Reload this Page >

Issues related to rollout of FT "enhancements" 11 Aug 2022 or thereabouts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues related to rollout of FT "enhancements" 11 Aug 2022 or thereabouts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by moondog
Today I started a new thread and tried to edit my OP after the fact. However, when I clicked the edit button, my post field was blank. Next I clicked the back button and save changes. This resulted in a duplicate thread. I was able to edit the same post using my phone (Android).
Click on the "Go Advanced" button; the post will display and you will be able to edit it.
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
In addition, I can no longer see tweets that have been posted, in any browser.
+1
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA
I just can't type anything in the Quick Reply box at the bottom of any post. Type in there but nothing appears It also has all the format buttons greyed out except the font colour one. To put this in had to quote a post and delete what was being quoted.

MS Edge; I'm guessing it's browser-dependent.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
works fine on Safari (iPhone); didn’t have any issues w Chrome on a laptop yesterday
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jrl767
works fine on Safari (iPhone); didn’t have any issues w Chrome on a laptop yesterday
It still doesn't work for me on Windows/Chrome.

As an aside, crowd-sourced QA has its advantages (e.g. saving internal resources and getting millions of data points), especially if you are a government entity that doesn't have reputational risk. This is how things work in Shanghai (e.g. new health code app doesn't work, find out from 5 million people, fix),

But, when I worked in the Silicon Valley, internal QA was pretty important. You see, Yahoo had competitors; the Shanghai government doesn't.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It still doesn't work for me on Windows/Chrome.

As an aside, crowd-sourced QA has its advantages (e.g. saving internal resources and getting millions of data points), especially if you are a government entity that doesn't have reputational risk. This is how things work in Shanghai (e.g. new health code app doesn't work, find out from 5 million people, fix),

But, when I worked in the Silicon Valley, internal QA was pretty important. You see, Yahoo had competitors; the Shanghai government doesn't.
So are you saying that IB has no internal QA and/or that IB/FT has no competitors?

David
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by DELee
So are you saying that IB has no internal QA and/or that IB/FT has no competitors?

David
I honestly can't comment about IB QA, but-the Shanghai government can get away with anything it wants, and releasing unfinished products is honestly okay for them
-Microsft would get roasted if it didn't test its products before releasing them
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
For about 3 days, the layout/formatting on iOS Safari is almost unreadable. The ads get priority on 1/3rd the page.

Previously, the text (thread titles) spanned across the entire screen. Ad space was limited to reasonable amounts.

Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
-Microsft would get roasted if it didn't test its products before releasing them
I can assure you that Microsoft does regularly get roasted for releasing defective and buggy software. I regularly provide them feedback personally for $dayjob

The mantra these days used by software developers is to be as modular as possible keeping functions as discrete as possible, and then release small updates impacting a minimum number of modules often, so you avoid big updates that have lots of complex interdepencies and will typically have more opportunities for bugs because it's hard to cover every test scenario that your customers will subject the software to in their day to day lives.

So typically what big software outfits do where they can these days is to try to limit the blast radius of new releases by deploying new software in update rings. First internally to employees, then people who agree to beta testing, and then 1% of public users and slowly increasing to 2%, 5%, 10% all whilst keeping an eye on tickets and social media, and thereafter usually letting rip. The fun bit of this is that you don't know if you're in an early release update ring or not, and whether you're giving up your productivity to beta test software for Microsoft and others.

The forum software used by IB and is not so modern and is more monolithic in its nature, it's governed by the maker of the software, and because of this the updates are probably bigger, more complex, it's difficult to roll out incrementally, and has more chance of having unintended consequences. And I'm not making excuses for IB but testing all eventualities in these scenarios is genuinely hard, although I am sure they could improve their capabilities in this area, especially with transparency so those who can find this forum can proactively respond to the issues they discover.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by plunet
… The forum software used by IB and is not so modern and is more monolithic in its nature, it's governed by the maker of the software, and because of this the updates are probably bigger, more complex, it's difficult to roll out incrementally, and has more chance of having unintended consequences. And I'm not making excuses for IB but testing all eventualities in these scenarios is genuinely hard, although I am sure they could improve their capabilities in this area, especially with transparency so those who can find this forum can proactively respond to the issues they discover.
from zero knowledge of the industry or the domain, I also suspect that FT is only a small part of IB’s portfolio, so likely doesn’t sit too high on the priority ladder when it comes to fixes, updates, and the like
plunet likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
For about 3 days, the layout/formatting on iOS Safari is almost unreadable. The ads get priority on 1/3rd the page.

< photo not re-posted >
more like half, when you consider that the right side is essentially fenced off … this is what I referred to in Post 26 upthread

I thought about clicking the “Like” link, but didn’t want anyone to think I actually like the situation
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
more like half, when you consider that the right side is essentially fenced off … this is what I referred to in Post 26 upthread

I thought about clicking the “Like” link, but didn’t want anyone to think I actually like the situation
This is a separate issue IBJoel but about half of the time I click the "like" button, it gets recorded as <USER UNDEFINED> instead of "you".
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

Yep. I’d say it’s 1/2 this morning.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
I noticed issues with android phone (using Chrome app) of not automatically scrolling to next or previous page
Thought was me, but when continued today I found this thread..
Seems I can either view 1st or last pages only

That is as far as i can scroll down unless on last page
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:10 am

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Quick reply is still not working on Chrome.

And I still can't see posted tweets on any browser.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Assume this is also due to the update, using the desktop on mobile now results in weird formatting. The page only uses about have the screen, and I can no longer one tap to go to MyFlyertalk (a big reason why I don't use mobile skin). This is iPhoneXR. Has worked fine up until the 11th (and in-fact when the page initial loads, it loads the true desktop version for a split second taking up the whole screen then "corrects" itself to this weird mobile version.)

EDIT: And another fun one I spotted today on Desktop, the Quick Reply now has a clone of FlyerTalk inside of it:

Last edited by dinoscool3; Aug 15, 2022 at 9:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.