Wiki Posts
Search

SEARCH is broken

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
SEARCH is broken

Didn't used to be. Don't know if it's been mentioned.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Is it not functioning at all, or is there just one feature that you are having a problem with? You may wish to elaborate on this further. BTW, I used the search feature this morning without a problem.

As this is a technical issue and not DL related, that is the board where I will be moving this thread to.

Rssrsvp - Moderator
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:42 pm

What exactly do you mean?

If you say that the search is broken please give us an example of the error you encountered.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 2:07 pm

Search only returns a couple of days worth of data

I just did a search for "Exit Row MVP" on the NW forum and got no hits, which surprised me. I then changed my search to "Exit Row" and got only 4 or 5 threads, all of which were recent. Is this by design?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 6:48 pm

While all the old archives have been reincorporated into their original threads, it seems (on the United forum, at least) that the search only goes back to 2002 posts.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Still having search problems

I'm still having search problems. I'm ether getting a message that the administrator only allows 1 search every 30 seconds or if my search does go through I'm missing results. For example, when I search the starwood forum for San Diego I'm getting less than 6 results. I know for a fact that there are many more San Diego starwood topics - including the one I'm looking for with the e-mail address for the manager at the Sheraton San Diego hotel and marina. I'm not setting any restrictions to my search.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to wait in line and hope I hit the search at least 30 seconds after the last person.

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:04 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
I'm ether getting a message that the administrator only allows 1 search every 30 seconds
Are you waiting that long between search attempts? Did you receive that error right off the bat?

or if my search does go through I'm missing results. For example, when I search the starwood forum for San Diego I'm getting less than 6 results. I know for a fact that there are many more San Diego starwood topics - including the one I'm looking for with the e-mail address for the manager at the Sheraton San Diego hotel and marina. I'm not setting any restrictions to my search.
Yeah, we've been noticing some missing results from the search. It's possible the index didn't get built fully during the migration over.

Old Apr 13, 2004, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I'm experiencing problems in the Coupon Connection. I know for a fact that I had started a thread on Hilton Easy Escapes (I found it independently), buttthe search function doesn't turn it up.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
Are you waiting that long between search attempts? Did you receive that error right off the bat?
Getting that message with the first try.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
What's the thought behind barring people from searches until 30 seconds from the first search?????? Clearly the new FT has it's "issues" compared to the old one....
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:31 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
What's the thought behind barring people from searches until 30 seconds from the first search?????? Clearly the new FT has it's "issues" compared to the old one....
What's the thought? It's to help prevent automated bots from running searches non-stop since the search is an intensive process that can bog down the site, although not as bad as it used to.

Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:33 am
dan at WebFlyer

Getting that message with the first try.
I haven't found anything about this yet on the vBB site, but I'll keep checking.

Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:35 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by cactuspete
I'm experiencing problems in the Coupon Connection. I know for a fact that I had started a thread on Hilton Easy Escapes (I found it independently), buttthe search function doesn't turn it up.
What's the link to the thread you started and what terms were you using to search for it?

Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I've posted in several threads about the Hilton Mission Bay resort in San Diego. Searching "San Diego Resort" and "San Diego Hilton" in the HHonors forum ONLY brings up recent posts (in this case, all of the hits I received were in threads that received posts today) and I haven't seen any hits from before the switchover.

For example, neither search finds this thread.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Short search words

Another "issue" with search which is rather annoying, is that if the words are too "short", it will ignore the search string. Thus, if I search CX CO BF (Cathay Pacific, Continental, Business First) it comes back with "CX CO BF" search terms ignored, which severely limits the possibility of searching about Cathay and Continental and BusinessFirst, since these abbreviations are so common that few people spell them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.