Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Using Google to search FlyerTalk (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Google to search FlyerTalk (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Under the old system I had my choice of either the F/T search or the Google search. Now I have only the Google search. It seems like a losing proposition to me.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Under the old system I had my choice of either the F/T search or the Google search. Now I have only the Google search. It seems like a losing proposition to me.
It's still there. Pull the search menu down, then click "advanced search".
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
"Search this forum" is also not using google.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Thanks, Scott. I didn't see that.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi,
I used the standard forum search button, with less than impressive results. The inability to search by topic title is my main issue with the google search.

Can the functionality of this google search be improved, so that searching is ordered by most recent and/or most relevant results?

Instead of the google option, I'll use the advanced search, by topic titles. Thanks for the warning of the change. ^
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:46 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Thank for the feedback all, we are limited as to what we can do with this, but I'll see where we can make changes on this. For things like searching by forum or topic titles the advanced search will certainly be the way to go, but I think the Google search is actually alot better than the forum search in some ways as you can be very specific about what you are looking for (lots of search terms and terms that would kill the vB search in a second. Thanks again,

Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I like it - but agree I would like it to default to the FlyerTalk site rather than the web
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:13 am

Quick search by last post date is very important and is a big loss.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:21 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by apirchik
Quick search by last post date is very important and is a big loss.
You can still use it, just click on advanced search, only enter something in the keywords field and it will give you the same result as if you had used the quick search box. Thanks,

Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Is it possible to filter or restrict the Google Adsense results that come up, to eliminate adult sites?

I just did a search for "MISC MATURE" (which was a puzzling credit that showed on my SPG account), and the Ads by Google box at the top of the page was offering up "Hot Naked Mature Moms".
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:07 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Terrible IMO

I always use the Advanced Search option to search.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:11 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by swag
Is it possible to filter or restrict the Google Adsense results that come up, to eliminate adult sites?

I just did a search for "MISC MATURE" (which was a puzzling credit that showed on my SPG account), and the Ads by Google box at the top of the page was offering up "Hot Naked Mature Moms".
Yes, there is a way to filter this, just visit the Google search preferences page at:

http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en

and change your setting for "SafeSearch Filtering" to the level that is most appropriate for you. Thanks,

Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Google Search

Is this feature now gone or is it a matter of renewing the contract with Google?

I did try to search for a thread regarding this, but that became a Catch-22 -- if you know what I mean.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:04 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

You can use the Google search at: http://www.flyertalk.com/google_search.php

Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Thanks for the link, Tim. Much appreciated.

Is there a reason it came off the top or is that a vBulletin thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.