Wiki Posts
Search

Issues related to rollout of FT "enhancements" 11 Aug 2022 or thereabouts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
"Can you help us"/Adblocker message... but not using an ad blocker

I've noticed that the right edge of every page has two red "nag" boxes... one of them requests that I "disabl[e my] AdBlocker..." -- but I'm not using an AdBlocker and don't really appreciate the guilt tripping accusation... Especially since the same pages have two banner ads very visible

Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Same issue here. I’ve got ads and the very polite red boxes requesting no ad blocker.

I downloaded a new IPad update, but it doesn’t appear to be blocking ads.

Update: Also having the same issue on my laptop, which didn't have an update

Last edited by bitterproffit; Aug 11, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yes I’m running an ad blocker, but those red “nag boxes” that
used to hover over the page now remain in the rightmost 1/3 of the page, and therefore reduce the display width of the rest of the columns on the page — iPhone; haven’t looked on desktop
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Issues related to rollout of FT "enhancements" 11 Aug 2022 or thereabouts

1. wiki expansion is broken on some browsers: Clicking "Click here to display Full Wiki" merely jump to top of Page

2. "like" isn't working (click to "like" a post and nothing happens, not even ARG4: UNDEFINED)

Seems like y'all hosed your Javascript code somewhere.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Photo uploads not working for some users: Unable to post pictures

Spurious/incessant nag messages about ad blocking: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...d-blocker.html (people who don't use any form of blocking are getting the nag message)

Congrats to IB on another thoroughly QAed software rollout!

EDIT rather than self-bumping:

- multi-quote button also does nothing if you click on it, which tracks with all the other stuff. I imagine it's anything wired up to a JS callback...
ryandc99 likes this.

Last edited by Zorak; Aug 12, 2022 at 8:15 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:45 am

When on safari incognito mode (iOS 15.6) when you open forum you have click accept twice (for cookies and privacy settings). However the button you first have to click is hidden behind the second one so you can’t click it . Only workaround is to ask for desktop site.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:21 am

Apologies for not knowing the technical terminology but some of the buttons/links on the forum aren't working for me on Safari or Chrome.

1. The folder links at the top left of your page - menu links. For instance FlyterTalkForums > Miles&Points>Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways Executive Club - I can't click any of them when normally I can.

2. Post Quick Reply and Go Advanced buttons not working. In order to post this I had to 'quote' a previous reply, input my text and delete the quote.

3. Uploading screenshots/photos. I cannot not use the 'upload from device' button as it does nothing - which would perhaps have made the explanations given above a bit clearer.....Furthermore, if you try to upload and realise you can't, none of the cancel buttons work so you have to back screen.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by marshy11
Apologies for not knowing the technical terminology but some of the buttons/links on the forum aren't working for me on Safari or Chrome.

1. The folder links at the top left of your page - menu links. For instance FlyterTalkForums > Miles&Points>Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways Executive Club - I can't click any of them when normally I can.

2. Post Quick Reply and Go Advanced buttons not working. In order to post this I had to 'quote' a previous reply, input my text and delete the quote.

3. Uploading screenshots/photos. I cannot not use the 'upload from device' button as it does nothing - which would perhaps have made the explanations given above a bit clearer.....
In addition to that:

The quick reply box seems smaller too. But that could be my imagination.

For point 1) I haven't suffered that issue with these changes but the last bunch of changes I did. It was an ad blocker ultimate issue for me and now I only have ublock origin active on this site.

Edited: I just noticed that ad blocker as one word results in ......... censorship!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

many reported issues work for me

I don't doubt that all the problems reported exist for the reporters. For once, I'm lucky. This is on a MacBook, macOS 11.6.8, Firefox 103.0.2.

Originally Posted by Zorak
wiki expansion is broken on some browsers
I only tried it on one wiki, but that one opened for me.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Spurious/incessant nag messages about ad blocking
[...]
- multi-quote button also does nothing if you click on it,
I do get the the two boxes with red title blocks on every page. Is that what you mean by incessant?

I used multi-quote to generate this response.
Originally Posted by marshy11
The folder links at the top left of your page - menu links.
I only tested it with one forum, and it worked. (I normally don't navigate that way.)

I did not attempt other reported issues, most notably uploading photos.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by serpens
I don't doubt that all the problems reported exist for the reporters. For once, I'm lucky. This is on a MacBook, macOS 11.6.8, Firefox 103.0.2.

I only tried it on one wiki, but that one opened for me.
Everything I reported is still unchanged/non-functional for me on Chrome. (And yes I have tried clearing my cache and disabling UBO)

Originally Posted by serpens
I do get the the two boxes with red title blocks on every page. Is that what you mean by incessant?
I misread the linked thread. However it does seem some people who don't use a blocker, are nevertheless getting the nag message. Will edit my original post.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:11 am

FWIW the above reported issues do not appear for me when using Opera in desktop mode on my Android smartphone (even with blocking turned on). So I agree that this seems browser/OS dependent.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I'm getting the nag boxes too. No ad blocker in use. Ads are showing as usual.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Notifications Drop Down no longer shows New Post Quotes

Even more breakage. Under the "Welcome, DELee" where "Your Notifications" would a) show a numeral + down indicator arrow and then b) a drop down when the down arrow was selected, neither is the notification count updated nor new post quotes shown in the drop down when new post quotes occur across FT.

This is really awesome. Not.

David
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:21 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I'm reporting all of these issues to tech. Thanks guys. Seems like the most pressing is buttons randomly not working.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Closed/archived threads now have drop downs disabled

1. Still logged into FT
2. Drop downs work in existing fora
3. Switch to a closed/archived thread - mine I picked COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive} - Page 104 - FlyerTalk Forums
4. Tried to use the drop down for "Search this Thread" - doesn't work. Additionally all other drop downs across the page not working. The three horizontal lines at the top left corner of the page are gone. Drop downs next to "Community", "Wiki Posts", etc. not working.
5. Tab back to prior active forum - all drop downs working

So much fun.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.