... many coupons trade hands at those events.

William
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you're giving something away (as opposed to trade), you can also ask any moderator for assistance. We're happy to help by posting in CC on your behalf.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
I take it 90 and 90 does NOT get you back into CC. I passed that eariler today. Maybe in a few days I'll see if it was 100 posts.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Wood gold
I was told 90 and 90 as well, but that's not the case either. I guess I'll just wait it out like a good newbie should.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Wood gold
My bad, just logged off and then re logged on. Now, I'm in!!! Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:34 am

Post count and access to certain forums is updated once a day.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
where is coupon connection

It was here before lunch and now its gone????
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I noticed it moved in my queue in My FlyerTalk. It used to be pretty high up, but now it's in the bottom third. Try checking lower in your queue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.