Performance Test Feedback/Search Downtime

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Performance Test Feedback/Search Downtime

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
No offense, but has anybody noticed how limiting it is when Search is down? If for no other reason than the "old hands" can't criticisize the "newbies" for having asked the same question everybody else did.
I'd much rather be without search than be without FT. When search is enabled, FT is almost impossible to use for me, so I'm glad that search is gone for now.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
Not sure if you have missed it...
Yep, I must have missed that announcement... sorry - haven't been around FT very much the past few weeks.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:35 am

How about leave the "New Threads" feature but disable regular searching? I do realize that "New Threads" is just a search function itself, but this would still allow some functionality without overtaxing the search function (and slowing the board down).

I really find FT to hard to use without the "New Threads" feature. I just can't take the time to click on every board to see what is up.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by steve100
How about leave the "New Threads" feature but disable regular searching? I do realize that "New Threads" is just a search function itself, but this would still allow some functionality without overtaxing the search function (and slowing the board down).

I really find FT to hard to use without the "New Threads" feature. I just can't take the time to click on every board to see what is up.
Not possible.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:10 pm

search

what happened to search and new post button? Is it because of speed issue? I don't have speed issue with the search enabled. Thanks, just my 2 cents
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drtravix
I'd much rather be without search than be without FT.
Even if that were the choice, it's pretty much a wash. FT without search is basically unusable, so it comes to the same thing.

Because google won't sort by date, searches that take 1 second here can take minutes or hours to do manually on google, or may not even be there. It would be better if FT were down completely for a week to fix the problem (if that's what it takes) than have this semi-usable shadow of FT running for weeks.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
FT without search is basically unusable. . . .
I agree. It's too bad, because FlyerTalk, with search features enabled, is such a great website. While I (somewhat) understand the technical reason why the search features are presently unavailable and certainly do not blame anybody at FlyerTalk, I am afraid that the present version of this site is just a shadow of its former self. Here's hoping that the search features will be restored with all due haste, following an expeditious resolution of the security issues that compel their present disablement.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:58 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
If search is so slow, why not archive some of the older threads?

Anything older than 18 months gets archived, and for OMNI, anything older than a year.

The old stuff gets stored in something called http://archive.flyertalk.com

Maybe that can speed up the process

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.