Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEARCH is broken

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:27 am
dan at WebFlyer

I've got a tech request into vBB about the incomplete search results so we should know more soon. Thanks for all your patience.

Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:19 pm

Unhappy Only Seeing Very Recent Posts When Searching

I've been trying to search for "las vegas" in the Hilton forum and only come up with 10 April 2004 posts although I'm searching for any date!
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:44 pm

I'm having problems with search today as well - trying "website discount" in the UA forum using the basic drop-down at the forum level. 2 scenarios:
1. times out
2. redirects me to the advanced search page (even though I didn't select advanced search) and then tells me I've already done a search in the last 30 seconds. After waiting a full minute and a half, try again and the advanced screen just reloads again.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Same issue - different symptom

I haven't been able to get search to work on the UA forum for the last 2 days. It eventually ties out with this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 75497472 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/site/flyertalk.com/www/forum/search.php on line 946

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 75497472 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 0 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:05 pm
dan at WebFlyer

John's got the server memory tweaked out as much as he's going to take it. I'd try altering your search phrases and making them more direct. That error stems from too many results coming back from a search. vBulletin is aware of it, but they don't have any fixes right now other than increasing memory size.

Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by BingoSF
I'm having problems with search today as well - trying "website discount" in the UA forum using the basic drop-down at the forum level. 2 scenarios:
1. times out
2. redirects me to the advanced search page (even though I didn't select advanced search) and then tells me I've already done a search in the last 30 seconds. After waiting a full minute and a half, try again and the advanced screen just reloads again.
This is still happening today (though entirely scenario 2). I've cleared all temp files, etc. I use IE 6.0 on WindowsXP. Everytime I input anything either into the Basic Search or the Advanced Search, the only thing that gets returned is a reset Advanced Search page. This is true for very precise searches that were completed successfully last week using the exact same criteria (returning about 20 results). I'm not encountering the timeout error as much today FWIW. Any thoughts? Am I just cursed ?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:58 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by BingoSF
This is still happening today (though entirely scenario 2). I've cleared all temp files, etc. I use IE 6.0 on WindowsXP. Everytime I input anything either into the Basic Search or the Advanced Search, the only thing that gets returned is a reset Advanced Search page. This is true for very precise searches that were completed successfully last week using the exact same criteria (returning about 20 results). I'm not encountering the timeout error as much today FWIW. Any thoughts? Am I just cursed ?
I just did a search in the UA forum for "website discount", using the dropdown search, clicked the "Go" button and received four pages of results from the UA forum. (used WinXP and IE6)

I noticed, though, that when I entered my search string and hit Return, rather than clicking the "Go" button, it ended up searching all forums, as I received about 20 pages of results from all of them. Could be a problem with vBB's CSS and IE6, since it appears that the browser sends a Return key press to the Advanced Search, rather than the form button. I'll keep an eye out for a patch from vBB.

Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Angry Can't search at all!

Every time I've tried a search, I've ended up with this page:

The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php

The following error was encountered:

We can not connect to the server you have requested.

This means that:

The server might be busy at this time.
The server is not reachable.

Please try later to see if you can go through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generated Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:02:20 GMT by (Application and Content Networking System Software 4.2.13)

Any ideas?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:57 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by senor_jefe
Every time I've tried a search, I've ended up with this page:

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php

The following error was encountered:

We can not connect to the server you have requested.

This means that:

The server might be busy at this time.
The server is not reachable.

Please try later to see if you can go through.

Generated Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:02:20 GMT by (Application and Content Networking System Software 4.2.13)

Any ideas?
1. Do you receive any other errors (besides search errors) when you use/browse FlyerTalk?

2. How long has this search error been going on for you? Has the search ever worked for you?

3. Are you behind any company firewalls/proxies?

4. What browser/version and operating system are you using?

5. Is this error happening only in a particular forum or on multiple forums, and can you list which forum(s) have given you errors?

Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:14 pm

Answers

1. Do you receive any other errors (besides search errors) when you use/browse FlyerTalk?

No.

2. How long has this search error been going on for you? Has the search ever worked for you?

Since the change to the vBB software. Not on the new version. The old board worked perfectly.

3. Are you behind any company firewalls/proxies?

Yes. Everything is configured in IE.

4. What browser/version and operating system are you using?

IE 6.0.2800.1106IS / Windows2000.

5. Is this error happening only in a particular forum or on multiple forums, and can you list which forum(s) have given you errors?

Multiple forums. Tested on the following:

Air Canada
Hilton
Starwood
Singapore Airlines
Travel Destination - Asia
Technical Issues

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:01 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Multiple forums. Tested on the following:

Air Canada
Hilton
Starwood
Singapore Airlines
Travel Destination - Asia
Technical Issues

Thanks for your help.
For the Tech Issues error, what phrase/words were you searching on and can you list out the exact links/buttons you clicked to get that error? Sorry for all the steps, but since I haven't seen this error yet on our end, I need more info.

Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:49 am

Steps

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
For the Tech Issues error, what phrase/words were you searching on and can you list out the exact links/buttons you clicked to get that error? Sorry for all the steps, but since I haven't seen this error yet on our end, I need more info.
1. Click Search This Forum
2. Enter "search", click Go
3. Receive error. Immediately.
4. Click refresh.
5. Am told that I can ony search once every 15 seconds.

Tried the exact same thing going through advanced search. Same result.

I'm guessing that it is something on my side.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:07 am
dan at WebFlyer

1. Click Search This Forum
2. Enter "search", click Go
3. Receive error. Immediately.
4. Click refresh.
5. Am told that I can ony search once every 15 seconds.

Tried the exact same thing going through advanced search. Same result.

I'm guessing that it is something on my side.
I did the same steps you list for both searching this particular thread as well as searching the whole Tech Issues forum, and I'm still not receiving errors. We don't have Win2K here, though, so it's possible it's something to do with that plus IE6. I checked on WinXP and OSX.

(the 15 second warning is expected, though, since you refreshed the page - causing the same search to run again before the flood control time limit was met)

Here's my search result from the Tech Issues forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...searchid=46644

(it may expire soon as more searches are performed...)

It sounds like it may indeed be something on your end if it's happening to you all the time on many forums, and it's something I can't duplicate. Is there any way you can check FT from a computer outside your company's firewall, or from home?

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
Is there any way you can check FT from a computer outside your company's firewall, or from home?
I tried it from outside the firewall and the search works fine. Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.